I feel like picking is unbalanced in ranked.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phracture

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2012

I'll be honest... I only agreed because ANY change for TT sounds good because it means that it is getting some attention and seeing TT in patch notes could even make some people try out TT more. I think the most effective picking system is stated above, the alternating between teams for both picks and bans one at a time.

WakeskaterX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2012

TT does need some love. It's hard to get 5 people together for ranked games consistently. 3 people however is quite doable and fairly simple.

2s/3s was way more popular than 5s in WoW for this reason. Scheduling with 3 is just way easier for casually competitive gamers.

Clubbems

06-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeskaterX View Post
TT does need some love. It's hard to get 5 people together for ranked games consistently. 3 people however is quite doable and fairly simple.

2s/3s was way more popular than 5s in WoW for this reason. Scheduling with 3 is just way easier for casually competitive gamers.
Yeah. =\. I have 4 friends that play LoL and are actually somewhat good.

One of them quit for DotA (He will only slightly be missed. He was our jungler and he was okay at it.)

The other ONLY plays when we do ranked TT, and that's not often.

Eryn

06-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
Great points. I'll add it to the things I'm looking at
Twisted Treeline is not entirely about counter picking. Most of the best champions in Twisted Treeline are incredibly powerful bruisers and or tanky mages who have very few counters / none at all.

The reason purple team gets to pick twice after blue team picks once is so that they can have a better chance of getting more champions that are 'OP'. Blue team gets first pick, almost always guaranteeing they get a very powerful champion (unless both teams outright banned every powerful champion, which shouldn't be happening), and as such purple team gets the next most powerful champions.

Let me try and set an example, the strength of these champions is purely my opinion.

Blue first pick: Singed
Purple second pick: Jax
Purple third pick: Lee Sin

OR with the proposed change:

Blue third pick: Lee Sin

Purple team now has big problems. Not only that but because they have second pick, and ONLY second pick, they would have to worry more about making sure more 'OP' champions are banned.

Let's take a look at some of the very top tier, incredibly powerful champions on the Twisted Treeline, I'm talking ones that basically secure wins, regardless of skill.

1) Singed
2) Jax
3) Lee Sin
4) Dr. Mundo
5) Kennen
6) Darius (unlike in Summoner's Rift when this guy kill steals it isn't as big a deal)

Now there are 6 of these 'ace in the hole' champions. In the current scenario now, if blue team doesn't ban any 'OPs' (they are first pick) and purple team uses all three of their bans on 'OPs', then the following would happen:

Blue team first pick: OP
Purple team second pick: OP
Purple team third pick: OP
Blue team fourth pick: Not OP

With the proposed change, blue could ban no overpowered champions, and even with purple banning as many as they could, blue would get more of them.

I know there are an incredible amount of possibilities when it comes to banning and picking in ranked 3s, and that it's a major part of the game. I just gave a few examples. Personally I think the way that champions are selected at this point in time makes perfect sense, but then again, that's just me.

Clubbems

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by E1C View Post
Twisted Treeline is not entirely about counter picking. Most of the best champions in Twisted Treeline are incredibly powerful bruisers and or tanky mages who have very few counters / none at all.

The reason purple team gets to pick twice after blue team picks once is so that they can have a better chance of getting more champions that are 'OP'. Blue team gets first pick, almost always guaranteeing they get a very powerful champion (unless both teams outright banned every powerful champion, which shouldn't be happening), and as such purple team gets the next most powerful champions.

Let me try and set an example, the strength of these champions is purely my opinion.

Purple team now has big problems. Not only that but because they have second pick, and ONLY second pick, they would have to worry more about making sure more 'OP' champions are banned.

Let's take a look at some of the very top tier, incredibly powerful champions on the Twisted Treeline, I'm talking ones that basically secure wins, regardless of skill.

1) Singed
2) Jax
3) Lee Sin
4) Dr. Mundo
5) Kennen
6) Darius (unlike in Summoner's Rift when this guy kill steals it isn't as big a deal)

Now there are 6 of these 'ace in the hole' champions. In the current scenario now, if blue team doesn't ban any 'OPs' (they are first pick) and purple team uses all three of their bans on 'OPs', then the following would happen:

With the proposed change, blue could ban no overpowered champions, and even with purple banning as many as they could, blue would get more of them.

I know there are an incredible amount of possibilities when it comes to banning and picking in ranked 3s, and that it's a major part of the game. I just gave a few examples. Personally I think the way that champions are selected at this point in time makes perfect sense, but then again, that's just me.
That's true. Sadly it's part of the reason 3s need to be looked at. honestly when I play, my team tries to ban out as many of the top tier characters as we can. Usually people go for tryndamere, and I'm quite fond of pulling out Teemo to mess with him. Same goes with jax.

In all honesty I'm not entirely sure how to respond to this, as for the most part you're right.

hotfire

07-01-2012

I hadn't thought of that, but I see your (op) point. Im inclined to agree with your proposed solution.

IPulsar

07-01-2012

Even your system is flawed.
Blue team first: Strong pick
Purple team second: Counter to previous
Blue team third: Strong pick
Purple team fourth: Counter to previous
Blue team fifth: Strong pick
Purple team sixth: Counter to previous.......

See where this is going and why even your method wont work?

Ooodlebug

07-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by E1C View Post

1) Singed
2) Jax
3) Lee Sin
4) Dr. Mundo
5) Kennen

I have to completely agree with this guy. Also, sure maybe they get a completely top OP champ like Singed but honestly, it's all about HOW you play as well. It's all about out smarting your opponent and not making those stupid mistakes. It's about getting the skills and knowing your champ(s). My friend plays Karma in 3's and woops butt, lawl. It's about your technique and being smart. That's one thing I like about any ranked whether it's 3's or 5's... the people you are playing against are going to play someone they are good at... take that time to learn techniques to bring that champ down. A constant learning experience.

The Chaingang

07-02-2012

This is a must. Can't agree more.

Razekal

07-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLostxxSoulx View Post
Even your system is flawed.
Blue team first: Strong pick
Purple team second: Counter to previous
Blue team third: Strong pick
Purple team fourth: Counter to previous
Blue team fifth: Strong pick
Purple team sixth: Counter to previous.......

See where this is going and why even your method wont work?
Or blue team could just counter pick the counters instead of blindly picking the strongest picks without thought.