The Birth of a Prophet: Malzahar's Tale

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MasqureMan

03-31-2013

I hear its voice upon my ear once more. I feel its cool breath pass over my skin, but I convince myself it's just the wind. The Shurima desert is harsh and unforgiving to men, yet I am no mere man. I am a seer, and so it sustains me. Shurima keeps me cool at night and warm in the day. When the stars align in a dark night's sky, I see visions of a better future for these desolate plains of sand. I see my people happy again.

Nothing has been easy for us. We are blessed with seers every generation, but that is the greatest gift life offers us. We struggle for our food and labor to build our shelters. Shurimians marry fast and perish faster. For these torments, we have but one gift, one boon to set us apart from all the other people out there who have a better life: the seers.

I am blessed with the gift of second sight. As we say, "Second sight ordains it." And with that, a seer's words are as good as law, as good as a god's decree. If I say water is to the west, then my people move west. If I say war is at dawn, then my people sharpen their blades. With this blessing comes power and with this power must come modesty. I cannot let my gifts lead my ambitions astray, lest my people follow me to ruin. There has been enough ruin in this desert.

As I look for ways to restore our people to glory, like the stories of times before the Rune Wars, the voice whispers to me again. It wakes me from my sleep and I must move my comfort girl slightly aside as not to disturb her. I walk out and look to the stars and plains ahead. For all our worries, there are few sights in all the world as serene as the desert at night. I remember my mother's voice, guarding me against the temptations a seer would face. She used to say, "Al'zahar, do not fear. Trust your sight and not the sounds you hear." I loved her very much, but she suffered too long in these sands, in this heat. If the voice will help me restore my people, then I will see what they have to say.

I am told there are ruins far east that none before have seen. I hear there are spoils untouched by scavengers and relics as powerful as they were in the times of their creations. We all know of the pyramids and any attempt to explore them is fiercely contested and debated by our council, with conversations often ending with little more than speculations. But they know nothing of this place. With treasures like these, we could prosper with little fear. Shurima would be feared and respected again.

I set off three nights after the voice has told me of the ruins. Icathia, it says, holds my future and that of my people. I began to gather supplies, it told me I shall not want for bread or water. I shall not need a compass, a map, or a companion. All I would need is my sight and the voice, and so I listen and I see the path before me.

The Outside, it begins to tell me, is a place of wonder. Creatures never before seen and never before heard of roam and seek to find new lands. Their home is running low of resources and soon they will perish. I am a seer to my people, but only a cold soul would turn their back on others in need.

It has been eight days and eight nights and I have felt no hunger or thirst, no nausea or fatigue. If the Outside can do this for my people, then we would want for nothing. We would outlast all other nations. I will ask the voice to grant my people these boons in time. For now, I have just seen Icathia. And it is glorious.

The obelisks, the stones that are more than stones, they are Icathia. Here, I feel new life. I feel purpose. There are things here not meant for man to see, but I am no mere man. I look upon them and see falling buildings that have never truly crumbled, I see chaos, yet it is still. Yet, it is everywhere. I am everywhere. The Outsiders, the Otherworlders, the Void. It can all start here.

Many nights have passed, or perhaps none at all. I have studied the works, the idols. I know them now. Cho'gath will be the first, the harbinger, the terror that will show the world what wonders the void will bring. He will not harm me, for I am his shephard. I am his friend.

The next ones will take many forms. I cannot see them clearly, but they have mouths that can consume all things that enter, bodies that will adapt to this world. There is another like me...but unlike me. Not like me. He will not like me.

The Voice has shown me the truth. Shurima was a home for a man led astray by the visions of a forgotten people, but now I can truly see. Now, I see a world in beautiful chaos. I see the Void made free and untamed, in all it's glory. I see two worlds becoming one and I know that is my purpose in life. To be it's prophet, to tell it's wonders, to be as a shepherd for its creatures.

All at once, the visions rush through me and lift me unto the air. I am told my feet need not every touch the ground again. As of now, my body will be as the Void shall be: free, ever floating, untamed, omnipresent. I shall go where I please and bring with me my servants, my voidlings. The paths of the Void will be made open to me, as I am their salvation and shall not fear their urges.

I am told that I shall one day join a League of heroes and monsters, madmen and gods. I am told that Void must be as a nation before it can be everything, consume everything. I am told I will bleed over the ground of this Summoner's Rift, but it will be the blood of my people and they will praise me for my sacrifice. It is all I can do for my people. I am but a humble prophet.

MasqureMan

04-02-2013

How has this gone through 200 views and not even an up or down vote or a comment?

saladeo

04-03-2013

Lurkers that is the reason, also it is kinda hard (lazyness) tolog in, there are like 12 people that use to coment (toug) making exception for some well known fanfics, as for your FF, it is awesome, again sorry for the lack of upvotes/posts, looking forward more of your FF, this is pretty awesome, your narration is cool, like ashe or sej, i feel simpathy for Malhazar.

Roayel

04-03-2013

Seems pretty neat, I think I'll read the whole thing when I have time.

MasqureMan

04-06-2013

Thank you for your comments and compliments.

Fiestaware

04-06-2013

The story is a bit boring. It's just internal monologue about how much he cares about "his people." He keeps telling me he is no mere man, that he has heard this and that, that he has lots of responsibilities, etc etc. What is this even supposed to be? Where exactly is the "tale" in this?

MasqureMan

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestaware View Post
The story is a bit boring. It's just internal monologue about how much he cares about "his people." He keeps telling me he is no mere man, that he has heard this and that, that he has lots of responsibilities, etc etc. What is this even supposed to be? Where exactly is the "tale" in this?
I wanted it to reflect the weight of his people who have fallen from glory on his back, the importance of being a seer in the Shurima society, and his fall from those goals to the Void. Looking through the lore, I read that Shurima used to be a hugely advanced society before the Rune Wars tore the place apart and left it the pretty barren desert it is. The Shurima people don't really have any claims to fame anymore beyond that they are born as seers every now and again, which is a highly respected position and ability. It made since to me that the weight of bringing their people back to their former glory would fall upon those who can see the future.

We read in Malzahars lore that he is being spoken too and led to the ruins of Icathia, and this reminded me a lot of Arthas was the Warcraft series being led to his fall by the Lich King's voice. I wanted to portray how I think that internal monologue may be taking place.

Arcade Malzahar

05-08-2013

Bro, I have to start by saying that you have a very clear and vivid, almost seer-like grasp of Malzahar and his culture. I do not believe that you get enough credit for this little dialogue. I can see just from the first read, that you have gained mastery of Malzahar's misguided ideology and have utilized what you know and created to fit perfectly into your own addition to Ezreal's Lore.

I am currently trying to raise awareness of Malzahar and am eagerness to have him bumped up the visual enhancement queue.

We should play sometime.