Australian LoL Players

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoGoGadget

Senior Member

06-26-2012

Bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axecution

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrix View Post
*snip*
It would all be proportionate to the playerbase. The costs, (which again even 5x the costs for bandwidth seems ridiculous) have to be proportionate to the Oceanic playerbase, which is about 2-5% of the total population.

As far as having live support and community managers. That much is a given. But the content, artwork, balance decisions, etc would all be carried over. None of that would require Riot to hire new staff. While they would need a new HQ to facilitate for the new server the costs wouldn't be so high that it wouldn't be profitable.

What seperates LoL from other online games in Oceania is the sheer volume. Due to the massive amount of players who play and the business model Riot employs it is economically feasible.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dazrix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-26-2012

Axe, it's not ridiculous.....

I bet all of you think it's absurd to hear that you can buy Alcohol in Japan via a vending machine.... yes... a 6 yr old has access to the purchase of alcohol..

In the US, they don't get download limits like we do, they only have 'how fast can I download at?' rather then 'how fast, how much, what happens if I go over X amount?' like we do...

it's not unreasonable... We don't even have nation wide broadband availability yet... How does this not process in your little adolescent head?

If you tell me you're above the age of 20, then I would say you're just pure ****** and go learn something in the real world.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axecution

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrix View Post
I wouldn't transfer. You, wouldn't transfer...
I just said I would transfer. I would be willing to pay a $20 worth of RP to transfer my account to the Oceanic servers.

Quote:
why? Because the ping is gay as aids, but it isn't unplayable like over exaggerated in this thread. Australians have been playing in these high pings for years and years. We're accustomed to them.
These contentions have all been addressed in this thread already. The latency results in a reduction in quality of the content and places us on an uneven playing field.

Also, being accustomed to inferior service isn't something to be proud about. We pay the same amount for RP (in terms of costs to us) for less service, updates during peak hours, high latency and a lack of local community support. Again, nothing to be proud about and legitimate reason for us to petition for local servers.

Quote:
They'd be paying for LONGER queue times, they'd be paying for alot of cons...
I already addressed this contention too. I played just after beta (probably overlapped for a while) and the playerbase was perhaps even smaller than it is in Oceania alone. The queue times were never a problem except for the outliers and even then, only because it was uncapped for a while. (Riot would reset the highest Elo to 2400 to reduce queue times in normal games where a team could ahve 12,000+ combined elo.)

Quote:
*snip*
What in the? Did you just argue that the Oceanic servers would cost 5x as much to maintain as the US servers?...... Okay, you don't have to post any more. Thanks for your time.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axecution

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrix View Post
Axe, it's not ridiculous.....

I bet all of you think it's absurd to hear that you can buy Alcohol in Japan via a vending machine.... yes... a 6 yr old has access to the purchase of alcohol..
What does this have to do with anything? That might as well be a red herring.

Quote:
In the US, they don't get download limits like we do, they only have 'how fast can I download at?' rather then 'how fast, how much, what happens if I go over X amount?' like we do...
Actually, "Unlimited" bandwidth usually means 250gb worth of data (which is invisible to the user). If the user exceeds the invisible bandwidth cap 3 consecutive months they are usually throttled or can have their contract terminated. So, it's not as you say. They have invisible bandwidth soft caps in the US too.

Quote:
If you tell me you're above the age of 20, then I would say you're just pure ****** and go learn something in the real world.
And... an Ad Hominem. Awesome way to end your post. Please stop posting. Your argument is riddled with logical fallacies.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cooksta

Senior Member

06-26-2012

Australian game servers have been tried, tested and have failed multiple times.

Don't get me wrong, I support the cause 100%, but in the past 15+ years of online gaming, I've only seen one company commit to Australian servers, and the game failed so badly that it makes me cringe when people use it as an example.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axecution

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooksta View Post
Australian game servers have been tried, tested and have failed multiple times.

Don't get me wrong, I support the cause 100%, but in the past 15+ years of online gaming, I've only seen one company commit to Australian servers, and the game failed so badly that it makes me cringe when people use it as an example.
The sheer volume of Oceanic players though puts Riot in a truly unique position.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FuriousCowbell

Junior Member

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axecution View Post
What evidence do you have for any of what you've just claimed? 10 dollars for every dollar.... such a ridiculous claim like that should never be taken seriously.
Okay, order of magnitude was being overly enthusiastic, but still the differences in costs are staggering in comparison.

All the information for this is publicly available, or available with a quick phone call. The only major difference in locally hosted network services is bandwidth because AU data costs are so high.

That's why the majority of on line games that are hosted in Australia are done so at the local ISP level, and there are very limited services that provide mainstream access in Australia.

The few exceptions to this (SWTOR springs to mind) can do so for major two reasons, tax dedications (by paying additional business costs overseas, they can avoid paying taxes locally), and they consider those servers a loss leader in the sense of marketing.

I also question your assertion that my statement is ridiculous. This is a pretty standard feature of Australian telecommunication, and has been so for nearly 2 decades now, it should be of no surprise to you.

Here's an example, we rent servers USA (because they have servers between AU and our primary customer base). They are dual Quad core Xeon, 92gb ram, 1gb/s fibre, and 50TB of data per month for roughly $3500 per server.

We use almost all of that 50TB per server per month. To host in AU, we would generally be limited to 3 or 4 TB plans that are the same price as the US ones, and having to pay excess on bandwidth on top of that.

Because we buy in bulk, I'd estimate that our excess bandwidth would be in the realms of $0.24 cents per GB in excess of 4TB. So, let's say that we only use 45TB on average per server, that's 41TB to purchase at $240 per TB, or $9,800 in excess data fees per server per month. Add in the $3,500 for the actual rental price per server per month and we are up to $13,300 per month, per server. That's 3.8 times the price to run the game locally than it is to run it in the US, and that only assumes that we get a very excellent rate on bandwidth.

The price of bandwidth in Australia normally defaults for around $1 per GB for relatively small wholesale consumers. We've had many organisations who wouldn't budge on that number (unless we were someone like EA I suppose). At $1GB that 41TB of extra bandwidth would cost $41,000 per month, per server taking our total cost per server to $44,500 or 12.71 times our current price (or an order of magnitude).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axecution

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousCowbell View Post
*snip*
Pretty reasonable post. However as I explained, by increasing the cost of RP by about 20% to the user, the increase in server costs coupled with having a major division of labor onto existing staff make it still economically feasible.

So I think we've all factored in the increased costs. But sites like Ausgamers are sitting on 20tb-30tb/month and still doing fine.

Would Riot lose money? Not really. It might even attract more players and give them reason to commit more to Riot games. Also, since LoL is Riot's only title at the moment, if they at some future date release new titles having a base in Oceania would be beneficial to them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Axecution

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

06-26-2012

bump