[Guide] Kayle, the Judicator: Tank/Support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WhyFye

11-13-2009

Hello. Like RompeCabecito I find that investing pts in Righteous Fury makes Kayle a good farmer. Just my two cents.

A question though: what's better? The bead/charm combo, a Regrowth Pendant, or Doran's shield. THe +9 armor early in the game should be awesome. I'm not sure though. (But it does delay your builds as the Shield builds nothing.)

Klinkin

11-14-2009

I ignore all Doran items, but that's just me. The bead/charm combo is nice for the double regen, but a Philo stone does the same thing better. I usually start with a Regrowth, but you could get a Meki if you find yourself out of mana more than health. Once you get to about lv 6, you should probably go back once to get the Philo stone and maybe Ninja Tabi so that you don't get overpowered in your lane.

WhyFye

11-14-2009

Hmm interesting thought --- start with a Meki. I got so lost with the guides that I forgot the first suggested item. Thanks!

Quote:
"Once you get to about lv 6, you should probably go back once to get the Philo stone and maybe Ninja Tabi so that you don't get overpowered in your lane."
Once. Thanks! That's useful advice for us first timers. Frequencies of returns are never really covered in guides.

Phiphler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

11-15-2009

I just tried playing her with Tiamat first. I had offensive Mastery, Rally/Teleport.

It worked really well I must say. Early Tiamat allowed for some immense farming. After Tiamat I bought Berserker's Greaves and Stinger, which I made into Nashors. At that point, I hit like a truck, but had little survivability outside of Bubble and Blessing. I leveled Righteous Fury before Reckoning, which helped further with farming.

Next item I bought was Malady. With these items I could hit really hard, giving our Ashe a run for her money. Even the enemy Amumu went down quickly if he wasn't with his team.

The battle raged back and forth at this point, we lost towers and an inhib, we struggled for Nashor, but eventually we got a good push (at which point I had all 3 elixirs). We eventually won.

I can conclude that DPS Kayle is viable enough, but you need to be able to farm well early just like any carry. Will test with Smite to see if that works as well.

WhyFye

11-15-2009

Thanks. This whole "Can Kayle be a DPS?" thing arises from the fact that while playing as a tanker, you're basically hoping the DPS/carries of your team can win the game. My last two games I had 11 and 12 assists under my belt but we still lost the game. The carries weren't coordinating or just plained sucked.

I'm hoping Kayle can still be a tanker but still w respectable damage just in case the carry department of my team sucks.

Klinkin

11-18-2009

Yeah, I find that noobs tend to pick carries more often than not, leading to the better players choosing a tank or support instead of a carry. Then the team looses. I'm working on a "carry conversion" build (when you realize 20 minutes in your carry is ****). First and foremost is Atma's.

Crunx

11-19-2009

Good guide.

I would recommend most people to go more of a support/tank build than trying to build attack speed/ability power. Her ultimate is one of the best in the game, and if you picked her you should have a carry/dps hero on your team.

I think your points about her heal are spot on. Early game, because of the low mana cost, it is one of the best abilities to get as your nuke is more for the slow until you get some AP.

for summoner items, a rally on her makes her just about unstoppable. well timed shields and heals (even for a speed buff) will force the other team to commit to a hero, then you can drop your banner and watch as you ace them.

Klinkin

11-21-2009

Ok, tried a AP/caster build for Kayle. It worked. I went 6/0 and only wound up getting a Nashor's Tooth and Soul Shroud. Adding it onto the guide.

Khan Dingo

11-24-2009

Hmm so: boots - Warmog's - SShroud - Nashor's?

EDIT: I tried this: Philo Stone - basic boots - Madred's Razors - Warmog's Armor - Aegis of the Legion.

I was going for a Frozen Heart when the game ended in our favor. All in all I had only 5 kills (I average 3-7 kills when using Kayle but I make it a point that in every huge battle I'm there.) I find it fun protecting buddies and frustrating enemies. Oftentimes they focus fire on one team mate, wasting nearly all their spells on one enemy. Then I bubble the would-be victim. Then my mates slay the opposing group.

I think Kayle is fine as she is. If you want kills, she's not the champ to pick. However, if you're a teamplayer, she's one of the best in denying kills.

A word of warning though: it gets frustrating if you play as Kayle and the DPS department in your group don't play their parts/are newbies. I'd suggest trying her out while playing with RL friends. In a coordinated group, she's one valuable asset.

She's also very hard to kill:
*******http://www.uploadgeek.com/thumb-D96A_4B0C2702.jpg********

EDIT 2: People are right about her pitiful farming skills though. I played Taric 5x and the difference in gold income was glaring to say the least. You really need to score last hits with this champ or be with a very good team for you to rack up the KA-CHING!s with this hero. (That's why I picked the Razors right after Philo; they confer a minion insta-kill probability.)

Next game I'll probably try Frozen Mallet after the Aegis.

Mr Tibbers

11-24-2009

When I play her I run my typical tank build.

Ruby Crystal
Phage (From Ruby)
Boots
Tabi (From Boots)
Warmog's (Piece by piece. Better that way.)
Atma's
Frozen Mallet (From Phage)

It takes a while thanks to her bad farming, but with some proper last hitting and lucky kills, it should be fine. I sometimes finish Mallet and go straight to Atma's too, if I'm feeling weak. I actually got this build from The Senate's "Atma's Gangtank" thread. For GP, I had thought, and still do, that it was an odd build. I've seen it work wonders on other tanky champs though, and now run it for Mundo and Kayle regularly. I want to try it with Nunu and Nasus next. :O