Is max CDR worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dannybambam

06-15-2012

For some champions...yes. An example would be ryze as he relies on his cooldowns and can spam more spells with his passive.

DarkenDragon

06-15-2012

the question really becomes, how fast can you cast your spells. and do you have the mana/regen to support that speed.

if you have a champion who needs to constantly cast spells, such as annie who gets a stun every 4th cast, then you might wanna invest into some CDR such as frozen heart and unholy grail, the grail will garentee you'll have the regen to support the constant spaming

the other question is can you use all the stat from those items, if you cant then theres no real point in getting them, if you can, then theres no reason why you have to think about not getting it. simple as that

SodiumAzide

06-15-2012

It also depends on what sort of cooldowns you speak of. Paradoxically champions with pretty short cooldowns often benefit more from cdr than long cooldown champions. The reduction of a 20 second ability to a 14 second ability might be the difference between 1 and 2 casts in a protracted fight but that isn't a sure bet. It could just mean the same 1 cast you had before. A champion who has an 8 second ability going down to five can be certain that that he is going to get at least 1 or more casts, and a 4 second cooldown becomes a spam ability.

Likewise if you can reduce an ult with a 3 minute cooldown to a 2 or so, that doesn't really matter much. But a minute down to 30 or so seconds means that you can use your ult trivially.

For example, CDR is very powerful on yorick as he has all small cooldowns and benefits from being able to have all abilities active at all times. Cdr is powerful on Ziggs because he has abilities that become spammable and an ult that can be used reliably every fight.

Generally speaking you want to ask what am I hoping to achieve with CDR. If the answer is 'kill someone' then ask is it going to make a difference in ONE fight that lasts less than 10 seconds. Otherwise you might want to invest in buffing the damage of each of your spells instead of making them faster recharging.

Leonixxiii

06-15-2012

I run full cdr on my Lux, it makes her an insane poker with skills at 6.6cd at most, and her ult drops to 24secs.

pew pew!

Aggressive Ewe

06-15-2012

I'd say it depends on your strategy. If you're looking to create a strong lockdown with your abilities then CDR is imperative as the lower the time, even if it's Soraka or Evelynn, the better. Otherwise it may not be useful.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-15-2012

When trying to figure out whether CDR is valuable or not, consider the following:

a) Do I have a skill that is short enough cooldown to be used multiple times in a fight? Reducing a bunch of 15 CD skills to 9 just isn't super helpful as they tend to be once-per-fight skills anyways.

b) Am I a burst caster or sustained damage? A burst champ would rather boost their damage they can drop at once, vs trying to boost sustained dmg thru CDR.

c) Note that the more CDR you have, the benefit INCREASES PER POINT. 10% CDR = 11% more spamming per unit time period. 40% CDR = 67% more spam per time period.

d) A tougher champ benefits more from CDR since they are more likely to live long enough to use their skills more often.

e) An autoattacker usually avoids cooldown reduction as it just isnt' as helpful. Their skills are usually longer cooldown once per battle ones.

f) Looking at Scaling ratios is helpful too. For example a Soroka would need like 7000+gold worth of AP to increase her Starfall by 67%. But 40% CDR which costs around 1600-2000g worth increases her Starfall DPS by 67% too! Due to lower AP ratio and relatively high base damage, a spammable skill like this is more helped by CDR.

g) If the champ has an Ult that is really key with a long CD, some CDR can be really beneficial. Malphite for example, or Malzahar. Having Ult available at every fight is really important! Even though Mal doesnt super benefit from CDR for his other spells, the CDR is tempting just for his ult availability.

You really have to look at CDR on a PER-CHAMP-BASIS, but hopefully these general tips are helpful.

Wolfalisk

06-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
Mordekaiser and Vlad should itemize for 40% CDR.. Why? Because their damage output is only limited by their cooldowns.

CDR is also very viable on a lot of other Tanky AP Champs, like Amumu, Chogath, etc.
Getting to use your abilities twice as often doesn't mean anything if you do zero damage.

Insípid

06-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoelith View Post
most ad, bruiser tops and ad/bruiser junglers can do without cdr since they use auto attacks for a good chunk of damage

ap's tanks and supports are reliant on spells for the most part and need cdr
most tanks normally just get a glacial shroud>frozen heart
supports get it naturally from support items such as zekes, shurelyas reverie, ect.
aps are most situational depending on the champion, the only two real items that offer cdr for an ap that are useful are DFG(great item overall for aps) and athenes unholy grail, which depends more if the champ has mana problems even with blue

blue buff counters more cdr problems for ap mids
That first part is so wrong. There's a reason that ppl build brutalizers top. Cheap for what its worth. 10% CDR on renekton is OP. Riven with CDR, too much escapes. Olaf with CDR spam dat E. Lee sin with CDR spam his passive. Darius with CDR dat ult and E OP. I can go on forever. a brutalizer is so crucial not only because its armor pen and dmg but because of that CDR.

Insípid

06-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowGgPrettyEzTho View Post
Getting to use your abilities twice as often doesn't mean anything if you do zero damage.
Wrong too. If your a tank, your job is to be as disruptive as possible. well if ur alistar and you knock up and heabutt, without CDR whats left for you to do? run around in circles with ur ult? Tanks need the ability to spam disruptive skills as much as possible. As an AP carry with 9/0/21 thats like 10%- CDR alreay or so. Build a DFG or morellos evil tome thats 30%+ then u get blue buff. And you still have excellent damage output. Lets be serious here.

Gooby pls

Leonixxiii

06-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowGgPrettyEzTho View Post
There are a 13 CDR items, and 5 of them Have AP... Damage isn't a problem... Also factor in CC, and buff spells, CDR makes a big impact there.

As I mentioned I like full CDR Lux, and being able to toss out my snare, and shield every 6 secs Vs 10 is big, and frankly important to her survival.