Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

South americans need their own server/region

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kilcun

12-18-2012

Quote:
Immortalisboss:
A better solution to this problem is on registration asking players what languages they speak and then incorporating this into the matchmaking system to only pair players that speak the same language on the same team . Problem solved. I suppose someone could lie at what languages they speak but ultimately it's pointless.

To me this seems like a better idea than most. We can't ask RG to make 100+ servers for all the languages spoken around the world, but we can ask to be matched with teammates who speak a common language. Servers are a long term expense, while adding a parameter for language to the matchmaking may require little adjustment after proper integration.

As an English only speaker, I play many matches with people who speak other languages (I assume Spanish) and haven't found any real problems. If there are two English speakers and one who speaks another language then most of the time they play well and sometimes we win and sometimes we lose (hey just like normal). If there is one English speaker (me) and two who speak another language, then most of the time we play well and sometimes we win and sometimes we lose (hey, also just like normal).

I get a lot of games where there is a language barrier and I have found that for W:L with a language barrier not equal to W:L with no language barrier the p value < 0.05. Therefore, from my experience there is no statistical reason to separate individuals who speak different languages when only looking at winning and losing.

However, this is an online, social game. Having a language barrier does remove some of the fun, and can be quite frustrating (hey, just like real life). But, in the end, the game will finish and we must return back to our real lives (if only for a moment). And there we find that we interact with people everyday who are native speakers of other languages. How outrageous it would seem to ask for some organization to segregate us (yes, we are discussing online segregation) based on language. Language barriers are something we have to deal with. We should demonstrate some honor and respect.

Metshay

12-18-2012

I from Panamà.
Maeby Center America and Caribbean

Skelst

12-18-2012

I understand the OP's point but I am from Mexico and I've got no problem communicating with teammates from other countries. I enjoy the diversity. I usually only type in English unless I find out my entire team speaks Spanish.

What I do think this server needs is respect. I mistakenly typed a message in Spanish in a game while trying to reply to a friend with /r, and got a "Shut up you ****ing mexican" reply :/ That was sad.

WRYYYYYY

12-20-2012

It isn't a coincidence that low elos are filled with non-English speakers. They need their own server.

RossumEcho

12-29-2012

Quote:
PogoPogoPogoPogo:
By here, do you mean Canada? Because I'll agree, English is one of Canada's two official languages. The other is French.

And Spanish is Mexico's official language.

Both of these countries are North American, by the way.

And the United States? Yea, we don't have an official language. Nice try though.

I'm just going to point out something (I know this is late) but your posts after that make some pretty blaring assumptions about Canadians and especially French-Canadians.

English is what 99% of the population speaks. Only 1/10 provinces actually speaks mostly in French. Not to mention most schools there it is actually REQUIRED to LEARN ENGLISH (eg. Montreal. I've never met a person from there who wasn't bilingual). Is this game offered in French for NA? NO. But again, the majority of Quebecers know English and/or basic english.

But French IS NOT required to learn across the nation (in most schools)

So make that TWO english speaking countries in NA. If you want the play the numbers game, USA + Canada population>>> more than everybody else in NA.

And please stop using us an example. We cannot understand spanish people either.

Lil Cuddles

12-29-2012

I didn't read through the comments but there is a large enough market of Spanish speakers that they should have Region of their own... now I don't work for Riot so I don't know what their data plans are in the future but usually if I'm in a game and people speak another language all I say is 'I have no idea what you guys are saying, so if you want me to know something speak english please' and move on, its simple.

Azlaier

01-25-2013

bump