Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Morello: Any buffs for Lux?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1C3dR4K3

06-14-2012

As of right now, Lux is definitely one of my favorite champions in the game. With all of her skills being skill-shots, I find her extremely fun to play. That being said, why would one want to play Lux, when you can simply play someone like Ryze that can faceroll a keyboard with no skill shots, and put out more damage? Lux is, in my opinion, a somewhat high skilled champion, because you need to be able to aim and hit all of her skill shots in order to do any damage; but with not that big of a reward. Many other mages can out-damage her without requiring half the effort. Therefore, is there any chance that Lux will be getting some buffs in the future to possibly increase her damage output? Maybe add an ap ratio to her passive (hint, hint).

TL;DR: Lux is a somewhat high skill champion that has all skill shots, but doesn't have the damage out put of a low skill champion like Ryze. Therefore, Lux could use buffs to increase her damage.

This is simply my opinion.

Here are some of the suggestions that other players have posted in this thread addressing Lux:

Quote:
RadiantWings:
Lux has a lot of stuff that needs looking at, but it all pretty much stems from her root problem. The fact that her active skillset was made to be nearly identical to Morg's in terms of mana costs because of some misguided notion that her skills meshed the way Morg's did when in reality her playstyle and skill combos are so different.

All of Lux's spells cost the same amount as the equivalent skill does on Morgana with the exception of Prismatic Barrier which actually costs 10 more mana. This poses a serious problem since Lux has to spam her spells more often to get the same mileage out of them, especially in the case of Finales Funkeln which has to fire off 125% more often than Morg's Soul Shackles for the exact same amount of mana. Take into account that her combo is one way as well (Q-E-R) while Morg can also do (R-E-Q) and you have a character is is outclassed in internal synergy.

Then we have the issues where she doesn't have her invisibility anymore and so she can't properly trigger her innate later on without blowing up in 2 seconds or possibly get more life stolen from her than the damage inflicted by triggering the innate.

Lux just needs to be remade with the notion that she is her own character rather than all of these baby-buffs that have to be piled onto one huge buff in order for her to get anywhere. With the new tech that allows for things like Graves smokescreen, a pseudo invisibility would be easy to put on her to accomplish one of the traits that was supposed to define her at the start.

An example of what could be done:

Mana cost decreases to Q and R (E is fine where it is since it's a very good poke)

Attack speed increase
Attack range increase

Compare her to every other champion champion that has to auto to trigger their innate ability. All of them have either above average attack speed or range. Either one would serve Lux in helping her pull off her innate. She needs more than a band-aid for it on her ultimate.

-Illumination now scales with AP.
It's understandable that increasing the AP ratio on her spells might make her too powerful because of range (lol Xerath, Kog'maw and Ziggs who have better AP ratios and spammability) The obvious solution is to buff her risk vs. reward mechanic into actually being useful later on.

-Light Binding's cooldown is reduced by 2 seconds.
Light Binding is the key to Lux's skill combos. It is the ONLY FORM OF REAL CC SHE HAS. The reason you notice this is because she nearly HAS to hit you with it to guarantee the rest of her damage and because it's a very obvious effect. You can have Brand with a 2 second stun and all this other CC with other AP champions but Lux will always stand out because Rainbow circle Binding will always be visually distinct from them. Landing it guarantees her ult hitting and makes up for the fact that her E's travel time hampers its aoe slow effect. Late game it's severely outclassed by Dark Binding because the lower range and lower root duration simply can't be made up by sometimes binding a second enemy.

-Prismatic Barrier now creates pseudo brush for 3 seconds in addition to shielding for a far lower amount. This pseudo brush acts as brush against the enemy team while not affecting your team at all. The pseudo brush is visible to the enemy team though. In addition, it causes Lux to turn invisible for 1 second on use and when her baton comes back to her.
The brush effect is something I will always advocate for Lux. It has counterplay inherent to it being brush and visible to the enemy (just take CV against Lux for those critical moments.) The invisibility portion is a failsafe that is meant to allow Lux to trigger her innate or grant her some defense against characters that just dash into point blank range before she can snare. In addition, it would grant her much needed synergy with her kit, effectively allowing her to create chokepoints in the middle of the field to block with her E or allow her to bait enemies into a position that they can be lasered without Q.

No other changes needed. Utility buffs (making E's slow actually worth keeping it out) might be appreciated but aren't necessary.

Quote:
IMelchorI:

- ap ratio on the ult should go back up to .9 again. range should go up to 3500 or 4000 again too. it was nerved by a whooping 30% since release. but also the affected area and its cooldown. just the range and scaling up would be nice again. the laser is really what makes this champ and i feel it was nerved one too many times.

- she should gain vision on targets affected by light binding, so she wouldnt have to facecheck bushes and blindspots to know if she hit that blindshot and can follow up. or at least a sound as indicator for the hit would be nice.

- her passive needs a boost. her kit is designed for high risk/high reward. save damage at range and putting herself at risk to trigger that passive for an extra damage boost. though the risk of going in and triggering it is too high lategame for the reward. she goes into autoattack range and ad carries will hit her harder than she will for those 190 damage. its a bad trade. ap carrys are now in spell range and might simply burst her down. tanky champs just outright out sustain anything she can throw at them. so the best strategy on her always just seems to be to hang back and poke with q and e at range, without really using her passive to full potential.

- her manaproblems are still huge. though athenes and bluebuffs can fix that. i dont have a lot of problems with manasustain on her most of the time and i feel thats actually a point that needs less fixing or buffs than other aspects.

its simply, that shes one of the hardest to play ap carries in the game and other champions do more damage and/or are safer to play at the same time. (ryze, ahri, brand, etc...).

her passive should gain another component, so that its actually worth to take the risk and go in and trigger it later on in the game.

like more damage. or a stacking mr shred effect. or a level scaling short duration slow (like 1 second every time she pops the passive). or a short duration movement speed buff (like 5% for 3 seconds), so its easier for her to pull off a hit and run, after she lands a skillshot. or a small cooldown reduce on her abilities (like 1 second). or something that augments her shield for a limited duration. whatever. just something.

Quote:
HydrostaticShock:
Her passive isn't worth using past early game. I think that should be addressed. Here are some suggestions.

1. It should scale slightly with AP.
2. It should reveal targets who are affected with it.
3. Successful attacks against Illuminated targets reduce Lux's CD's by X seconds.
4. Successful attacks against Illuminated targets refund X mana.

TheJukeBox

06-14-2012

They dont really care about Lux, Ive been pushing for some QoL buffs for her for close to 6 months now.

Dont bother.

Rhumel

06-14-2012

Lux has too much cc and long range to match the output of others ap carries.

1C3dR4K3

06-14-2012

Well, if you don't try, you will never have a chance to bring it to attention. So, might as well keep trying.

AlphaQRough

06-14-2012

Inb4 TheJukeBox AAHEHEHEAHEHAHEAEAHEA

That being said, I've been saying this for a while but there's a fine line between buffing and outright making a champion overpowered. I think she's too high of a risk champion for too low of a reward compared to champs like Morgana/Gragas/Annie/Ryze/Cassiopaeia/Xerath/Ziggs. Which is really funny because Ziggs and Xerath are like upgraded versions of Lux but better. More range, more spammability, more mana regen, and definitely more damage. Plus Xerath has a hard CC, Ziggs is more soft but still does tons of damage (hi Phreak)

EDIT: **** Juke got here before I could write this up

basketofseals

06-14-2012

Quote:
Rhumel:

A 2 second root that hits for half to the person behind them and a slow that's only claim to usefulness is "at least it's better than make it rain"

Meanwhile with Morgana....

AlphaQRough

06-14-2012

Quote:
Rhumel:

Ahem. Gragas. Ziggs. Xerath.

1C3dR4K3

06-14-2012

Quote:
AlphaQRough:
Inb4 TheJukeBox AAHEHEHEAHEHAHEAEAHEA

That being said, I've been saying this for a while but there's a fine line between buffing and outright making a champion overpowered. I think she's too high of a risk champion for too low of a reward compared to champs like Morgana/Gragas/Annie/Ryze/Cassiopaeia/Xerath/Ziggs. Which is really funny because Ziggs and Xerath are like upgraded versions of Lux but better. More range, more spammability, more mana regen, and definitely more damage. Plus Xerath has a hard CC, Ziggs is more soft but still does tons of damage (hi Phreak)

EDIT: **** Juke got here before I could write this up

This is exactly what I feel like. If only Riot looked at these topics.

1C3dR4K3

06-14-2012

*Bump Until A Red Sees*

BareBackPlease

Recruiter

06-14-2012

If built correctly, Lux's damage is perfectly fine. Her passive could scale a little better, but that's more luxury than necessity. She's not suppose to be a pure AP carry like other mages hence the shield. The main problem is her mana problems. Even into late game she has one of the most mana issues.