How good is Swain?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cthullulu

03-22-2012

I have enough IP to either get Galio, Swain, or to save up a bit more to get Lulu. Any tips/why/why I shouldn't get Swain? I'm a fan of AP's~

Celtic Jack

03-22-2012

Swain is a master tactician. He is 5 steps ahead of you, and turns into a giant bird.

Galio, while really cool and stuff, cannot turn into a giant bird.

MoonsBane

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2012

Swain gets shut down hard by Ignite/Exhaust/Executioner's Calling. Harder than almost any of the other characters in the game. Why? Because he has to be right in the middle of the enemies and he has no escape. With his ult, he can possibly survive. But once that's cut in half he's as good as dead. Take cleanse and you'll be golden. he's a very high skillcap mage that excels in teamfights and 1v1's. Build him as a tanky mage and go for it.

iFeedOnFood

03-22-2012

He is just as awesome as this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

Xyrne

03-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Jack View Post
Swain is a master tactician. He is 5 steps ahead of you, and turns into a giant bird.

Galio, while really cool and stuff, cannot turn into a giant bird.
But on the flip side: Galio already has wings and talons built in. Also he can fly whereas Swain cannot.

NeonChinchilla

03-22-2012

swain takes a lot of practice but can eat faces in mid.

Galio is only good in mid as a counterpick to crazy burst mages like lb but otherwise probably better support bot or solo top.

Lulu is about the same as galio, she makes an ok counter but only to one or two champs. Overall you'll have more luck in bot.

I Enjoy Sunsets

03-22-2012

I really liked playing swain for a while. He has a surprising amount of burst if played right, and obvious sustainability (passive+ult). He takes a bit a practice to get used to though. Also, he is very blue buff reliant. With the recent nerf to blue buff, you have to be very careful about managing your mana and knowing when to turn your ult on/off. He has the ability to outnuke many ap carries and get some kills during the laning phase. He is also a good ganker and does very well in small skirmishes. For that reason he is very strong early and mid game. However, late game his damage tends to fall off once your opponents are tanky because it takes longer to kill them and you can't sustain your ult. Also as mentioned earlier, ignite hurts him a lot more than other champs.

A Small Neko

03-22-2012

All I know is that Swain has mad swagger with his hobble and his cane.

Typhnox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2012

Swain is pretty boss....

but god help you if you dont know how to manage mana.

Niceguydan8

03-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonsBane View Post
Swain gets shut down hard by Ignite/Exhaust/Executioner's Calling. Harder than almost any of the other characters in the game. Why? Because he has to be right in the middle of the enemies and he has no escape. With his ult, he can possibly survive. But once that's cut in half he's as good as dead. Take cleanse and you'll be golden. he's a very high skillcap mage that excels in teamfights and 1v1's. Build him as a tanky mage and go for it.
His healing gets shut down (by half) with ignite. If you build him tanky AP, ignite doesn't make him useless. I don't get why people say this everytime Swain is brought up.

Yes, ignite gives him healing reduction and some damage. No it does not make him useless. He still has a long range snare if worse comes to worse.

I personally can't afford to take cleanse. Then I miss out on ignite, which synergizes with E.