Beating Riven top

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sam Is Whoa

06-14-2012

I beat riven every time as rumble. Bait out her Q's and when she gets in a chase war E and W away and you take no dmg she takes alot. Q while she trys last hitting minions and melt her little by slow.

Admiral PARISH

06-14-2012

Anything with a disable counters riven like talon or malz. Vlad is also a decent counter if used correctly. but if you play poorly i'd suggest using talon and make sure you know where your jungler is for constant ganks. Shutting her down early is how you beat her lol. Also how do you lose the lane as shen? what runes are you running.

Gahlo

06-14-2012

Riven is very skill dependent. All things equal, Teemo is her worst matchup.

Riven has been nerfed already.

DrWhippy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiredKill View Post
Jax is rivens hardest counter. use him
not true at all

Renekton, olaf, shyv and wukong are very good vs riven

cloth + 5 pots is really good vs riven if she goes boots +3 pots as you can abuse brush and continuously poke at her.

Olaf has true damage and annoying lifesteal. Not many Rivens know how to beat Renekton, but if you go against one that goes shield first back off from trading until you get to level 9. Shyv's W gives her more speed and damage than riven with boots so abuse that. Wukong has really good poke that's hard to stop if the brush is abused.

Riven can just shield against Jax and hop away at the last second against his stun as his animations are long and predictable.

BlackJesus101

06-14-2012

the way to counter riven is by poking her hard without taking her poke in return she has no sustain and if she cant combo you she falls off very quickly put simply dont just stand there while she hits you poke her then kite her when she tries to jump on you

Maxijazz

06-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Tog View Post
Akali's a middle ground for Riven. A good Riven will beat a good Akali (and destroy a bad Akali), but if the Akali has the edge on skill it becomes a matter of who happens to outplay the other one. Akali can't hide from Riven's skill damage, Riven's shield means she isn't squishy even early-game (Akali can really only burst down squishies) and blocks Q harass, Riven has better escapes than Akali, and Riven's stun can mess up Akali's combo, but at the same time a lot of Riven's crazy damage comes from her passive, so denying her that lowers her burst damage to more manageable levels, if you play very cautiously.

The major issue with this, I think, is that a snowballing Akali is easier for a losing Riven to deal with that the other way around. The Riven can give up first blood and still win the lane unless she gives Akali 2 more kills, but the Akali doesn't have that margin of error to fall back on.
I like your post a lot, and you are absolutely right. The one thing though is that Q hits really hard if you get the double proc off on it and you have the right runes. This forces Riven to either chance some serious damage to last hit or back off. She can burst Riven down at 6 with triple dash because that 160 health from double dorans blades is not going to save Riven unless it comes with a giants belt.

I consider myself a very good akali player though, so that first blood is probably all I need against Riven. She does not have enough burst with only her abilities once I shroud and dash makes sure I can hit her hard as counter harass.

aphronyaa

06-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserxRain View Post
Darius counters Riven

Ren is a player skill. It's either persons to lose

I've heard Teemo, but don't/haven't seen it.

I think Fiora could take her.

Tryn gets pushed around lane to hard pre 6 to stand up to her. She'll out level you and possibly take the tower by then.
Fiora can *definitely* give Riven trouble, luckily she has no innate escapes(w/oQ) and tank as Riven does in a fight, too bad she can just press R.
Her quick trades actually beat Riven unless Riven extends the fight, because Q auto Q auto (with E and W), Riven wastes 1 charge of her AA by triggering W, at level 6 she can also dodge Riven's R and then kill her.

However, Riven can win lane with Heal + Ignite quite easily, you just have to time heal right.

hotfire

06-15-2012

A good riven will often avoid losing her lane because she is so flexible and can be played to different situations. The better you understand her the better your chances are, but every riven is different.

Sexual Healing

06-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJ View Post
Does anyone have decent vids of beating a competent Riven? I'd like to study it some.
Check archives on every stream/vid site you can find.

The only ones I remember are some old videos of Phreak doing Teemo vs. Riven.

Those are obviously outdated, and honestly, Phreak's mechanics are usually decent, but the guy doesnt know what a minimap is.

Another thought is Olaf but you had better take cloth pots for sure.

Good results from Darius, and some results on Cho, but Cho is definitely reliant on player mechanics to go either way (and mana hungry for the first couple of lvls). Silence, kite, sustain are good mechanics for a Riven counterlane.

Malphite?

Bėst Kat NA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-15-2012

can't shut down a good riven top unless your jungler camps him all day