Beating Riven top

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TylerJ

06-14-2012

Okay, I swear, every time I top vs Riven I feel like I'm being trolled; I've gone with WW, Panth, Shen, and ad ranged, and she just laughs at all of them. What is the correct counter to her? She has better burst than just about anything, but really good sustain, plus I head 0 about a planned nerf, which seems absurd.

How do I quit being trolled by Riven?

Lhuarc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-14-2012

Oddly enough Teemo shuts her down something fierce. I've done it as AP teemo and on-hit teemo, but I think on hit may work better for the trades she is so excellent at. But that blinding dart is Riven's worst nightmare, just make her pay everytime she tries to get into melee range, also shroom everywhere

TylerJ

06-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhuarc View Post
Oddly enough Teemo shuts her down something fierce. I've done it as AP teemo and on-hit teemo, but I think on hit may work better for the trades she is so excellent at. But that blinding dart is Riven's worst nightmare, just make her pay everytime she tries to get into melee range, also shroom everywhere
But doesn't she just AOE/shield it anyway, so she's still trading pretty well w you?

Insípid

06-14-2012

Jax is rivens hardest counter. use him

Lhuarc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJ View Post
But doesn't she just AOE/shield it anyway, so she's still trading pretty well w you?
Usually when I have faced her she starts to Q in and I can catch her with the blinding dart as shes jumping towards me and an usually follow it up with an auto attack to apply Teemo's poison. And let me tell you that blinding dart hits like a truck if you are AP.

TylerJ

06-14-2012

Does anyone have decent vids of beating a competent Riven? I'd like to study it some.

Little Boy Nate

06-14-2012

Be very cautious would be your best plan if you just want to generally beat her. I would recommend Akali because I have beat many a Riven with her, but she is my main and I'm pretty sure Riven counters her.

Get someone with poke and constant harass. A good example would be Caitlyn. Long range with good escape can mess up Riven. Similar to Teemo. Vlad maybe, do not know enough about him to make an educated answer about him but the other 2 should work well.

Blaine Tog

06-14-2012

Riven is really tough to beat in lane. She hard-counters a lot of champions, soft-counters most others, and at worst only goes even with most others. If she plays smart, she can beat anyone. Who do you usually take against her?

As Riven, I've had trouble against Darius, though less trouble than with other melee tops (the only close-range champion I've found that eats Darius alive is Akali).

Renekton is actually much stronger than Riven early game, but he falls off much harder than her during late midgame, so if you play as Renekton and don't crush the Riven, you still lost the lane

As mentioned above, a good Teemo can make her life difficult, but you have to either built Teemo very tanky or play super, super carefully as Riven can pretty easily burst him down from full and has enough dashes to keep up with his Move Quick. If the Riven is using her shield to block your poison DOT, she's not using it for trades or to grab quick last hits so you're still successfully wasting her cooldowns. It's a volatile lane.

I haven't tried it, but I'd imagine a Caitlyn could do well top against Riven, if you (again) play really cautiously. Go Wriggles, tap Riven with Headshots when available. This lane will run kinda like a GP lane except Cait can safely harass without losing out on safe farm, and she has an escape that actually works against Riven. Traps will keep you safe from ganks and make it harder for Riven to hide in the bush, and your ult might actually get a kill if you can poke Riven low enough.

Tryndymere is tricky for Riven. Before level 6, she destroys him, absolutely wrecks his face. From 6 onward, it becomes very difficult for her to burst him down and you have a shot at outplaying her. Trynd is also one of the few champions commonly taken top that scales harder than Riven (and oh holy **** does he), so freezing the lane and farming, spinning away whenever she tries to burst you, and using your fury to heal yourself wins you the lane if you just go even on farm. Don't misunderstand me, though: Trynd is absolutely not a counter to Riven. He just has the ability to interrupt her flow and doesn't need to kill her to win the lane.

As for strategy, the tried-and-true ways to win a lane work against her as well: freeze the lane at your turret and call for ganks. Riven's hard to gank, but she's not ungankable. If you're on blue side, have your jungler come up through the Tribush for extra ambush power. If you want to make sure the gank succeeds, ask your mid to help. Even with her dashes, Riven's going to have a very hard time getting out of a 3-man gank, unless you screw it up. If you can't get your jungler and mid to coordinate like that, just freeze the lane at your turret and farm. Call MIA frequently because a smart Riven will take this as an opportunity to roam.

Oh also, Riven has a really strong level 1, but she's much less versatile than she is once she gets her full kit at level 3. If you pick a champion with a better level 1 or can bait her into using her Q without hitting you, you can probably get an early kill if you took Ignite. If she took a Doran's Blade, though, this is probably a bad idea.

Hope that helps! I can give suggestions for other specific champions too if you point them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxijazz View Post
Be very cautious would be your best plan if you just want to generally beat her. I would recommend Akali because I have beat many a Riven with her, but she is my main and I'm pretty sure Riven counters her.
Akali's a middle ground for Riven. A good Riven will beat a good Akali (and destroy a bad Akali), but if the Akali has the edge on skill it becomes a matter of who happens to outplay the other one. Akali can't hide from Riven's skill damage, Riven's shield means she isn't squishy even early-game (Akali can really only burst down squishies) and blocks Q harass, Riven has better escapes than Akali, and Riven's stun can mess up Akali's combo, but at the same time a lot of Riven's crazy damage comes from her passive, so denying her that lowers her burst damage to more manageable levels, if you play very cautiously.

The major issue with this, I think, is that a snowballing Akali is easier for a losing Riven to deal with that the other way around. The Riven can give up first blood and still win the lane unless she gives Akali 2 more kills, but the Akali doesn't have that margin of error to fall back on.

Quick Rawr

06-14-2012

Tryndamere does fine against Riven up to level 6 in my experience as well.

I'm tired of people saying Teemo counters Riven, that's only if the riven plays poorly or the Teemo is EXCEPTIONAL.

I personally would go for Vlad against Riven. You should be fine throughout the early early laning phase, and once you hit 5 you'll stay at plenty high HP - farming with a/a and harassing Riven every time Q is up.

Aloretec

06-14-2012

Darius counters Riven

Ren is a player skill. It's either persons to lose

I've heard Teemo, but don't/haven't seen it.

I think Fiora could take her.

Tryn gets pushed around lane to hard pre 6 to stand up to her. She'll out level you and possibly take the tower by then.