ATTN Sauron: Jax

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MoeJackson

02-18-2012

Hey Sauron I wanted to ask you about how you build Jax. Your top elo and know your stuff so who better to ask!

I noticed you always get Trinity Force - Do you rush this as first priority or build it in parts?

When to Atmas?

What if anything do you build for sustain? Sanguine, Gunblade, other?

What do you buy for MR? Wits End, Hexdrinker or??

I guess I am wondering what a standard game Jax build would be for you and what your build order would be. I know how to counter build I am unsure what his most effective normal build would be and the order to best build it. So what would you say that is?

What runes and masteries do you run on him?

Also a bit OT but do you play Olaf or know anyone who does to great success? He is another champs I am enjoying and could use a few tips on.

Thanks, I appreciate your always helping our small Dominion community and making for some fun NESL viewing (your team as a whole)

Sauron

02-18-2012

I'm a fan of buying lots of item components and only upgrading them to the final product when they're either cost-effective or when I'm out of inventory space.

I go 21-9-0 with Jax and don't bother with magic penetration. 9-21-0 may be better -- not sure. Standard AD carry runes with CDR glyphs so I can itemize 30%. Always Exhaust/Revive so that I can switch to bot lane whenever needed.

Item build is usually something like this:

1). Boots, prospector's, pots.
2). Brutalizer because its very cost-effective.
3). CDR boots, vamp scepters, or phage depending on what I need.
4). Mercs if not CDR boots, then one of these: chain vest, more vamp, negatron cloak, or trinity components.
5). Finish Trinity then go for Ghostblade, Atma's, QSS, or more vamp (executioner's usually).
6). If I went Merc Treads, I get Zeke's as one of my vamp upgrades.

End build in a long game looks like:

1). CDR boots or Mercs
2). Trinity
3). Ghostblade
4). QSS or Sanguine
5). Executioner's or Zeke's
6). Atma's

Sometimes I'll do things like Hexdrinker or Gunblade, but Jax has all the things needed to make him a great AD champ and lifesteal works very well on him.

As for Olaf, I haven't played him much but MMKH has tried him out. He stopped when he deemed Olaf's trolling potential as unworthy. You'll probably have to use www.leagueofstats.com to see the builds he ran, as those games were a while ago.

Edit: Sorry, I thought he played more than just a few games with him.

ImCoolerOnline

02-18-2012

I figured Id throw in my two cents since i occasionally play Jax and have played with and against Sauron a few times. If you decide to build AP instead of AD I suggest rushing Nashors after your boots lvl 2 (usually merc treads), usually inbetween the 2 parts of nashors I buy the giants belt for the extra health eventually upgrading to Rylias as my next item. Next is usually wardens mail for armor from there I build depending on their team.

Early game looks like this;
1. Boots lvl 2
2. Nashors
3. Rylias
4. Wardens -> odens (eventually)

I find that if your team has some strong AD champs already this works well. I also like to get Ionic spark for the health and AS and proc for team fights but its prob not always the best item.

You can also go tank jax using a slightly off build with Ionic as ur only AS item which is also fun if you have a good team comp.

EDIT: Lol if someone has a better AP build theyd recommend please share rather than just downvoting something w no explanation. Sauron gave an AD based build but many times there are already 2 or 3 solid AD champs on a team and a 4th can be overkill.

Phourc

02-20-2012

I saw this a while ago, just posting to say I tried this and I'm extremely surprised at how useful Ghostblade is on Dominion.

Definitely having fun with this build haha.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2012

I was under teh impression that Jax had quite a bit of damage built in already and that he needed survivability. Yet your build is very offensive in nature with the only survivability coming from Trinity(health), Atmas(armor), merc (MR).

Youve found that the lifesteal is sufficient to stay alive? Especially with all the AD Casters with their high burst?

Tortferngatr

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
I was under teh impression that Jax had quite a bit of damage built in already and that he needed survivability. Yet your build is very offensive in nature with the only survivability coming from Trinity(health), Atmas(armor), merc (MR).

Youve found that the lifesteal is sufficient to stay alive? Especially with all the AD Casters with their high burst?
His ult? His E?

Volandum

06-18-2012

Is Last Whisper worth it, and if so at what stage?

Sauron

06-18-2012

LW is generally worth it whenever the opponent's armor hits 120 or so. I forget the exact number. You can pick it up at pretty much any point in the game and it'll be effective.

Levgre

06-19-2012

He is better generally with an offensive build as he synergizes so well with every offensive stat. However at lower ELOs, everyone will be gunning for you and your teammates won't all be good enough to require attention. Tanky is often better, as you will be a tank, whether you like it or not.

DiscworldDeath

06-19-2012

It's mostly people over 2,100 Elo who 100% focus me as a Jax, no matter what.