Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Support Veigar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deathcapt

06-11-2012

Support Veigar, WTF?

O.k. so I know Veigar is traditionally a mid laner / carry.

Buuut he has a ridiculous stun, and pretty solid base damage. His ult scales off the enemies AP, so if he's behind on farm he can still get a decent nuke on enemy casters. His stun messes people up in lane, and his base damage is pretty solid, and he usually can't really farm his Q until level 7 or 8, in which case he can grab an empty lane and ramp up Q quickly with a blue buff.

Amoc

06-11-2012

It's been said 1000 times before but I'll say it again.

There are lots of champions that CAN play support. There are much fewer, however, who are ideal at sustaining, protecting and setting up kills for your AD carry. Pantheon and Sion could play support as well. They have stuns which can set up kills. Taric, however, is much better at it, so people play Taric as support instead.

TooEzzz

06-11-2012

Non-reliable stun. Long CD. I rest my case.

ExecutionerK

06-11-2012

Reliable stun but long CD, good Veigar can instant stun anyone

But then once again, if he can land a perfect stun like that, he is better off playing as ap mid.

Mango027

06-11-2012

but then he won't be able to farm his Q, which is a good AP investment

St Viers

06-11-2012

Basically, the pros of support veigar:
1.AOE stun (pre 6)
2.Good ranged Harass
3.Kinda useful passive to outsustain enemy supports

The cons:
1.No help to your carry, outside of stun and harass
2.Has good scaling with items.
3.One of his best harassing tools pushes/steals cs

This means that if you are in a lane with someone that is okay with you doing this, and doesn't mind splitting cs (no reason not to q a minion every time you can last hit with it), you actually stand a fairly good chance of it working, as his e and w are pretty good at zoning out champions, and he wins fights against other supports really well. The only problem is the risk that comes from having no way to assist your carry (heal, buff) outside of a long cd stun that isn't guaranteed. It also means that if you do start losing lane, things are EVEN WORSE for your ad carry, because you were splitting cs and now the enemy's not behind anymore, meaning they are beating your carry in terms of gold.

Neko V

06-12-2012

One of Veigar's key points is last-hitting with his Baleful Strike for AP. Anyone can harass, buy GP/10, and eventually stack some support-y gear with little or no cs, but playing Veigar as a like that takes away the thing that makes Veigar particularly scary.
I would normally say that Veigar doesn't need much gear to by scary because of how much bonus AP his Baleful Strike ends up giving him, but intentionally starving him while not building regular caster gear makes him about as threatening as a declawed kitten.
I'm sure it's reasonable that you could get a bit of farm from empty lanes after people begin roaming, and you could probably build something other than boring "normal support" gear to make him more caster-y, but taking the support role to begin with would seriously hold Veigar back from reaching his maximum potential.
And besides, support is against his character: The support role is about letting your laning partner get as much cs as possible while keeping him or her alive, but Veigar practically screams "KILL EVERYTHING!"

midillusion

06-12-2012

Quote:
ExecutionerKen:
Reliable stun but long CD, good Veigar can instant stun anyone

But then once again, if he can land a perfect stun like that, he is better off playing as ap mid.

Anyone with a jump or dash ability can avoid getting stunned unless like you say he lands it perfectly, which is hard to do if the target is moving. That's not what I would call reliable, and there are much better champions with hard CC out there.

TsunamiNinja

03-09-2013

When I play Veigar support I take some CS here and there, getting a total of around 40 during the laning phase for my W (1:1). Typically, I use my W to scout bushes, E to stun, Q to harrass. But I find Veigar is much more usefull as a support for whatever reason. I've gotten penta-stuns or saved the people far too many times with stun for people to call Veigar support bad. I call him an unconventional Support, playing Soraka or Sona instead as needed.
*******http://i49.tinypic.com/1693w53.jpg********
http://tinypic.com/r/1693w53/6
Not sure how to use tinypic, but basically, even if I play bad in the first half of the game (last game I had), landing a good stun can change the teamfight or game. During one such game, I flashed over baron wall and stunned the WHOLE TEAM. Rumble ulted, madness ensued, they got baron but we got an ace.

KingSmizzy

01-13-2014

I play veigar support a lot and the only trouble i've had is with his early game squishyness. Since his ult damage scales with the enemies AP I stop building my own damage and just build CDR and tanky, namely Frozen Heart and Banshees Veil after completing the coin upgrades. The 'long cooldown stun' ends up being a 2.5 second team stun on a 6 second cooldown. and 'squishy' veigar outputs 600 dmg nukes to the enemy ap carry while being tanky enough to be able to run out into the enemy team to position that perfect stun.