Let's Have a General Discussion About Dominion

12345678 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CommodoreSkippy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post

A ranged AD like Ezreal or Kog'maw sitting in the back of a fight just free-DPSing contributes so much towards actually winning that fight it isn't funny.
So true, but you REALLY need to protect them. I can duel victoriously or defend for a while 2v1 on a turret as Kog'maw, but for an actual teamfight I need to be leagues away from trouble. Good teams prioritize champs like Kog, so they need a nice tank and/or a bruiser to intercept.

Another notable difference, I believe, is the turrets. When you lose a turret in SR, everything has changed, permenantly. The "safe" zones in the lanes and nearby jungle shift, which impacts ganks and the position of the laning champs. This happens in Dom, but much less so because you can reclaim a turret and only bottom lane has any real laning.
However, sometimes you do wind up with a wonky map configuration, and things get weird. Say you have each other's bots, you have top, they have the drill and the refinery is neutralized. It happens, and I can't help but laugh. their two points are right by your spawn, so your usual safest zone is now the most dangerous? But it's still dangerous to be near their spawn... however you do have their bot to hunker down under. And at least you have that linchpin point, top?
Hoo boy.

Nabonidus

06-11-2012

Dominion has a lot of good going for it. Fast-paced gameplay, lack of farming-centric phases, etc.

The problem is it's also an absolute mess balance wise. Riot's admitted as much.

DJTK

06-11-2012

And how do you balance the champions for more than 1 match type? With Riot's set up, you can't.

IMO, and I could be off base with this, they would need separate stats for Dominion. With that, you have twice as much work to do in terms of balancing.

Rebonack

06-11-2012

Riot could fix a lot of things through tweaks to the global auras. But they wouldn't be able to fix EVERYTHING that way.

Thankfully broken champions on Dominion also tend to be broken champions on Rift with only a few notable exceptions (Poppy comes to mind). Which means people like Urgot and Jax will get their due.

Ardnalis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabonidus View Post
Dominion has a lot of good going for it. Fast-paced gameplay, lack of farming-centric phases, etc.

The problem is it's also an absolute mess balance wise. Riot's admitted as much.
Strange thing is, SR isn't balanced either. Riot freely admits this when they see one champion/strategy do well at a big tournament and then turn around and nerf it when they see it doing too well. Perfect balance with this many different characters is impossible.

HaIfhearted

06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommodoreSkippy View Post
Snip
I'm not gonna argue that squishies need protection or that they won't be high-priority targets for the enemy team, cause they will.

What I was saying is that a team with 4 melee bruisers or 3 melee bruisers and a tank is probably going to lose to a team with a tank, a strong bruiser, an AP carry, and an AD carry.

I've been on both sides of this matchup. The all melee team loses almost every time.

Basically, if the ranged guys are smart and use their range to their advantage, and their team is even half competent at peeling, then the carries are gonna turn every fight into a roflstomp.

My ideal teamcomp has a tank and a bruiser, and then you throw in either a tanky AP (Ryze/Swain) and an AD carry, or a high magic DPS (Cass/Ryze) and Urgot.
Oh, and a bot lane, but that's a different discussion.

Redeemed In Fire

06-11-2012

+1 and bump, every view is a potential new dominion player!

chumbler

06-11-2012

4 pages and this thread hasn't been moved to the dominion forum/ghetto yet? Color me surprised. I guess the forum mods must be asleep.

Bumping this thread in an attempt to remind Riot that they did in fact make dominion, despite their total neglect of the game mode since about a week after its release.

Kiddalee

06-12-2012

Moving every single thread out of GD simply for mentioning Dominion undermines Riot's investment in creating the mode. The forum mods are working against their employer.

coffee addict

06-12-2012

i like dominion except for when ppl afk for the first 3 minutes and cost you the game

12345678 ... 10