Bloodthirster

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mac11b

06-11-2012

THE ISSUE WITH THE CURRENT BLOODTHIRSTER

The problem for me with the current Bloodthirster is that it is too powerful early-mid game, while at late game falls behind. At the same time if the other team pulls ahead late game and you die, you will most likely be unable to re-farm it up to its full potential, setting you even further behind for buying the item.

Here's what I'm getting at with the Bloodthirster - in lane phase it is ridiculously good and borderline overpowered item because it offers great sustain, damage, and overall better 1v1 capabilities. However in teamfights it may fall behind because the sustain isn't as noticeable when your champion is being bursted down by more than one opponent. I think the biggest issue though, is the fact that the Bloodthirster promotes aggressive play because of the safe sustain it offers, but at the same time hinders the same aggressive play because of the risk of losing the stacks and being unable to get them back. While I understand the decision making Riot is trying to produce - I think there is a better solution which I will get to later.

For examples of my point, I will use top lane and bottom lane - the most common areas for the Bloodthirster to be used. In top lane, generally the lane is very "snowballing" - where champions want to use their gold to buy small upgrades to keep as much of an advantage over their opponent as possible. The problem with the Bloodthirster arises here simply because the item is too inexpensive. It is very possible for the item to be bought very early while not needed small items on champions such as Riven, Lee Sin, or Fiora whose kits naturally can sustain them until they're capable of making the purchase. Once making the purchase however, their lane becomes too strong. At end game however, all three of these champions become very aggressive play-makers - excelling at diving into the enemy team and dealing massive amounts of damage. This play-style is punished too hard in my opinion by the fact that their Bloodthirsters will be weakened severely if they die.

In bottom lane, generally champions will start with a few small purchases such as Doran's Blades to be safe to farm and lane and keep from being zoned. However, after these purchases champions will rush towards their powerful tier 3 items that define their champions as AD carries and damage dealers. The problem with the Bloodthirster is again that is way too cheap for what it provides at full stacks. The item is a full 830g cheaper than an Infinity Edge, which is already less potent in lane than the Bloodthirster. And again the problem arises that the Bloodthirster is less potent in teamfights not only because the item doesn't provide maximum potential damage, but also because there is much more consequence if you die.

TL;DR Riot off-set complete lane domination by making the item require stacks for full potential, which is good, however I believe it is the wrong solution - because late game it makes aggressive, play-making, and exciting game play less viable because of the risk involved.

MY SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE THE ITEM BETTER

I suggest that the Bloodthirster stacks be removed. In turn, require the Bloodthirster to have an additional tier 1 item for creation and become more expensive, yet still have the same final stats. IE - Bloodthirster costs 3600g requires - B.F. Sword, Pickaxe, and Vampiric Sceptor.

WHAT THESE CHANGES WILL DO

I believe these changes will make the Bloodthirster an appealing item to the champions it belongs on - play-making, aggressive, and potentially all-in style champions like Vayne, Graves, Riven, or Fiora that need sustain and high damage.

By making the Bloodthirster require more items to build, this will make the laning phase less volatile simply because players won't be able to get the item as fast, and they must also simply decide if it is worth building - forgo small "snowballing" upgrades for a powerful lane item? -forgo higher teamfight damage for higher sustain and lane control?

I think these changes will still make the Bloodthirster a viable item and still require thought into whether or not it's worth buying, and most importantly - make the Bloodthirster more viable late game.

Now I'm not saying I'm a developer or math-crafter, so I don't know the exact numbers or tweaks for the item - but I do think the point should still stand - make the Bloodthirster constantly have max stacks, but make it more expensive to create.

Thanks for your time reading. Please offer your feedback on my idea!

Ohasis

06-11-2012

So what evidence do you have to support these claims? Did you just decide that X item
was OP/UP?

Riot has their own development team with far more recorded information and understanding of the game, let them decide whats OP, whats UP.

Technician Tim

06-11-2012

if you post this in the item forum people will do the math and tell you more relevant info than i like/dislike this idea

Amaltron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2012

It's ok. I find it more situational than anything. I like infinity edge a lot better because of that crit damage. BT already got nerfed, I don't think it needs any more nerfs lol.

FlyersBIATCH

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2012

Riven says no

stokerjoker

06-12-2012

bump

DrWhippy

06-12-2012

It's 3k gold for an item that can do potentially 100 damage after an extended period of time. That requires a ton of farming and if you don't die, but instead kill the enemy repeatedly in lane then you deserve to be ridiculously ahead.

It does not fall off late game wtf are you talking about?

stokerjoker

06-17-2012

bump

PACDXX

Recruiter

06-17-2012

It only falls off if you die