Draven - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

First Riot Post
123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

darkr3x

06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisaric View Post
I'm pretty sure it' because he does everything for show. Axes with cloth would look bad to him, and a knife-like weapon is too plain for his tastes.

That being said, is there any specific reason he feels like he has to show off? Is there a backstory where his brother gained a higher rank in the Noxian Army earlier than he did, or is it just a matter of his character?
Trowing axes bola style would take a fair amount of skill and there are plenty of ways to make interesting blades. I mean what he's using now already look more like swords than Axes

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2012

Nice to see you, Skribbles.

So, is that actually true that Darius pretty much "carried" his younger brother through their early years to survive, and Draven only got to be an executioner due to his brother's contacts (read: axe)? A hint at this is written in Darius' lore, but I want to doublecheck. If that's true, on a scale of 0-jelly, how jelly is Draven of his older brother?

K D Bonez

06-11-2012

Hello Skribbles, or should I go by your JoJ Name, L.B. Briskes? Anywho, question time!

1. Was Draven originally going to be Darius' brother, or was he going to be a stand alone character?

2. In the creation process, was Draven ever part of a circus of some kind?

3. At any point in his life was Draven in the Noxus Military?

4. How would Draven interact with himself if he was on both teams (we already know from Lore that both Dravens are the same person)? Would he try to one-up himself?

Werewolf Link

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-11-2012

Does Draven have any dreams of becoming a high ranking position of Noxus, or does he simply prefer being well know for killing without the responsibility a leadership position would require?

Also, Draven's thoughts of Swain?

Gentleman Oz

06-11-2012

Probably someone else asked this buuuut...

Since Draven and Darius are brothers, and TOTALLY different in their own styles, how does one feel about the other regarding their work?

Does Darius think Draven brings shame to himself and their family by being such a show off? Does Draven think Darius is too dumb to notice his skills in the army will never bring the same glory as in the arena?

And the greatest question of all: does Draven felt jelousy of his brother, the uptight Noxian commander, being appointed as the new champion of the League of Legends that he HAD to find a way to join in as well, otherwise he would be upstaged by his own flesh and blood (that never approved of his own views of battle showmanship)?

Skribbles

Associate Writer

06-11-2012
2 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borkcire View Post
Did Draven ever misjudge the landing spot of an axe and harmed himself trying to catch it?

Even better, did the axe hit him in the head with the handle and make him look like a twit?
Draven's still human, he probably got quite a few cuts, bumps, and bruises perfecting his throws. That said...he'd never admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balder1718 View Post
Thanks a million for your willingness to do this. It's greatly appreciated.

Someone else in this forum has wondered whether or not Graves is the long-lost brother of Darius and Draven ... care to weigh in on that?
No problem! It's an interesting theory that Graves may be a long-lost brother, but we never intended that. My gut reaction is that Darius and Draven are both meant to be representative of Noxus, and I think it might pull away from that a bit if we added Graves into the mix. Darius and Draven also both have causes (yes, I think personal celebrity can be a cause), whereas Graves doesn't seem too interested in what the rest of the world thinks about anything. Really neat though, I will think about this more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClausChap View Post
Has Draven ever had a love interest but then end up having to kill said person?
Draven only has one love interest, and that's Draven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkr3x View Post
How did Draven come up with the design for the axes he uses?
Why not more typical axes with loops of cloth to get the inertia or more knife-like weapons?

Also, something of a design question--yes, I know wrong place--Was Draven in the pipeline when the Crit Mastery was changed to what it is now or was Draven's crit based passive a reason for the mastery's creation?
Draven wants everything about Draven to be signature, so he would move in nontraditional directions for all of his equipment. I get the feeling that the massive blade is also heavy, damaging, and imposing. As to why he didn't choose knives, that might have been Darius's influence.

I think the mastery change was unrelated honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenetics View Post
Does Draven have an outfit or two that he wears a lot for executions or does he prefer to have different outfits to keep things visually interesting?
Draven's wardrobe probably has its own house. While he does have some signature outfits he will come back to, I imagine he is prepared, costume-wise, for any event you could throw at him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
Were there any notable incidents in the military that helped direct Draven towards his current role?
Great question. Though I know I'm not getting into specifics, I think the heart of the incidents you're asking about would lie in the interactions between Darius and Draven as they trained and fought (either against or with each other). Draven looked up to his older brother for guidance, and when he was young I think he really wanted to impress him. The step of leaving the military so he could live outside his brother's shadow was a major turning point in his life, and would have had to be based on extreme experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
Now, the lore says that prisoners have never succeeded in escaping him...

Are we sure he doesn't have a well-kept secret story about the one who got away?

And how is his current relation with his brother? What does Draven think of Swain?
As of Draven becoming an executioner, no snetenced prisoners got away. As for more figurative interpretations of that question...jury's out.

Draven and Darius are competitive brothers. I think they both generally disapprove of the way that the other lives his life, but they would still go get drinks together and laugh about old times.

I don't think Draven is too interested in politics and he probably has additional distaste for Swain since his brother is so supportive of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisaric View Post
Is there any specific reason he feels like he has to show off? Is there a backstory where his brother gained a higher rank in the Noxian Army earlier than he did, or is it just a matter of his character?
Noxus is a place where strength equals power. I think Darius would have drilled this into Draven's head, and I think Draven got his desire to show off from it. I also think that watching his brother gain higher ranks in the military compelled him to be flashy about his successes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkRavenMad View Post
How did he come to join the League? Was it at Darius's or Swain's request?
Neither. Draven is here for Draven. He realized that the center of the world's attention was the League of Legends and that's the only place for him.

ThorRush

06-11-2012

Thanks for doing this Skribbles - it really helps flesh out the new characters.

Draven's not the only one who has put on a show for Noxus - I remember Alistar and Viscero were part of the Fleshing. Did he ever perform in the same arena as they did, or were they before his time? Does Draven have any intention to face those champions and prove his greatness?

Skribbles

Associate Writer

06-11-2012
3 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eredale View Post
Nice to see you, Skribbles.

So, is that actually true that Darius pretty much "carried" his younger brother through their early years to survive, and Draven only got to be an executioner due to his brother's contacts (read: axe)? A hint at this is written in Darius' lore, but I want to doublecheck. If that's true, on a scale of 0-jelly, how jelly is Draven of his older brother?
Nice to see you too!

As older brothers often must when the parents are gone, Darius did need to be something of a father to Draven. That relationship is part of what drives their personalities in opposite directions. I wouldn't say Draven was helpless then, but Darius made sure he was always fed and protected. I don't think Darius had anything to do with Draven becoming an executioner, he probably saw it as a massive step down from the military.

Draven used to be quite jelly of his brother, I would say 23656457 or the full jelly. Now, I think Draven found his place in the world and is comfortable. He doesn't like the military and probably believes Darius' talents are wasted there. So now, I'd say 1 (gogo extremes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by K D Bonez View Post
Hello Skribbles, or should I go by your JoJ Name, L.B. Briskes? Anywho, question time!

1. Was Draven originally going to be Darius' brother, or was he going to be a stand alone character?

2. In the creation process, was Draven ever part of a circus of some kind?

3. At any point in his life was Draven in the Noxus Military?
I'm Skribbles, that L.B. guy got fired. Quite an attitude on that one.

1) Originally, we concepted the two separately, but we discovered early on how well they would work as brothers. The more we thought about it, the more we liked it, and we evolved their stories and personalities with that as a guiding factor.

2) Draven was never part of a circus...I feel like there's a punchline here somewhere...

3) Yes, Draven was a member of the military for a little while before he decided it wouldn't give him the spotlight he wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Link View Post
Does Draven have any dreams of becoming a high ranking position of Noxus, or does he simply prefer being well know for killing without the responsibility a leadership position would require?

Also, Draven's thoughts of Swain?
Draven's all about himself now. Once upon a time, he thought he wanted a high rank in Noxus, now I think he'd only take a position at the top if it afforded him more press and had almost no work responsibilities.

Re-copying thoughts on Swain from earlier:
I don't think Draven is too interested in politics and he probably has additional distaste for Swain since his brother is so supportive of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentlemane View Post
Probably someone else asked this buuuut...

Since Draven and Darius are brothers, and TOTALLY different in their own styles, how does one feel about the other regarding their work?

Does Darius think Draven brings shame to himself and their family by being such a show off? Does Draven think Darius is too dumb to notice his skills in the army will never bring the same glory as in the arena?

And the greatest question of all: does Draven felt jelousy of his brother, the uptight Noxian commander, being appointed as the new champion of the League of Legends that he HAD to find a way to join in as well, otherwise he would be upstaged by his own flesh and blood (that never approved of his own views of battle showmanship)?
There are more details in some of the other questions I've answered, but Darius and Draven are still family, and they still have each other's back even if they don't like the paths they've chosen.

I definitely think Darius believes Draven makes a mockery of their name, but I think he's secretly proud that Draven is so successful at what he does. I also definitely think you're on the money about how Draven feels about his brother, although I think he understands that what Draven does for Noxus is extremely significant, even though there's little glory in it.

In terms of joining the League, there might be a little bit of jealousy that drove that. Overall though, I don't think Draven is currently that jealous of his brother. The two of them have really found their places in the world.[/QUOTE]

Busty Nuts

06-11-2012

In all of his years as an executioner, making the affair into sport, has anyone ever escaped from him? Just one person?

Skribbles

Associate Writer

06-11-2012
4 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRush View Post
Thanks for doing this Skribbles - it really helps flesh out the new characters.

Draven's not the only one who has put on a show for Noxus - I remember Alistar and Viscero were part of the Fleshing. Did he ever perform in the same arena as they did, or were they before his time? Does Draven have any intention to face those champions and prove his greatness?
Thanks for your interest!

Draven is actually something of an interesting case in this regard. He managed to make an event out of something that was intended to simply be a public execution. This is different that the Fleshing, because it really demonstrates Draven's ambition and drive. The Fleshing was an arena designed in such a way so that ultimately every combatant would die, so I think it was primarily captured enemies who populated it.

Draven would happily face anyone, but I don't think he would put much stock in any one person more than any other except for his brother Darius.

123456 ... 9