Low Elo Success

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Heca NA

06-11-2012

Greetings all sabrisx here yet again with another rant!

This is more of a rant/ Shove in the right direction then it is an Actual Guide, But this is more or less it's deserving place within the forums.

The point of this post is to shed some light on 99.9% of problems encountered in low elo games Aka "Elo Hell".

[Picks/Counters/ Team Comp/Playstyles]
Picks - There is MANY comments and arguments that can be pointed out about Team Champion Picks. But ill start off with the most common problem I've come across. The bottom pick, Great position for a great Strategic Pick(Reason behind this, A hard counter as last pick). Is often Forced into Going support which is often game breaking Due to the fact, Forcing anyone to take a single role loses Psychologically. If someone is forced into playing a role they dont want to or outright are no good at, It's greatly hindering the lane, for what? Players wanting kills? You wont gain any of those wanted kills without a stable team comp. Don't let pride get ahead of you. If you know you can play a Less picked role, be willing to do it... Don't Force anyone else into doing it.

Playstyles- Throughout you're time in LoL I'm sure you've come across many types of players, Some, Who can play MANY champions well, and do all the roles or most of them [A jack of trades]. or those who can only play a select role well enough, But they excel in that Exact role [1 trick pony]. Now I know that.. at times, These 1 trick pony's can become a pain in the arse at times... Believe me I know! Sometimes it's just best to suck it up, Put the ego aside and let them go their role/Champion. After all we don't want them feeding right? Sometimes Pride isnt worth the loss in rank.

Counters- A more or less harder thing to work on, Counters. Each champion in the game has a champ they can Dominate and a champion that Dominates them. Picking to counter is the Best thing you can Do.(Though in low Elo it's more or less Skill over Team Comp, It helps)

Team Comp - Just about everyone knows about this... Most people work within a good one... But... there is that handful out there.. That love to leave the team with a messed up Team comp, of say 4ad and 1 ap. Which is to easy to counter with something like armour.
Your normal Team comp should consist of something around the lines of 2ad, 2ap and 1 Tank. or 1/2 ad, 1/2 AP, 1 support, 1 Tank. The reason Team Comps are so important is like stated, If you have a team full of ad champions, You can simply stack armour and thornmails to win. You need to mix it up so they must balance.

In game Problems
[Wards/Ganks/Baits & More]

Wards- Wards... They Actually DO win games.. they are a MUST... But... By far to many people believe that only the support should be buying the wards and support alone.
this is actually incorrect, In bot lane it is the supports job to ward, But mid, Jungle and solo top Should actually be buying atleast 1 ward each time they go back. Jungler more then Laners.
To many games i see a jungler Rely souly on Wriggles Ward alone. leaving so many blind spots open and leaving himself or lanes to be invaded by not filling the gaps. Wards should go as following
Top- Laner Wards his lake side bush/ Enemy Jungle Exit(This way you can spot them Leaving the jungle and can prepare even sooner for the gank Inbound gank)
Mid- Ward Both lake side bushes.(or if you are confident with your map awareness, Throw them at the enemy's Jungle exits leading to your main bushes.)
Bot- Support Buys wards and wards as his prefers, Lake side bush& Lane bushes or just the lake side.
Jungler- Wards Blind spots in the lake, and paths leading to Either Your jungle if you are being invaded, Or Enemy's jungle if you are doing the invading

Ganking- Ganks are another big thing that wins games, Not only Doing ganks, But How you react to them. Now The main job of the jungler is To gank. But they are not the only role Who should be ganking. Many Mid champions are great mobile gankers that when given the opportunity can gank either lane when needed. So don't just rely on the jungler to gank, Use some inititive and consider roaming when you have a pushed lane. But never leave your lane when getting pushed unless you must.

Bait- Baits are massive game changers. To many times have i seen teams lose due to a single bad call of running into an OBVIOUS bait or worse Ruining a set up bait. Boys and girls DON'T Be silly... If you see a full health enemy running off and not trying to avoid you but keep you in sight... Do not follow, It's often a bait. Don't ever chase unless you can guarentee the kill and none of the enemy is mia on the map..

Last hitting- Last hitting Is Holding off Attacking creeps(No auto attacking) Untill they are at such low HP that they will die in 1-hit(hence.. last hitting) Granting you the gold for the kill. Last hitting can be a pain in many ways, Knowing How to do it without being harassed, Then knowing how to do it Whilst not being harassed AND being able to harass back. Last hitting for everyone is different, There are no tips that can be given out for this one other then, Have a general idea on how much of a creeps bar you are taking per hit, And do your best to time it right.

I will add ALOT more as i can, Due to me being short on time. Im also ALWAYS open to suggestions and new additions to the threat so feel free =]

midillusion

06-11-2012

On the topic of counter-picking, it only works properly if you are able to swap champions with another player. At high ELO this works well because most players at that level have most, if not all, champions unlocked. Low ELO players don't have this luxury, which limits the amount of counter-picking that can be done. There have been many times when games have been lost in champ select purely because of a miss-communication which resulted in a player taking a champion that they couldn't play or had the wrong runes/masteries for.

At low ELO, counter-picking is nice but don't try and do fancy stuff like swapping champions unless you are sure they have the champion you need.

KaiSong

06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by midillusion View Post
On the topic of counter-picking, it only works properly if you are able to swap champions with another player. At high ELO this works well because most players at that level have most, if not all, champions unlocked. Low ELO players don't have this luxury, which limits the amount of counter-picking that can be done. There have been many times when games have been lost in champ select purely because of a miss-communication which resulted in a player taking a champion that they couldn't play or had the wrong runes/masteries for.

At low ELO, counter-picking is nice but don't try and do fancy stuff like swapping champions unless you are sure they have the champion you need.
Ive gotten this me: "sweet we got first pick and they forgot to ban shen, quick get shen and then I'll trade you." Our first pick: *locks soraka* "dont have shen." That game ended with the enemy who apparently mains shen, countering every gank I did, including killing our fail AD who apparently was attracted to shiny purple bubbles appearing on the enemy.

midillusion

06-11-2012

Haha, yeah we've all been there KaiSong. Actually, Shen isn't that hard to counter in that aspect, just pick jungle Nocturn. Nocturn's ulti cancels out Shen's, even after he's started channeling it. That was such a ball-ache for me when I played Shen. Everytime I ultied to save someone, Nocturn would ulti purely to cancel out my ulti and I'd look the complete fool. You can imagine the conversations I had in teamchat.

me: I have ulti, bait them in and I'll tele to you
nocturn: DAAAAARRRRRKNEESSSSSSS
teammate 1:OMG noob Shen, why you no ulti me????

I'm not sure if you can do the same with TF's and Pantheon's ulties, will have to test it out.

xCry0x

06-11-2012

How is the person who -still- has a low elo qualified to write anything about achieving success?

arcticnerd

06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by midillusion View Post
Haha, yeah we've all been there KaiSong. Actually, Shen isn't that hard to counter in that aspect, just pick jungle Nocturn. Nocturn's ulti cancels out Shen's, even after he's started channeling it. That was such a ball-ache for me when I played Shen. Everytime I ultied to save someone, Nocturn would ulti purely to cancel out my ulti and I'd look the complete fool. You can imagine the conversations I had in teamchat.

me: I have ulti, bait them in and I'll tele to you
nocturn: DAAAAARRRRRKNEESSSSSSS
teammate 1:OMG noob Shen, why you no ulti me????

I'm not sure if you can do the same with TF's and Pantheon's ulties, will have to test it out.
Wait… you can’t Shen ult while Noc is limiting your vision? Is that because you can’t click on the champion or are the portraits on the side blocked out as well?
And I do know that TF and Panth can still ult wherever they please.

Best Heca NA

07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x View Post
How is the person who -still- has a low elo qualified to write anything about achieving success?
Low Elo or not, I know what it takes to crawl out of the low Elo. I've personally Crawled out from 800 elo to my current rank. Which is still rising Due to having a new outlook on the game, The outlook I provide in said Guide, The outlook I hope to Bestow Apon Others.
I also have 100 ranked games under my belt compared to your 11(That being, If your forums name matches your summoner name). Now as someone who has been with the worst of the low elo, And some of the better players, I feel I have sufficient Experience to shed some information To others looking to get out of where I have been.

Best Heca NA

08-22-2012

bump

Lord Puppy Fury

08-22-2012

To everyone at my elo: SEE HE SAYS TO WARD TOO! I'M NOT JUST THE WARD NAZI!

I've played with higher elo players. They all freaking ward. The wards win the game. If you're not warding, your gameplay is bad and you should feel bad. And no one person should have to foot the entire bill for wards. When I'm the ADC, I'll even try to grab a ward or two just to help contribute. Where it's a problem, is when I'm the ADC and I'm the ONLY one warding. I'm not much help to the team then because I'm under built after dishing out 2K+ for wards over 20-25 minutes.

Jesot

08-22-2012

There is nothing more frustrating than being an adc and having to buy all the wards.