Can somebody break down Mummy itemization for me?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2009

I'm throwing in the towel. I finally decided that I need to learn Amumu because he's so damn useful for pubbing.

I had a first game where I went Chalice -> Boots -> Sunfire -> Rod of Ages and never really got around to upgrading my boots. I mean I did well and all, but I really want to know what the pro Amumu's get? All I know is a Sunfire Cape at some point because I see so many of them with it, but I never really paid close attention to the items.

Help me out?

Merovinge

10-30-2009

I like Chalice/Mercury/Sunfirex3/GA or Chalice/Tabi/RoAx2/Sunfire/GA (in both builds for really long games, get an extra rod or cape and sell the chalice to make the GA). Certainly if you want to steal less farm from creepwaves but the game will last a reasonable amount of time, the Rods are the way to go.

AP scales a bit better against high HP, due to it increasing the percent on despair, and Rods give more HP when charged than Capes, but you lose out on the armor. I think the balancing act with amumu is doing enough AoE damage around you that they want to focus you, even after you use your Ult; if you pull that off, you are the perfect initiator/tank.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

10-30-2009

I start out with a Doran's shield and hp pot and go jungling. YMMV.

You WILL need:
Hp regen: I use a regrowth pendant.
Boots: Start with basic ones.
Mana regen: start with a meki pendant.

Thats your basic items. Dorans regrowth boots meki. Let's start upgrading.

First, look at the opposing team. -What are their damage sources and how many non-knockup, non-silence disables are they packing?-

80%+ of games I go mercury treads, 20% ninja tabi. Only two boots worth it on amumu. If the enemy is almost exclusively physical DPS and/or is very disable light, go ninja. Otherwise, mercury.

Now you need to grab your chalice. Next up is aegis of the legion (perhaps you started building this earlier dependent on the game). You're starting to become a respectable tank. Note: if you are doing very poorly and are very underfarmed, just start stacking hearts of gold, perhaps even eschewing earlier items. Hearts of gold are your fallback item if you're just getting raped. Hopefully you can last til lategame with a full set of hearts of gold and start turning them into real items.

Now, assuming you're doing well, it's time to get serious. You should have a doran's, regrowth, mercury, chalice, and aegis. Here are possible items:

Guardians angel: I get this in 70% of games next. Armor and MR are far more useful than HP, plus its passive is awesome. Against a balanced team, grab this.

Let's say the opponents are flabbergastingly dumb and are almost exclusively spell damage. You have a choice between banshee's veil and force of nature. Banshees veil: hp and spellblock. FoN: slightly cheaper, slightly more MR, and hp regen.

More often you will want to get a physical item after your GA. good choices: sunfire cape (by this point the passive isnt that great, but take what u can get). Wardens mail.

About the only item I don't really ever get is warmogs on amumu. Others may swear by it, I prefer having 2500~ hp and RIDICULOUS armor and MR (about 300 of each).

This is pure tank amumu. The reason amumu is so awesome is he is dangerous with just a tank build. His q w and r just demolish enemy teams whether they focus him or not. Even without AP I find enemies have to target me or they just end up getting wrecked. On the occasions that I am -too- tanky (they literally just can't touch me and give up and go for my teammates), I do grab a rod of ages/sunfire early. This is rare.

Jpeg

10-30-2009

skystrkier is right. just build tanky items, your damage will come from dispair and sunfire capes.

one thing he didn't mention is your likely the team's scepter carrier. it will increase your AOE damage a ton, espically if you spec into offence/archic knowledge.

but you have the build basically right so far.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2009

I had a game just now where I went 20/8/20.

I went Rod of Ages -> Boots -> Chalice -> Sunfire -> Boots of swiftness -> Another Sunfire -> and then abyssal.

Well we had a leaver on our team and we held back 4v5 and defended for like 30 minutes, even got two of their inhibs down in the process, baroning once, and having a great deal of small and large skirmishes.

Well, my item bar was full, so what I did was sold my Chalice and replaced it with a Lich Bane, and used that for scratch off a couple last kills.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

10-30-2009

What do you mean by scepter carrier :3?

Absol

10-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skystriker View Post
I start out with a Doran's shield and hp pot and go jungling. YMMV.

You WILL need:
Hp regen: I use a regrowth pendant.
Boots: Start with basic ones.
Mana regen: start with a meki pendant.

Thats your basic items. Dorans regrowth boots meki. Let's start upgrading.

First, look at the opposing team. -What are their damage sources and how many non-knockup, non-silence disables are they packing?-

80%+ of games I go mercury treads, 20% ninja tabi. Only two boots worth it on amumu. If the enemy is almost exclusively physical DPS and/or is very disable light, go ninja. Otherwise, mercury.

Now you need to grab your chalice. Next up is aegis of the legion (perhaps you started building this earlier dependent on the game). You're starting to become a respectable tank. Note: if you are doing very poorly and are very underfarmed, just start stacking hearts of gold, perhaps even eschewing earlier items. Hearts of gold are your fallback item if you're just getting raped. Hopefully you can last til lategame with a full set of hearts of gold and start turning them into real items.

Now, assuming you're doing well, it's time to get serious. You should have a doran's, regrowth, mercury, chalice, and aegis. Here are possible items:

Guardians angel: I get this in 70% of games next. Armor and MR are far more useful than HP, plus its passive is awesome. Against a balanced team, grab this.

Let's say the opponents are flabbergastingly dumb and are almost exclusively spell damage. You have a choice between banshee's veil and force of nature. Banshees veil: hp and spellblock. FoN: slightly cheaper, slightly more MR, and hp regen.

More often you will want to get a physical item after your GA. good choices: sunfire cape (by this point the passive isnt that great, but take what u can get). Wardens mail.

About the only item I don't really ever get is warmogs on amumu. Others may swear by it, I prefer having 2500~ hp and RIDICULOUS armor and MR (about 300 of each).

This is pure tank amumu. The reason amumu is so awesome is he is dangerous with just a tank build. His q w and r just demolish enemy teams whether they focus him or not. Even without AP I find enemies have to target me or they just end up getting wrecked. On the occasions that I am -too- tanky (they literally just can't touch me and give up and go for my teammates), I do grab a rod of ages/sunfire early. This is rare.
Posted by one awesome mummy player.

GNOY

10-31-2009

How about AP build with just one pure-tank item, is it equally viable? I want to see suggestion on this either. To start with, Abyssal Scepter - MR + AP + -AP aura (and you are in middle of enemys, disabling them and doing magic damage, while your team benefits from -20 MR aura), if noone else get it, why not Amumu? Its perfect weilder imo.

MajorChipHazzard

10-31-2009

One sunfire is amazing on Amumu, 2 can be good in certain situations, but stacking any more is dumb as hell. Sunfire cape is without a doubt a pushing item, and more sunfires won't increase how fast you kill creeps thanks to Tantrum and Despair. After getting like one you're better off getting a little bit of AP (he doesn't need much, but AP helps) or raw tanking items.

Absol's suggestions are pretty close to what I would recommend - close enough that I'm going to give his build a shot. I find that laning Amumu should build philo stone early, while jungle Amumu is better suited with doran's + regrowth. Amumu is viable for either role, so it's your decision.