Any way to reorder abilities?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cherribear

06-10-2012

I know I can change keybinds, but the problem there is that I end up confusing myself which ability is mapped to which key as I change between characters.

I generally want my most commonly used ability under my index finger, but LoL seems to put more of them on the far left pinky button. If I change the keymap, I have some problems remembering which ability is where.

Is there any way to hack/mod or just plain reorder abilities? Then I can put my most common abilities under E and R and less common under Q and W and have consistent keymaps.

Any advice appreciated, I can't be the only one that finds mashing things with my pinky to be uncomfortable and awkward.

Wessun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2012

In normal client it can't be done, it might be possible in modified ACE Client, but I don't know much about it, google it and check.

TwistWrist

06-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherribear View Post
Any advice appreciated, I can't be the only one that finds mashing things with my pinky to be uncomfortable and awkward.
That's your problem. You shouldn't use your pinky for abilities. Not a great finger for repeat action. I usually keep my pinky on shift for my occasional shift+QWER (normal cast for me) or ctrl+QWER for leveling a skill.

I usually press QWER with ring finger for Q, middle finger for W, and index finger for E and R. But I would definitely not use my pinky for spamming a key.

TheDjinni

06-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherribear View Post
I know I can change keybinds, but the problem there is that I end up confusing myself which ability is mapped to which key as I change between characters.

I generally want my most commonly used ability under my index finger, but LoL seems to put more of them on the far left pinky button. If I change the keymap, I have some problems remembering which ability is where.

Is there any way to hack/mod or just plain reorder abilities? Then I can put my most common abilities under E and R and less common under Q and W and have consistent keymaps.

What's wrong with placing your pinky, ring, middle and index on the q, w, e and r keys, respectively?Just play a champ for a few games and you should have no problem adjusting to what ability is located where. Can't say I've ever had a problem with my pinky on q, but maybe I play more PC games than you or something.

Cherribear

06-10-2012

For example in the tutorial with Garen, the Q key is Decisive Strike a 12s cooldown I use pretty much every time it's up. That's my pinky/ring finger.

Meanwhile, my index finger is on Demacian Justice, which is a 140s cooldown and only can be used on a Champion, so it's used maybe 2-3 times total to try and finish someone off running away. But that's my primary button pressing key?

It does not make sense. For all characters I have tried, there are keys I want to spam, and keys I never press either as looooong cooldowns or emergencies only, yet the default keymaps are usually wrong for those priorities.

As I said, I know I can remap them, but then even though I have everything correct, the abilities stay on the bar in the wrong order and, for a beginner, it's very frustrating.

Cherribear

06-10-2012

To put it another way

In Diablo 3 you assign keymaps to a button slot, then you assign abilities to those slots.

That's what I want, so that when I switch characters, my index and middle finger are in the right place for my primary abilities.

TwistWrist

06-10-2012

This isn't Diablo 3.

Don't keep your index finger on your R then. Put it on E. I mean, fingers do move.

You know you are going to also be needing those fingers to push the item hotkeys as well right?

Laurentide

06-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
This isn't Diablo 3.

Don't keep your index finger on your R then. Put it on E. I mean, fingers do move.

You know you are going to also be needing those fingers to push the item hotkeys as well right?
This does not solve the problem that for many champions, the most used ability is assigned to the least dexterous finger.

The default controls are just garbage all around, in my opinion. I had to change nearly my entire layout before it made any kind of sense, and I still run into the problem that my two weakest fingers are often assigned to the most frequently used functions. Putting ults on R and low-cooldown skills on Q is simply bad UI design.

TwistWrist

06-10-2012

You can't spam Q with your ring finger?

Then you have a massive problem with gaming in general.

Do you never use your ring finger to swap to knife in Counter Strike? You never strafe to the left in FPS's?

Do you use all your hotkeys with just your middle and index finger in RTS's?

Many games are designed so that your pinky finger is designated to use non-spammed keys like tab, shift, and ctrl. If your ring finger can't keep up with your middle and index finger, then you just need more practice. Your ring finger has no reason to be less dexterous than your middle finger. It isn't like your pinky which is literally a smaller and weaker finger.

Your complaint about R is straight silly. You don't leave your index finger on the R constantly but if you need a finger to quickly move over and hit it, which finger would you want it to be?

Sort of like how R is reload in most FPS but your ring, middle, and index finger will primarily be on WASD.

If anything, R being the ultimate and associated with your index finger makes the most sense. Sure, missing a Q does kind of suck. But how much does it suck to miss your ultimate?

And really, the way that you hold your hand when gaming should be different from when you are typing.

Kreyni

06-10-2012

Usually, most people use 3 fingers, because it's more efficient. Q is easier to spam with your ring finger, and your index can go on E and R, because R is hardly used, even less in conjunction with E.