Warding: Job for a jungle or support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FurLs

06-10-2012

It all depends on the game honestly but everyone should buy wards. If you see a spot you want warded, don't ask your support or ping spam and say "WARD NOOB"... Buy the **** ward and use it. So sick of noobs saying "im not support i no buy ward". Honestly, how is your build any more important than anyone else on your team? And if ANYTHING you should try to avoid making your jungle buy too many wards... Junglers already have terrible farm, so why make them even more poor?

In laning phase:
Top should ward near top bush/tribush or even both and sometimes baron(if extended laning) and red buff/blue buff of either team if you plan on invading or they are constantly invading.

Mid could ward the bush near mid leading to your wolf camp, enemy wraiths, friendly wraiths, or either of the side bushes depending on if other lanes are ganking/invading.

Bot(usually support) should always have at least one ward near tribush/bottom bush to help prevent ganks. A ward at dragon/in the tribush/ in the bottom bushes/ or at the nearby buffs are helpful as well.

Junglers usually should only have to worry about warding wraith camps/Buffs if anything at all.

Axiom Prime

06-10-2012

I see so many terrible explanations...a few of you are spot on...

Sam Is Whoa

06-10-2012

I am shocked at the amount of ppl that say its EVERYONES responsibility. Because it is everyones responsibility.. The reason im shocked is because the amount of times I hear from ppl "need more wards (insert support name here)". I am sick of ppl asking for wards during lane phase in places of the map a support has no buisness being. Like enemy red buff or tri bush top. Its your job to ward your lane and watch the map not anyone elses. If the Carry dies because the enemy jungler wasnt seen in time then thats the supports problem for bad warding other than that there is no excuse that your lane isnt warded. Im sick of hearing from ppl. "I cant afford wards" so go kill 3 minions and back you got your ward there, if you cant last hit 3 minions you shouldnt be playing this game.

Leonixxiii

06-10-2012

Everyone should buy at least 1 ward when they go back if they have an open slot... Supports are the only ones who buy stacks, and keep a slot open just for warding.

Junglers should ward up at least key jungle, and gank spots in the laning, and middle phases.

lockpooh

06-10-2012

I play a lot of support, and truthfully I'll ward as I'm supposed to and how I play but it comes down to how the game progresses.

Example: I keep jungle timers and announce them in chat. I'll keep tabs on the enemy jungler and ward when their blue or red are about to come up. I'll do this about twice and if my team doesn't utilize this info (doesn't reply, doesn't move to steal blue, etc) I'll stop warding and stop announcing in their jungle and do basic wards only.

Honestly, I find keeping jungle timers and aggressive warding is almost always a waste of time in my ello (1200). If we're pushed back far and the game is a landslide loss I'll refuse to venture out to the river solo to lay down a ward. More often then not i'll probably get killed as they take our jungle or get caught out by one of their wards and just give them a kill. This excuse often never flies and they expect full wards up anyway.

Basically, ward to the game. Unless you're playing with a decent team, expect to be solo in lighting up the map.

MoreMedz

06-11-2012

It is a support's responsibility to ward generally, but a support can't ward the whole map all the time, so it is up to everyone on the team to ward where necessary.

Also, everyone should learn when and where to ward, pending on the progress of the game. The value of intel on enemy position and tactics cannot be overestimated.

The other side of the coin is though: do not waste wards. For example, warding your lane to prevent gank is useful; warding other side's blue when your team is being pushed to base and cannot respond is not. If you have to go through unwarded territory just to drop a ward when the enemy team is mia, then you are more or less just taking a gamble.

Aviya

06-11-2012

Mostly support, however, mid and top should be warding their lanes too. Jungle can always help ward. So the answer is everyone.

Sky Sanctum

06-11-2012

In my opinion, it goes like this:
1-4 minutes: No one but supports have wards, pretty standard really. No ones got enough farm to head back and get an item plus a ward.

4-8 minutes: Everyone's probably gone back, sometimes more than once in case of a death. Everyone besides the jungler should probably have bought at least one ward in this time frame. Maybe sooner if you get a kill, but regardless, the junglers are looking for that unwarded lane for an easy initiation. If you've died to a gank, you especially need a ward. If your easy enough to remember they will camp you at their convenience.

8-13 minutes: Jungler most likely has wriggles, so they now have a ward every 3 minutes, and everyone should have probably bought another ward to ward an area that has heavy traffic. Support should be well on the way to having stacks of wards or oracles by this point.

16-end of game: Initiators with enough of their build and an open slot, supports and the jungler(with wriggles or open slot) now have the responsibility to ward the rest of the match. The ap and ad carry should be focusing on finishing their build in a quick a time as possible.

After 16 minutes you enter team fight mode anyways, and should have river warded on both sides pretty constantly. And please, by all means, if the enemy has an oracles, don't harass your team mates to ward anything. Especially if they have you in a defensive posture. It's only going to be a wasted ward and more often then not the death of your support.

1killemall1

06-11-2012

How do people expect support to get items and buy all the wards, a support is there for a whole team, therefore their items benefit everybody, so why would u place this burden on a character that helps the whole team.

Lately i have been playing sona, i buy all 4 gold per 10 items boots and then follow around the strongest player on the team at the time, i keep them heals, moving fast and damage increased..as i already am gaining from the items, once i have boots and start building a real item i have no room for wards.

If the team then joins and run as a group of 5, everybody is benefiting from my auras and boosts, and yes i farm like a mofo with sona early on to get those 4 items, i dont see in all honesty that 1 AD carry can make a huge difference for the entire team with an extra 50 cs, where those 50 cs can improve my build greatly to assist the whole team.

Another pet hate is an AD sitting behind the turret..the turret is killing minions..and they rage at the support for getting some cs..i mean ffs if you cant kill the minions i will be.

/end rant

Xyrrus

06-12-2012

Honestly, I Believe warding is a luxury. If you don't wanna die; support or not, place your own wards. If you did that, you'd never have to worry about Junglers or Supports doing their jobs to ward things. It's completely up to the players