Nasus -- Correctly Played (build and guide)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Epocx

11-01-2009

What about a RoA as first item.

1/ The catalyst allows him to lane pretty long without ever worrying about hp/mp
2/ It gives 725 hp/mp when fully charged and thus help him tanking and spamming abilities a lot.

Then the 80ap isn't really a must but still has some use (aoe and ulti). But point 1 and 2 are really powerful enough to make him grab that item.

Your opinion?

Coleman

11-01-2009

I also main Nassus and I do not believe Rod of Ages and nassus mix. Here are my reasons why:

1) RoA does not help mana regen. You can keep SF up constantly through mana regen items so the extra MP is mostly pointless.
2) The damage SF has on its own is enough to wipe out most of the minnions without additional AP so the extra AP is mostly pointless. 90% of the time you want the skill for the armor reduction anyway which the AP doesn't help capitalize on.
3) There are better items for HP that don't cost so much.
4) This is mostly just me, but I'm sick of the RoA people trying to make it viable for every character. If I liked tanking and RoA I'd play chogath or something.

What I wanted to say is that if you are not very good or if for some reason you are having a hard time farming you can fill up on hearts of gold at around the 20-30 minute mark in a long game to help yourself out and then replace them one by one with the better items suggested by this guide as soon as you can afford them.

The Johninator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2009

RoA is much too expensive for too little benefit for Nasus. Don't bother.

Atmosfear

11-01-2009

Next thing you know we're going to see Warwick builds with RoA who is essentially Nasus' brother.

myrmidon

11-01-2009

I've been playing around with different stuff lately and I have to say Starks Fervor is better then Last Whisper UNLESS you're playing against a Rammus/Cho'Gath or someone who is armor stacking.

Any less then ~150 armor and don't even bother getting last whisper as SF + starks is a huge defense loss for anyone.

Also.

Get Trinity Force.

Just get it.

Maleagant

11-01-2009

I've Played Nasus consistently since he was released, your right he isn't a mage, he isn't an assassin, but he also isn't tank. His base lifesteal with +dmg, +atk speed basically make him very difficult to kill, but he lacks Scion's stun or Amumu's bandage toss, or any of the other things that allow a tank to close first and make sure the target doesn't escape.

Wither is great for what it does, prevents people from flashing away from a gank or allows you to close with someone your chasing. but it can't really compare with a real tanks initiator.

My personal build on Nasus is

Soul Fire, followed by either SS or Wither depending on my opposition, SF again then which ever I didn't pick up at level 2, SF, SF, Ult, leave SF at 4 max SS, max SF then wither obviously picking up ult upgrades at 11 and 16.

Item wise I start with

Meki pendant ===> Philo's stone.
Sheen
Beseker's greaves
Bloodthirster (100dmg and a total of 45% lifesteal...... awesome)
Phantom Dancer
Infinity Edge

If the game lasts long enough the sheen will be upgraded to Trinity Force and the stone will be replaced with Nashor's Tooth. The Tooth's 25% and the golem buff's 15% will put you at the cap for Cooldown reduction.

I've had games running this setup where I've walked into 3 enemies at 70% life popped Ult and walked away at 100% with all 3 dead. They may not have been the best players (hey neither am I) but they would have taken down any of my team mates without losing a person.... 45% lifesteal when your critting for excess of 1100 dmg is kinda hard to deal with.

Edit: Additionally the business of building up your SS..... just plain silliness. A waste of mana and money early game as your without a doubt missing out on killing blows maxing SS before SF, at level 4 SF kills all creeps except for the tower tanks, 90% of those it will get the last hit on you just can't manage that with SS's cooldown, between the 100 to 150% extra damage from sheen/force and stacking dmg items an 1100+ pt SS crit without trying to ensure your last hitting with it the entire game is virtually the same as the 1200/1250 your get trying to max it like that (that extra SS dmg can't crit). I honestly look at SS early game as "Ok I just got a little beat up in that last throw down, time to amp the damage for a couple hits to get the life back up there".

Epocx

11-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
I also main Nassus and I do not believe Rod of Ages and nassus mix. Here are my reasons why:

1) RoA does not help mana regen. You can keep SF up constantly through mana regen items so the extra MP is mostly pointless.
2) The damage SF has on its own is enough to wipe out most of the minnions without additional AP so the extra AP is mostly pointless. 90% of the time you want the skill for the armor reduction anyway which the AP doesn't help capitalize on.
3) There are better items for HP that don't cost so much.
4) This is mostly just me, but I'm sick of the RoA people trying to make it viable for every character. If I liked tanking and RoA I'd play chogath or something.

What I wanted to say is that if you are not very good or if for some reason you are having a hard time farming you can fill up on hearts of gold at around the 20-30 minute mark in a long game to help yourself out and then replace them one by one with the better items suggested by this guide as soon as you can afford them.

I am pretty serious on what I said. You are basically making a RoA trial because you don't like that item.

1) Catalyst does help a lot more than anything else to stay on line. Be it mana or hp. Late game the extra mp won't be pointless. Cause after that I don't go quickly for any mana regen. (Soul shroud comes later)
2) That's why I said the AP isn't what you build that item for. But it helps, and also add 0.8%/s to your ultimate which isn't something that should be underestimated. Imagine this a bonus if you want. This is not the main purpose of getting that item.
3) Hp is only a part of what it brings. MP and Catalyst beeing other ones. And 3k gold / 725 hp is actually one of the best. Warmog beeing the only one better but lacking all the mana part, thus making it not as viable.

And I do not feel concerned by the not very good part. Really.

About the "He is no tank" argument on other posts. Ofc his passive makes him a good fighter. But some blind/exhaust/whatever will screw the killing machine just like any other melee hero. Not saying he is bad at it.

But taking his passive as an argument for him not beeing a tank is imo kinda fail. His ultimate is what makes him a tank. Poping it in team fights makes you a first priority target. With a fighter build, any disable (stun/miss) would bring you to the ground pretty quick.

Just remember undying in dota. He was considered as a tank (imo he was the best one) because of his ultimate which made him a first priority target. This is why I am speaking about a RoA. An item that I only make on an other non intuitive tank -Morgana- because of the lane power it gives you and that those heroes need in order to be effective in their tanking role early game and not only late game.

Because I am not making an ultimate fully itemized build, but something that will give you real efficiency all over the game.

I must add that it is also all about how you play him because of how versatile he is. But don't ignore other possibilities because you may have think that all heroes must be one sided.

Zero Control

11-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epocx View Post
I am pretty serious on what I said. You are basically making a RoA trial because you don't like that item.

1) Catalyst does help a lot more than anything else to stay on line. Be it mana or hp. Late game the extra mp won't be pointless. Cause after that I don't go quickly for any mana regen. (Soul shroud comes later)
2) That's why I said the AP isn't what you build that item for. But it helps, and also add 0.8%/s to your ultimate which isn't something that should be underestimated. Imagine this a bonus if you want. This is not the main purpose of getting that item.
3) Hp is only a part of what it brings. MP and Catalyst beeing other ones. And 3k gold / 725 hp is actually one of the best. Warmog beeing the only one better but lacking all the mana part, thus making it not as viable.

And I do not feel concerned by the not very good part. Really.

About the "He is no tank" argument on other posts. Ofc his passive makes him a good fighter. But some blind/exhaust/whatever will screw the killing machine just like any other melee hero. Not saying he is bad at it.

But taking his passive as an argument for him not beeing a tank is imo kinda fail. His ultimate is what makes him a tank. Poping it in team fights makes you a first priority target. With a fighter build, any disable (stun/miss) would bring you to the ground pretty quick.

Just remember undying in dota. He was considered as a tank (imo he was the best one) because of his ultimate which made him a first priority target. This is why I am speaking about a RoA. An item that I only make on an other non intuitive tank -Morgana- because of the lane power it gives you and that those heroes need in order to be effective in their tanking role early game and not only late game.

Because I am not making an ultimate fully itemized build, but something that will give you real efficiency all over the game.

I must add that it is also all about how you play him because of how versatile he is. But don't ignore other possibilities because you may have think that all heroes must be one sided.
Any AP item is a waste, there are better items you can use. He just doesnt need AP. If you like catalyst so much, great! THen use it to make banshees veil, he loves defense items like this.

But for offense stick with things like, sheen, trinity, starks, whisper, infinity, thirster... attack speed -- damage -- life steal...

Zero Control

11-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleagant View Post
I've Played Nasus consistently since he was released, your right he isn't a mage, he isn't an assassin, but he also isn't tank. His base lifesteal with +dmg, +atk speed basically make him very difficult to kill, but he lacks Scion's stun or Amumu's bandage toss, or any of the other things that allow a tank to close first and make sure the target doesn't escape.

Wither is great for what it does, prevents people from flashing away from a gank or allows you to close with someone your chasing. but it can't really compare with a real tanks initiator.

My personal build on Nasus is

Soul Fire, followed by either SS or Wither depending on my opposition, SF again then which ever I didn't pick up at level 2, SF, SF, Ult, leave SF at 4 max SS, max SF then wither obviously picking up ult upgrades at 11 and 16.

Item wise I start with

Meki pendant ===> Philo's stone.
Sheen
Beseker's greaves
Bloodthirster (100dmg and a total of 45% lifesteal...... awesome)
Phantom Dancer
Infinity Edge

If the game lasts long enough the sheen will be upgraded to Trinity Force and the stone will be replaced with Nashor's Tooth. The Tooth's 25% and the golem buff's 15% will put you at the cap for Cooldown reduction.

I've had games running this setup where I've walked into 3 enemies at 70% life popped Ult and walked away at 100% with all 3 dead. They may not have been the best players (hey neither am I) but they would have taken down any of my team mates without losing a person.... 45% lifesteal when your critting for excess of 1100 dmg is kinda hard to deal with.

Edit: Additionally the business of building up your SS..... just plain silliness. A waste of mana and money early game as your without a doubt missing out on killing blows maxing SS before SF, at level 4 SF kills all creeps except for the tower tanks, 90% of those it will get the last hit on you just can't manage that with SS's cooldown, between the 100 to 150% extra damage from sheen/force and stacking dmg items an 1100+ pt SS crit without trying to ensure your last hitting with it the entire game is virtually the same as the 1200/1250 your get trying to max it like that (that extra SS dmg can't crit). I honestly look at SS early game as "Ok I just got a little beat up in that last throw down, time to amp the damage for a couple hits to get the life back up there".
Nashors is a great item, but I agonize over it on Nasus because he just doesnt need that 55 ap, its such a waste. However i love speed, cooldown, and mana so its not all bad.

I think that my starks is enough speed, and I want defense, so frozen heart and soul shroud is great D, and all your cooldowns.

Pigsticker

11-02-2009

I find that one of the best laning partners for Nasus is Blitz. When Blitz grabs him, lay down your Spit Fire so that he walks all the way through it to get back to safety. Blitz always follows his grab with his knockup punch, so hit ur opponent with Wither on the way down. Then just beat on him as he tries to get away, most likely walking through your Spit Fire.

You can easily get 2-3 early kills with this combo cuz its so easy to repeat and pull off. The only thing that takes any amount of skill is Blitz's grab. Once he gets someone with that, then they're going to be hurting.