Nasus -- Correctly Played (build and guide)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zero Control

10-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboBatman View Post
I've been playing tank Nasus a fair bit recently my ideal item build looks something like Boots, Triforce, Aegis, Starks, Frozen Heart, Soul Shroud. Obviously games usually don't last long enough to complete this entire build but you get the idea. Instead of focusing on putting out a ton of damage in order to get people to focus on me I instead put out a ton of auras so the rest of my team puts out more damage and has greatly increased survivability. I've found that in a team fight Nasus' ult in combination with auras and his AoE should be a good enough reason for the enemy to start focusing on me.

Usually I build Chalice of Harmony first as it allows me to SF every wave of creeps every time but, if the game starts going long I'll replace it with the Soul Shroud. While laning I'll build Sheen and Boots and am usually successful at building Aegis around the time of the first teamfights. The combination of SF and SS makes Nasus one of the best farmers in the game so its very important to pick your laning partner (if you have one) intelligently. Another AoE farmer is a particularly bad choice as you'll both be competing for the same gold. A ganker is a great choice as you'll be able to wither him up some kills pretty regularly. Nasus can solo a lane well, even against many ranged champs but, if your team only has one solo it should go to your carry. For this reason, a jungler is great to have on a team with Nasus as the extra solo lane can be utilized safely and effectively.
I agree with all you said, dual auras is a lot of fun and another reason to think of Nasus as the center of the wheel. I stopped using dual auras for a while with starks but it may be good to go back to it.

I also agree with the lane partner. Very sound advice.

Heck... you could make yourself the ultimate support and go for an inervating locket.... I dont think I would want to spend the money, but then you would really be putting the support out there.

I also rethought some of the conversation with the above two folks... I had it in my head that to go more tankey you could skip the Infinity Edge and instead grab another piece of DEF, either a banshees, or warmogs or aegis.

The Johninator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2009

I agree with most of what you write, it's a good guide. However, unless I am the only physical dps champion on a team, I always get a Starks. It's too good to not take. Starks + Spirit Fire = -65 armor. Plus the extra 45% attack speed and, when added with your passive, 40% lifesteal. It gives you a lot of staying power in lanes and is fairly easy to obtain with a good farm lane. Trinity Force and -cooldown items have a lot of synergy, but are expensive to build up.

A lot of Nasus' strength lies in the ability to build a tank OR an effective physical dps. He can benefit your team by reacting to the situation. No, he's not the best dps, but he can be an immense threat later on if you've farmed SS for 100 to 150 extra damage. I have two shot casters with SS along with a Trinity Force and a good farm.

I also prefer to start with a Meki Pendant as opposed to a Sapphire Crystal. Meki outshines the Crystal if you're in the lane longer than 2 minutes and 25 seconds, and later builds into the Chalice for increased spamming. Increased spamming is more gold in the long run, so I find a Chalice a difficult investment to overlook.

Zero Control

10-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Johninator View Post
I agree with most of what you write, it's a good guide. However, unless I am the only physical dps champion on a team, I always get a Starks. It's too good to not take. Starks + Spirit Fire = -65 armor. Plus the extra 45% attack speed and, when added with your passive, 40% lifesteal. It gives you a lot of staying power in lanes and is fairly easy to obtain with a good farm lane. Trinity Force and -cooldown items have a lot of synergy, but are expensive to build up.

A lot of Nasus' strength lies in the ability to build a tank OR an effective physical dps. He can benefit your team by reacting to the situation. No, he's not the best dps, but he can be an immense threat later on if you've farmed SS for 100 to 150 extra damage. I have two shot casters with SS along with a Trinity Force and a good farm.

I also prefer to start with a Meki Pendant as opposed to a Sapphire Crystal. Meki outshines the Crystal if you're in the lane longer than 2 minutes and 25 seconds, and later builds into the Chalice for increased spamming. Increased spamming is more gold in the long run, so I find a Chalice a difficult investment to overlook.
i agree meki all the way. Chalice sells for about 600 something, so I toss it mid to late game when I snag my soul shroud, its a great carry early so you can spam SF.

Also I like starks a lot.... maybe you all can help me out here...

Does starks stack with your passive? Or do you use the highest life steal you have?

edit:
I looked it up in the mechanics sections let me answer my own question.... it looks like it does, which means starks has more bonuses and benefits than last whisper over all, so i would change those two items.

Sarenot

10-31-2009

When I do go for a bit more damage, i like Bloodthirster for the additional LS on top of starks

Zero Control

10-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarenot View Post
When I do go for a bit more damage, i like Bloodthirster for the additional LS on top of starks
Now that I know the lifesteal stacks and there is no diminishing returns that is cheaper and probably more rounded out for damage.

I will make some changes to the guide to reflect this change....

My fault for not educating myself on life steal.

Shillen

10-31-2009

I've been going the 400 mana item + 2 health pots -> sheen -> mercury treads -> warmog's -> phage -> trinity force lately. After that it depends on the game but usually banshee's or stark's or aegis or frozen heart or some combination of those.

Nasus is nice because his damage isn't very item dependent so you can afford to buy hp and team support items without sacrificing much.

Atmosfear

10-31-2009

Quote:
When you power up your SS and item it some you are a TOWER killing *****. You can hit towers for tons of damage with just whisper, sheen and a few last hits under your belt. use your ultimate to kill things around the tower and hit it even faster and harder. Your one of the best tower killers in the game IMO, because you can kill towers and tank at the same time, (other than that tower killing ***** Yi)
Last Whisper has no effect on towers fyi. I'm not sure about your reference regarding popping the ulti to hit harder and faster either. The ulti only gives you bonus HP and the life-drain aura (which converts to damage if thats what you meant).

LaLaGoodbye

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

10-31-2009

I do like your guide quite a bit. I've always played Nasus as a massive thwacking machine. I don't particularly think he makes a great tank though, even when I've built him as such. In my opinion he would be better off slotted into a lineup as a hardy melee DPS/support/pusher.

By the time you have 3-4 of your items and you hit for 700+ dmg per Wither. A major part of playing him is being zenlike with your last hitting abilities. Souls Fire is probably one of my favorite abilities in the game.

I've also tried some lifesteal items on him but I honestly don't like them very much at all. As a hero with 20% built in lifesteal at 18 (Correct me if im wrong) I'd think it'd be a bit more useful to stack a bit more damage/defensive items. Stuns will absolutely ruin your day, hence I tried to build my Nasus to survive a vicious beating while stunned (Thus not lifestealing)

Zero Control

11-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosfear View Post
Last Whisper has no effect on towers fyi. I'm not sure about your reference regarding popping the ulti to hit harder and faster either. The ulti only gives you bonus HP and the life-drain aura (which converts to damage if thats what you meant).

yeah i always forget about speed.... the Riot description of his ultimate on the site says attack speed and I always feel like there is more, but I thin you are right there isnt.

Zero Control

11-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budikah View Post
I do like your guide quite a bit. I've always played Nasus as a massive thwacking machine. I don't particularly think he makes a great tank though, even when I've built him as such. In my opinion he would be better off slotted into a lineup as a hardy melee DPS/support/pusher.

By the time you have 3-4 of your items and you hit for 700+ dmg per Wither. A major part of playing him is being zenlike with your last hitting abilities. Souls Fire is probably one of my favorite abilities in the game.

I've also tried some lifesteal items on him but I honestly don't like them very much at all. As a hero with 20% built in lifesteal at 18 (Correct me if im wrong) I'd think it'd be a bit more useful to stack a bit more damage/defensive items. Stuns will absolutely ruin your day, hence I tried to build my Nasus to survive a vicious beating while stunned (Thus not lifestealing)
I believe you hit 20% around 13 or 14.....I think, I tried to check this a few games ago.