Effectiveness Of Frozen Mallet?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Achenpach

10-30-2009

How viable is it for heros to rush Frozen Mallet?

Ive seen Master Yi's totally rape and dominate with the Frozen Mallet but overall im having pretty mixed feelings about this item :s

Please do help me gain some insight into this item

edit: ok i jus read about the fact that slow doesnt stack so my opinion of this item has dropped even more but feel free to discuss it still

Klinkin

10-30-2009

If you're using a DPS against opponents who are weak physically but adept at running away, it's very useful. Otherwise, you're better off getting it later.

Khrane

The Council

10-30-2009

I think it should never be a first major item, but occasionally as a 2nd item. It's usually best for 3rd or 4th (if it's even needed at that point.) Usually early on a phage is enough. Later on, you can get it, but it depends on your hero setup. Lots of AoE= not really needed, and if you already have a great chaser, it's not really needed.

So basically: probably not, but situational.

Fallen 62

10-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrane View Post
I think it should never be a first major item, but occasionally as a 2nd item. It's usually best for 3rd or 4th (if it's even needed at that point.) Usually early on a phage is enough. Later on, you can get it, but it depends on your hero setup. Lots of AoE= not really needed, and if you already have a great chaser, it's not really needed.

So basically: probably not, but situational.
The only char I really use it on is Tristana, and I use it like that. I get Phage, but don't rush to get the Mallet until later. By then the game is usually decided/over, so it doesn't matter...

Jothki

10-30-2009

It'd probably be really nasty on a fed ganker, but the ones that I've seen do really well just go for Trinity Force.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2009

tristana is gimped. nobody plays her in high elo games without getting yelled at, unless you happen to be one of those rare and precious few female lol players.

i also recommend just getting phage and completing frozen later. it's an item used by physical dps, and getting dps is more important than completing mallet.

GNOY

10-31-2009

I use it on Teemo and Tristana. ~700 HP + Slow improves early/mid game by a vast amount. Since I'm good at lasthitting ****, I usually have no problem getting it early. And Teemo with Mallet early game is invaluable, especially if your team lack slows/disables. Other than that I can occasionally buy it on other champs, but not as 1st major item.

Daja Kisubo

10-31-2009

What about the Frozen Mallet in conjunction with Anvina?

I'm just starting out here and trying to get a handle on the different champions (I'm still at the stage of getting killed by abilities I read up on but haven't seen in game), and I find myself drawn very strongly to Anvina. I read the two guides posted in the general sticky, and one of them mentioned the frozen mallet, adding the chill effect to her baseline attack to be used in conjunction with her Frostbite ability.

However, those guids look to be a little bit dated.... and I'm curious to hear what other players have to say about it, either as a standalone strat or as it would apply to a real game (ie giving up other items to get this, devoting gold to this item, etc).

Edit: Not bashing the people who wrote those guides, I'm loving the general overviews of the champions they provided, just looking for other opinions

ItsChai

10-31-2009

Mallet is great on some champs, but usually Phage + Lizard buff is more than enough. The missing HP can easily be made up with Elixir of Fortitude.

TenToedPete1

Adjudicator

10-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daja Kisubo View Post
What about the Frozen Mallet in conjunction with Anvina?

I'm just starting out here and trying to get a handle on the different champions (I'm still at the stage of getting killed by abilities I read up on but haven't seen in game), and I find myself drawn very strongly to Anvina. I read the two guides posted in the general sticky, and one of them mentioned the frozen mallet, adding the chill effect to her baseline attack to be used in conjunction with her Frostbite ability.

However, those guids look to be a little bit dated.... and I'm curious to hear what other players have to say about it, either as a standalone strat or as it would apply to a real game (ie giving up other items to get this, devoting gold to this item, etc).

Edit: Not bashing the people who wrote those guides, I'm loving the general overviews of the champions they provided, just looking for other opinions

the slow the mallet provides works with anivia's nuke (frostbite) that deals double damage to slowed targets, so you could say its alright on anivia, but really, it should not be an item you get for her. The writers of those guides i would assume meant that if you are matched with an ally who has the frozen mallet, it works well together, and not actually suggesting the item for anivia herself. Apart from the slow's synergy with her spell, the rest of the stats from the item are not what she should be focusing on. The hp is alright, but she has absolutely no need for damage, and can easily get HP elsewhere.

As for the opening question, firstly, if you have questions about the effectiveness of the items, you might be better trying the item discussion subsection of these forums. Frozen mallet is an item that gives the power to chase, and also added survivability with a little bit of damage, but really should not be the core item for any champion. It is much better for pretty much all physical dps/carry champions to build for damage first, and then maybe the mallet as a 3rd or 4th item. With the semi-recent addition of the trinity force, i believe that frozen mallet is much less needed than before. The slow from the trinity/phage is the same as mallets, just not guaranteed on every attack. With a fast attackspeed however, this does not really matter, as it will occur within 3-4 attacks anyway.