[Guide] Comprehensive Guide for Taric, The Gem Knight

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

yellowfrog

09-01-2010

Having Taric running around and not laning is pretty unorthodox strategy that I'm not sure many people can follow. In fact I would say it's really not a good idea.. If you want to do something like that, play Shaco. You basically already acknowledge that Taric isn't capable of taking down junglers alone by asking all your teammates to come along with you. By doing something so unfamiliar to most people, it's a bad gamble that has a high chance of failure. Early game with no boots and all that running around, your movement is extremely slow and you're losing out big time on laning exp. All for what? To try to gank a jungler?

Your strat doesn't even take advantage of what Taric does best, which is be an extremely strong laner. Laned with another DPS champ, it is very easy to net kills in the laning phase. WITHOUT running all over the place. Chaining stun and exhaust means death for squishies.

Things that Taric excels at are strong heals, stuns and taking down towers. You can't crit towers. I agree that attack speed runes are a decent choice, and arpen still works since you will be dealing more damage with your auto attacks.

Randuin's Omen is overkill. Enemies rarely focus him unless he's the only target around and he has enough innate toughness that dissuades them from attacking him. So the slow effect is wasted and Taric already heals like a boss so the health regen isn't that good either.

Instead I would use Nashor's tooth, starting with Stinger since it gives massive attackspeed increase. All the mods on Nashor's are good for him.

Starks is a good item, but it's also a high end item. Stinger is cheap and effective.

I don't usually find it necessary to have a dedicated mana regen item on him beyond my starting item -> mana manipulator. I also do not believe it to be high priority to upgrade mana manip to soul shroud. The benefits are not significant enough. Instead, rush Aegis because it helps immensely in early game fights.

I don't play Taric to get kills, so I wouldn't choose Ignite. I agree with Exhaust and Ghost being the best spells to choose, both of which synergize with his skillset. His role is to disable the enemy team, provide auras and healing so let your team do the killing.

Merc treads are not the only viable option, swiftness boots is also very good on him. Taric shouldn't be focused much at all as long as there is a main tank - I would abhor trying to play Taric as a main tank as I don't think he is one. They will rarely waste cc on him when there are more tasty and easy to kill targets.

*edit*

I would seriously fricken lol if I saw a ganking Taric during laning phase. Not even a jungler would go around ganking at level 2, and you're proposing Taric to go around "ganking other lanes" makes me question how many times this "strategy" worked. Think about what you're offering exactly. Running across the map to blow a 2 second stun, exhaust and maybe pull off a heal? You can't even do damage.

I hope you realize you could be doing all of this like a normal person, you know, in your own lane. Essentially to provide a solo lane, you're not asking people to jungle, just to wander around the map and not gain exp.

Rykoran

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-01-2010

Well said, yellowfrog. You conveyed my thoughts exactly.

americanbigmac

09-02-2010

I took both the author's and yellowfrog's advice, and went 10/8/31 I had to change build a little bit though. I went for frozen heat and banshee's veil because the team I was playing against had heavy melee dps and good magic damage, but obviously that was situational.

Bamft

09-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfrog View Post
Having Taric running around and not laning is pretty unorthodox strategy that I'm not sure many people can follow. In fact I would say it's really not a good idea.. If you want to do something like that, play Shaco. You basically already acknowledge that Taric isn't capable of taking down junglers alone by asking all your teammates to come along with you. By doing something so unfamiliar to most people, it's a bad gamble that has a high chance of failure. Early game with no boots and all that running around, your movement is extremely slow and you're losing out big time on laning exp. All for what? To try to gank a jungler?
]You are not just ganking them, you are shutting DOWN junglers. Compeltley. I've had side lanes at level 5, while jungler on the other team was 3. The reason for team mates is it makes the kill faster and you can feed you carries gold right off the bat.

Quote:
Your strat doesn't even take advantage of what Taric does best, which is be an extremely strong laner. Laned with another DPS champ, it is very easy to net kills in the laning phase. WITHOUT running all over the place. Chaining stun and exhaust means death for squishies.
Yup, Taric is a strong support champ for any damage dealer, which is why you assist every single lane, by running around and stunning and shattering. Remember that on your team you are still getting the full farm, while enemy team is constantly sent back to the fountain. You are still laning, just not as persistent (so your lanemates are more susseptable to poke harassment, but once again, if you find one lane to really struggle you can plant there.)

Quote:
Things that Taric excels at are strong heals, stuns and taking down towers. You can't crit towers. I agree that attack speed runes are a decent choice, and arpen still works since you will be dealing more damage with your auto attacks.
Reason for crit runes is early game. It'll help you harass a lot better, and is a significant surprise to most heros when chunks of their health go missing. It has a lot to do with the usual Dazzle > Shatter > Hit combo. With crit runes and masteries, that occasional crit will bring the target critically low, so that you can finish them after.

Quote:
Randuin's Omen is overkill. Enemies rarely focus him unless he's the only target around and he has enough innate toughness that dissuades them from attacking him. So the slow effect is wasted and Taric already heals like a boss so the health regen isn't that good either.
I do get focused a lot in my games, but Omen might be a bad choice anyway. I simply like it for AoE slow, but this is one of the things I am unsure of in the build, as you are going to make it way late into the game, and it almost never gets that far.

Quote:
Instead I would use Nashor's tooth, starting with Stinger since it gives massive attackspeed increase. All the mods on Nashor's are good for him.

Starks is a good item, but it's also a high end item. Stinger is cheap and effective.
Starks is for the entire team, stinger is just for you

Quote:
I don't usually find it necessary to have a dedicated mana regen item on him beyond my starting item -> mana manipulator. I also do not believe it to be high priority to upgrade mana manip to soul shroud. The benefits are not significant enough. Instead, rush Aegis because it helps immensely in early game fights.
I find I need an early Chalice as I am constantly OOM.

Quote:
I don't play Taric to get kills, so I wouldn't choose Ignite. I agree with Exhaust and Ghost being the best spells to choose, both of which synergize with his skillset. His role is to disable the enemy team, provide auras and healing so let your team do the killing.
Agreed xD

Quote:
Merc treads are not the only viable option, swiftness boots is also very good on him. Taric shouldn't be focused much at all as long as there is a main tank - I would abhor trying to play Taric as a main tank as I don't think he is one. They will rarely waste cc on him when there are more tasty and easy to kill targets.
Once again, I get focus fired a lot in games, I get CCed a lot in games. If you are not, that means you are not perceived as a threat, which is both good and bad.

Quote:
*edit*

I would seriously fricken lol if I saw a ganking Taric during laning phase. Not even a jungler would go around ganking at level 2, and you're proposing Taric to go around "ganking other lanes" makes me question how many times this "strategy" worked. Think about what you're offering exactly. Running across the map to blow a 2 second stun, exhaust and maybe pull off a heal? You can't even do damage.

I hope you realize you could be doing all of this like a normal person, you know, in your own lane. Essentially to provide a solo lane, you're not asking people to jungle, just to wander around the map and not gain exp.
In your own lane you don't have the element of surprise, which is very much needed for a proper gank. And it's good that this play style is underestimated, makes for some neat surprises. So far my Taric has gone 5-0 in ranked games, but he gets banned a lot so I can't keep playing him Not sure about Normal, but I believe to have +20 wins on him as he got me out of a significant dip in W:L ratio.

Bamft

09-07-2010

Just a quick update, so far my Taric is 7-0 in ranked. But to give you a rough estimate of how much money I do spend on wards and related consumables, I figured I'd provide some visual aid.

DFoxx

10-02-2010

I've been trying your guide out and so far man it is working amazingly. I understand exactly what you're saying about owning the meta-game after actually putting it into practice, and it gives your team gigantic advantages starting at level 1. Thank you, please continue to update this as new champions are released.

b gouge

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2010

What are your thoughts on spirit visage for Taric?

Crow Squid

10-20-2010

I am not sure why Taric would be a terrible tank. If poor Allister gets thrown into that role. Why not Taric who has a spell that increases his armor and offers half of it as a very tiny aura? Shouldn't he be one of the best tanks?

With the new patch I have noticed I OOM a lot more till I get a mana item.

Anyways I like the idea of being aggressive with Taric and I agree with the starks. the health regen is quite nice for the team and vampiric makes sure you don't always have to heal.

eZrashin

12-09-2010

Just look at your physical damage vs your magical damage.

Taric is a really long lasting DPS hero.

Mctot

12-09-2010

i like how your strategy for early game begins with praying