Shen,Rammus,or Cho'Gath?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NeuroticPie

06-04-2011

So I've got 3150 IP,and I'm looking to get a new tank champ.I've been playing Alistar for the past few days,but he just can't take the heat.Sure I can own with a Flash-Pulverize-Headbutt Into Turret combo,and heal a little every now and then,but whenever I actually try to tank he drops very very quickly.Don't get me wrong,Alistar is amazing,but he feels more like a beefish support champion to me than a tank.

I want a champ who can:Get and keep the enemies attention,then take the damage they dish out and laugh at it.Higher difficulty is a plus,because I enjoy challenges and improving my playstyle.From what I've learned so far,my three choices are Shen,Rammus,or Cho'Gath.Leaning twords Shen atm.But feel free to suggest anyone at all if you think they would work better.Thanks!

RushSecond

06-04-2011

From what you wrote, I don't think you would want Cho'Gath. Is is similar to Alistar; he has a good spell combo, but to tank you have to build a ton of defense items.

Shen and Rammus are both good though. Rammus typically jungles so you should base your decision on whether you want a jungler.

Snaketeeth01

06-04-2011

Shen offer's some farm ability towards mid game, especially since you can be off in lane watching a teamfight, then use ulti to drop in with taunt and a loaded Ki vorpal combo. Wit teleport it is very easy to keep control of the map and keep lanes pushed in your favor. 1 offensive skill, not including taunt.
I use taunt as my main ability because unlike rammus i can initiate like this from afar, hit with ki, use Q W and deal a significant hit and run.
Rammus has insane speeds with map control and can be an aggresive beast late game.
Cho is not very aggresive, he is scary so he can walk forward knowing the enemy wont approch. As Cho your dps allies have to be right on your back and you can go anywhere you want spamming his Q. as soon as one lands you can move up so your dps can wail on them and you silence any enemies that come to your team so your carries can get out. By diverting attention and making use of 2 CC's I say cho'gath offers the most crowd control. As well as a nice AP output and a naturally high health.

Tanking does not mean building armor's to soak up every hit the enemy can dish out, it's about making the enemy TRY to kill you. Dodging, fearing, and making effective use of his CC's accomplishes this more than the other 2.

Shen is a support tank. He is actually more powerful when played as an AP ninja, than if played as a soak. He may appear soft, but he isnt.

Garaze

06-04-2011

Shen.

More difficulty than Rammus, although Rammus can escape better. Depending on the situation, Shen can escape better.

Sydlanel

06-05-2011

Well its an interesting question.... hum, I guess its a matter of playstyle. I love Rammus, I find he can be very versatile, and seriously who doesn't think that roller-balling like sonic into an unsuspecting Xin Xhao and making him kill himself on your shell is not cool, haha. He can chace, escape quite decently, he can farm quite decently with his reflective shield, his ulti is fantastic for pushing towers and unsuspectingly doing very decent damage to a whole team, or a taunted enemy. And Taunt, that I would say is my favourite ability in the game. However, I would not say he is complicated to use, but he is still my tank of choice..

Cho Gath is one of the tanks I'm not overly fond of, but this is a very personal opinion. Its a bit harder to peel enemies off your dps, and even with the spikes and the silence, I think he is a bit weak against auto-attackers (although I have seen impressive ones). I would say that he is more complicated to play than rammus though because of his skill-shoting.

Shen I'd say is the most complicated and the most banned of the tanks (in ranked). I personally find it a drag to last hit/creep with him, and although I've tried him many times, I find it really hard to time his ulti properly (you need a lot of map awareness too), and it can be tricky to manage his energy gauge. That said, he is probably also the best rounded tank in the game. He has an escapeDash/AOE taunt, can do some nice harassment, and can really turn the tides of a fight by porting in and saving your main carry, so yeah he is probably your choice.
However, take note (and this goes to anyone from riot if you are reading), that if there is an enemy nocturne, His ulti disables yours, even when you know who he is going to attack, you cant use it until paranoia is gone.

One other thing, all of them can be pretty good junglers too. Probably Shen and rammus being better for it for the quicker assist/ganking possibilities.

Btw, just a doubt, do you own Amumu? because I find him another one of the best tanks in the game. Although I don't know how pricey he is. Well that's my 2 cents. Hope i could help you make up your mind about it.

mrmeisme

06-05-2011

i am in all modesty, a good cho'gath player. i think you should get chogath if: you can lead people with rupture, if you can kepp an eye on the health bars, avoid dying while still soaking dmg, farm in lane and have good runes and masteries to play him

Frawstbyte

06-05-2011

I'd take Amumu over Rammus for a jungling tank. It's a bit safer I think, and the ganks and initiating is just easier with Bandage Toss -> Ult. As for Alistar, I don't play him much... I'm not a fan of the playstyle.

I actually main Shen, and like above poster said it requires a LOT of map awareness to know when someone is in trouble. Shen has kind of died down though and isn't quite as good as he used to be. Aside from his ultimate and the AoE taunt, there isn't much else. However if you play a lot with Shen and focus on your map awareness, then you'll improve your gameplay overall by just being more aware as a player. Rammus is a good tank, but not a very good laner like Amumu so he really should jungle. As for Cho'gath, he definitely has the biggest lane presence in early game and can farm really well.

Rammus or Amumu are probably the best tanks in terms of just being a tank, but personally I have the most fun with Cho'gath. If you go tank Cho'gath, you can pretty much do whatever you want and just rampage everywhere. I also find that the extra damage from being Cho'gath as opposed to someone like Shen goes quite a long way to helping win teamfights.

Personally I would say Cho'gath or Shen. Rammus is good but is best as a jungler, so if you are a very capable jungler then go for it. Otherwise pick one of the other two and jungle w/ Warwick until you get the hang of jungling altogether.

Powerstoned

06-05-2011

Rammus can be very fun, his ult & defense stance and of course ball, are all a really fun utility to play with. It's obvious with a match or two why he is banned in most ranked play. Possibley the worst "last hitter" in the game though, so he is better at jungling, but still viable with a lane partner (hate having to solo top/mid)

Shen can end up being a nonstop game of trying to save your allies and getting yelled at if they preceive you could have saved them, but didn't. and that's not fun. At least a quarter of your matches will be a lot like this in solo que

Playing Cho'Gath isn't really tanking, just really super-lane harassing/farming without a lot of worry, until you get your max stacks or are simply fed.

biomorph

06-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garaze View Post
Shen.

More difficulty than Rammus, although Rammus can escape better. Depending on the situation, Shen can escape better.
Shen escapes better, but here is my concern ... Why would you evaluate a tank based on his ability to escape? Tanks are first in (or often so) and last out and possibly taking one for the team in the process as long as their team, or what remains of them, is home safe.

Rammus is the best tank, no question about it and because of it he is banned or first picked 9/10 ranked games or so for that very reason. So if you plan on playing a tank in ranked you should practice one of the other two.

I would prefer Shen because he has global presence, shield and taunt which can be extremely important.

Cho is more your average in-in-your-face tank that causes some havoc which is why he is better - but not great - at initiating fights than Shen is. And he is a great farmer which can benefit him greatly because he can gear up very fast and become a unkillable juggernaut of doom

Generally you should never initiate goup fights with Shen and he requires a bit more finesse than cho to master.