[Guide] Itemization, Strategy and Tips for Corki

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotFluf

VP of People

12-21-2009

Indeed, this is a great guide, thank you for putting it together. I primarily play Corki and find with this build he's versatile enough to be a major asset in both random and premade play.

I've just hit lv 20 and am trying to figure out what runes / masteries to go for.

On runes i see 3 primarily paths
Reds
- Armour Penetration - seems like this might be the best bet overall. Benefits all attacks and gattling gun (i believe), big impact early game (which i like as if i can get a lead soloing mid and shut down their carry, their team is in seriour trouble) - 15% more dmg vs 30 armour hero, 10% more vs 70 armour hero. Seeing as i typically go after low armour heros all game primarily, it makes it all the more appealing
- Crit chance - seems like a very good option as well, but seeing as i build sheen early and when it counts am often hitting with sheen procs, this isn't effective on every hit, and doesn't effect gattling gun.
- crit damage - i build for infinity edge, so the break point on this vs crit chance or armour penetration seems quite high, though it benefits on every sheen hit (great for burst damage early kills)

Yellows - tough call here, I don't feel like survivability runes really benefit me on corki that much - i generally either die quickly or last the whole fight, a bit more hp or dodge doesn't seem like a game breaker.
- I'm inclined to go crit chance here, but am interested to hear how others approach this.
- also considering the health regen / 5 - seems like it'd be very useful while laning, and 4% isn't a huge deal.

Blues - another tough call. The crit chance and damage runes are so low it feels like I should shoot for a primary here.
- Mana per second seems decent, as i find I'm hovering at a valkerie reserve level with enough to missle often pretty regularly.
- Cooldowns - I don't feel like cooldown reduction helps that much on corki unless its dramatic.
- Flat magic penetration is interesting for missle harrasement mid game (~7 magic penetration = 5% dmg), but probably not enough to bother

Quint
- Armour penetration seems like a great option here, as with marks + quints you can get to 34 (+25% dmg vs 30 armour targets - assuming you can't go negative). with this plus marks + gattling gun you're doing a ton more dmg with atks and gattling gun.

One other overarching issue with armour pen is it lessens the usefulnes of last whisper, though with inate 34 reduction, it may just mean i'd be better to build for bloodthirster, starks, etc. at that point in the game.

for masteries I'm inclined to go 9/0/21, but see 21/0/9 as potentially quite good as well, any thoughts?

thanks
Fluf

Shatia

12-27-2009

Need more ATK speed i think and marque du bourreau (sorry for the french name) : 15% cc and 18% lifesteal is very good.

Lightningfst

01-01-2010

I find that my particular playstyle tends towards the 21-0-9, 21-1-8, or 22-0-8 masteries. If I take Teleport and Heal, I go 21-1-8 for the improved heal bonus.

I will say the range decrease to Valkyrie made me cry inside, and it is very difficult to use it as a farming tool now. Generally I either can get either the melee or ranged minions, but not both unless I do some sneaky positioning.

I agree with most of the points Skrag brought up, especially on the Banshee's veil to add survivability when needed. In higher Elo games where late game can be more common, adding that extra bit of survivability can make the difference between doing amazing dps or no dps. Starks probably isn't a bad item, but Last Whisper would do much more for the armor pen and use a Bloodthirster for the life steal and raw damage.

As far as runes go, I generally do a mix of some armor pen, crit and crit damage. Having the crit early is really nice and makes you very very dangerous. (That and I personally love doing a harassing shot that crits for 150 damage at lvl 1 or 2.) As far as blue runes, I would go either reduced cooldown or mp/5 runes.

TheEternalCowboy

01-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningfst View Post
I find that my particular playstyle tends towards the 21-0-9, 21-1-8, or 22-0-8 masteries. If I take Teleport and Heal, I go 21-1-8 for the improved heal bonus.

I will say the range decrease to Valkyrie made me cry inside, and it is very difficult to use it as a farming tool now. Generally I either can get either the melee or ranged minions, but not both unless I do some sneaky positioning.

I agree with most of the points Skrag brought up, especially on the Banshee's veil to add survivability when needed. In higher Elo games where late game can be more common, adding that extra bit of survivability can make the difference between doing amazing dps or no dps. Starks probably isn't a bad item, but Last Whisper would do much more for the armor pen and use a Bloodthirster for the life steal and raw damage.

As far as runes go, I generally do a mix of some armor pen, crit and crit damage. Having the crit early is really nice and makes you very very dangerous. (That and I personally love doing a harassing shot that crits for 150 damage at lvl 1 or 2.) As far as blue runes, I would go either reduced cooldown or mp/5 runes.
So would you still max out Valkyrie so early given the range decrease?

ExpertVillage

01-17-2010

so all your AP comes from just the Trinity? I know this build is pretty good because I've been using it, but it seems kinda of counter-intuitive to make Corki so AD intensive when he's classified as a mage haha.

Lightningfst

01-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalCowboy View Post
So would you still max out Valkyrie so early given the range decrease?
It isn't a bad way to go, as Gatling doesn't become very effetive until you get some good items. Although, in some situations if you want to scare someone off, just pop a level 1 Gatling Gun and they will tend to run away from you. =P

I would probably change up the order a bit to include Gatling a little earlier, but I still need to mess around with it to see what is the most effective.

Lightningfst

01-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertVillage View Post
so all your AP comes from just the Trinity? I know this build is pretty good because I've been using it, but it seems kinda of counter-intuitive to make Corki so AD intensive when he's classified as a mage haha.
True dat lol. I've seen some AP builds that had some nasty nuke, but AD is a good carry build. And I guess either way you build him, his nukes do pretty good damage so he doesn't lose his mage status. =P

quitetroublesome

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-13-2010

Gatling gun + Wit's end + Malady + Black Cleaver + Maldred's Bloodrazors + Rlyai's Crystal Scepter = Ludicrous.

Concretar

03-07-2010

Hello,
congratz on a very handy guide. I copied going for Sheen early game although (due to mana regen runes I still have from my Mage past) I get the power tome instead of the mana crystal first. This gives a nice extra sting to your grenade.
I found that most games there is enough time (and farming fun) to amass about 2k before going back to base and Sheen + Boots are readily available.

After this though I do NOT save up for Phage. I found the Rageblade to fit Corki's skills much better as it is built up extremely fast and both atk speed and ability power are used.

Sheen gives me the edge in early game ganking practices but the Rageblade keeps me confident in large scary battles. As for phage, I've almost never seen the use for it - I only use it as a means to get to Trinity force. Anything I want to 'chase' will be dead within three clicks anyways.

I am at a loss when it comes to armor though - Wit's End seems to work ok for magic damage but buying actual armor for corki seems weird. Do you ever stack armor?

BUBAI

1337LoL

03-07-2010

Tri force isnt really that good TBH, its better to go straight damage.

And spamming moves at lv 1 is questionable, your bomb does hit for 80 but you can also auto atk for 70...you could pick up dorans and just auto atk instead of spamming bombs.

Also its not that hard to just last hit creeps instead of spamming valk/bomb constantly, keeping mana up is always a plus.

Also you should get cleaver before any other big DPS item, that and gat gun will bring your enemies to negative armor (assuming they dont stack).

And last whispers kinda pointless if the enemy has no armor?

Just a thought.