Speak-Easy: The fanfiction Idea Discussion thread

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Peffern

01-31-2013

Hey, hi! I found the communal talking place!
I had an idea for a fic using someone else's OC. Obviously I'm going to ask for his/her permission first, but what is the proper way to cite it?
Should I put a link to the post or what?

*yay a nice community! I'm never going back to GD*

EDIT: apparently the thread that contained said OC no longer exists.
So instead I'll post the idea here in the hopes that someone will recognize it (and of, course, I want feedback)

I saw a champion design idea for a void champion who was Kassadin's daughter (yes I know). The concept looked good but her lore (that the person had come up with) was that she was changed by the void and disowned her father. So I was thinking , if Kassadin is older than Malzahat, and factoring in time dilation from being in the void, Nasuanda (that was her name) could be relatively the same age as Malzahar. So they would probably quickly make friends, since Malzahar's next closest friend is an acid-spewing monster intent on consuming all life.
Gentle pairing (Malzahar/OC) but mostly just a story of their quest to bring the void to Runeterra as Kassadin tries to stop them.

Thanks for reading, I apologize for rambling rambles.

EDIT2: "Malzahat"?????

Cerubois

01-31-2013

Sounds really dramatic. o.o

Nothing like your daughter turning on you and joining your enemy after trying to save her...

As for the citing, it's up to the person who made it in the first place. Your idea of posting a link might work, if you can find the thread. Unfortunately, if they deleted it, there's probably a slim chance that they'll find this post in this thread. We don't get that much traffic here.

That said, Kassadin's daughter is an official character in the lore, so you shouldn't get in trouble for using her in a story in any case, even if your idea is possibly similar to someone else's... (I won't tell! >.>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peffern View Post
*yay a nice community! I'm never going back to GD*
It's about 95% safer here. :P

Frost Archer

01-31-2013

No criticism? That's kinda stupid in my book. Constructive crit is extremely helpful and can make a FF THAT much better.

Also, just out of curiosity, you say "as long as you follow the rules you may stay"

Are you really in any position to reenforce that? Since people kinda get to post at will.... Ofc, you can get DV, but do you get what I'm saying?

Cerubois

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostArcher024 View Post
No criticism? That's kinda stupid in my book. Constructive crit is extremely helpful and can make a FF THAT much better.

Also, just out of curiosity, you say "as long as you follow the rules you may stay"

Are you really in any position to reenforce that? Since people kinda get to post at will.... Ofc, you can get DV, but do you get what I'm saying?
Might as well ignore the first post. Deimus144 isn't actually around any longer, so it's rather irrelevant. :P

You guys can continue using this thread if you want, but if someone wanted to make a new one that was a bit more... open to opinion, then I don't think anyone would complain. ;P

MiaoLong

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostArcher024 View Post

Read it carefully. The rules state you may only critisize ideas, not PEOPLE. I'd heartily agree with that. Critiscm about ideas and stories are extremely useful. Criticsm about my mother aren't.

Peffern

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerubois View Post
That said, Kassadin's daughter is an official character in the lore, so you shouldn't get in trouble for using her in a story in any case, even if your idea is possibly similar to someone else's... (I won't tell! >.>)
Oh ok. As far as I knew, there wasn't much info about her except that, well, that she existed.
So as for the actual character, I borrowed heavily from the aforementioned post.
If there is more info, could you link me?

Frost Archer

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaoLong View Post
Read it carefully. The rules state you may only critisize ideas, not PEOPLE. I'd heartily agree with that. Critiscm about ideas and stories are extremely useful. Criticsm about my mother aren't.
Oh... derp. Though I gotta say, your explanation did make my day XD

[Edit] Wait no, I swear he probably changed it. It said something like you are only allowed to post ideas, not criticize.

Peffern

02-01-2013

This is derailing quickly

FATGUYSAY

02-01-2013

Rammus want's to be a ninja so he sought the teaching of the Kinkou...

Peffern

03-30-2013

I have now written the first part; I found the thread with the OC and then lost it. Anyway I'm going to post it nowish...