[Guide] Rammus, the Armordillo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

General Tso

11-19-2009

I'm a new Rammus user, so I have some basic mechanics questions.

I see how much damage is returned to my attacker when I am in defensive curl, but how often does it happen? I assume it happens everytime someone hits me while curled (rather than a single instance of damage upon ability initiation), but what about if I dodge the attack? If a dodge does not return damage than I would rather use mastery points/item builds that ignore dodge percentage.

In addition to dodge, I also noticed some items recommended that decrease opponent's attack speed. While this is of course always a good thing, wouldn't you rather decrease something else? More attacks on Rammus = more damage to enemy. To clarify; I understand that less attacks is always better, but given that attacking is mitigated by Rammus' returned damage, I would rather put the stats elsewhere.

Are my assumptions misguided?

Jeleasi

11-19-2009

Dodge means you get no dmg aswell so its fine. Remember that you arent a dmg dealer but a tank/assist hero. I do not agree with the build up there its good far starters but you should always get items to counter their heros. No use in having lots of armor if they are having 4 casters. It says in the spell how much dmg you reflect. YOu reflect every hit.
The good thing about getting items that reduce attack speed is that when, lets say a Tryn is raping your carry you can taunt him-> thus he attacks you, and when he gets back to your carry he has his attackspeed slowed.

General Tso

11-19-2009

Thanks for the response and clarification that it works on every hit. Basically what I got from that is my assumptions are correct, despite the fact that you might disagree with my decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeleasi View Post
Dodge means you get no dmg aswell so its fine.
Yeah I understand no damage to me is good, but I could just as easily concentrate on something else (magic resist for example), which will reduce damage like dodge, but also allow me to keep reflecting damage on my enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeleasi View Post
The good thing about getting items that reduce attack speed is that when, lets say a Tryn is raping your carry you can taunt him-> thus he attacks you, and when he gets back to your carry he has his attackspeed slowed.
Also true, but I can make the same argument. I could concentrate on another stat (damage reduction to enemies for example) instead of attack speed because their damage will be reduced AND I can reflect more damage on my enemies.

Jeleasi

11-19-2009

Teh forums ate my post. BUt on my own account (suzaxe, this is my brothers account) I play alot of Rammus and how you build your rammus depends on their heroes. The whole reflecting part isnt that important since frankly, non retarded carry heroes wont attack you unless you taunt em.

iPlastic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoplate View Post
I have never seen a rammus used good, so i thank you for making a guide that might change that.

Send me an Invite

Inukshuk

11-20-2009

What Jeleasi says is very true. First, damage is low priority for you, you shouldn't be thinking about how much you will reflect... you should be thinking about longevity and keeping your teammates alive.

Second, you should ALWAYS tailor your build to the enemies, however this guide is still valid as it stands because, in my experience, casters are far less common than melee. There are about 25 champs that rely on physical attacks and 15 that rely on magic (I stress the "ABOUT" of course the champs can be built many different ways).

More casters, more resist... More melee, more defense

but again, you shouldn't be overly (if at all) concerned with your DPS... if you want to DPS play Master Yi or Tristana

Gryfter

11-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
What Jeleasi says is very true. First, damage is low priority for you, you shouldn't be thinking about how much you will reflect... you should be thinking about longevity and keeping your teammates alive.

Second, you should ALWAYS tailor your build to the enemies, however this guide is still valid as it stands because, in my experience, casters are far less common than melee. There are about 25 champs that rely on physical attacks and 15 that rely on magic (I stress the "ABOUT" of course the champs can be built many different ways).

More casters, more resist... More melee, more defense

but again, you shouldn't be overly (if at all) concerned with your DPS... if you want to DPS play Master Yi or Tristana

At a certain point (which is WELL before 400+ defense, the other team just stops attacking you and goes for other heroes.

When you see this happen STOP getting armor/life, and start picking up damage items, so you can do more than just taunt.

This is also why I think thornmail is useless on him. If people ignore you, which they will, it's worthless.

My build is normally

Heart of Gold (sometimes 2)
mercury treads
banshee's veil
Armor/magic resist item as needed (guardian angel/frozen mallet/etc)

usually this is when you start getting ignored

Then go:
Bloodthirster
Last Whisper

Then you can punish them for ignoring you, and wreak havoc on their squishy carries.

Dancing Cow

12-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfter View Post
At a certain point (which is WELL before 400+ defense, the other team just stops attacking you and goes for other heroes.

When you see this happen STOP getting armor/life, and start picking up damage items, so you can do more than just taunt.

This is also why I think thornmail is useless on him. If people ignore you, which they will, it's worthless.

My build is normally

Heart of Gold (sometimes 2)
mercury treads
banshee's veil
Armor/magic resist item as needed (guardian angel/frozen mallet/etc)

usually this is when you start getting ignored

Then go:
Bloodthirster
Last Whisper

Then you can punish them for ignoring you, and wreak havoc on their squishy carries.

Rammus cannot be ignored.
His skills literally force the enemy into combat.
Why not just get a frozen heart, or something with a massive armor boost? 110 armor equates to almost 30 added damage.

makkii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyorin View Post
Rammus cannot be ignored.
His skills literally force the enemy into combat.
Why not just get a frozen heart, or something with a massive armor boost? 110 armor equates to almost 30 added damage.
i dont know why people are reccomending frozen heart, yes you get some damage from the armor+passive, but you lose ten fold more damage in a group fight because it slows your opponents attack speed thus gimping curl, get other items that have defensive stats but not a utility passive that gimps the damage of a great move.

Kinnetik

12-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkii View Post
i dont know why people are reccomending frozen heart, yes you get some damage from the armor+passive, but you lose ten fold more damage in a group fight because it slows your opponents attack speed thus gimping curl, get other items that have defensive stats but not a utility passive that gimps the damage of a great move.
If you think that Frozen Heart is a bad item on Rammus solely because of Defensive Curl, then you sir are a fool. Curl only lasts 6 seconds *and* the damage return is mitigated by magic resist.

Yes, the attack speed reduction on Frozen Heart *doesn't* have good synergy with Curl. It is *still* a great item.

You are *not* outputting big damage from curl in the first place, you are *not* always the target or first killed in a fight (thus reduced attack speed HELPS your team), and you can't spit on a 25% cooldown redux (talking 6-7 second re-Taunts & 45 second Tremors!)

This is besides the fact is it the *single* highest armor item in the game (Thornmail is close now with the boost, possibly the same with the -10% global reduction), and will also boost your damage.

Think of it this way, ask any good Rammus player when Thornmail is a good buy (Hint; with fast attack, big damage carries ala Yi, Trynd, etc.). If Thornmail isn't a worthy buy, why would Curl be so invaluable for it's damage?

Curl is your tank ability. The damage is icing.