viable hybrid builds?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Titus Lowestrum

06-05-2012

Are there any champs that have a viable hybrid build? It seems like every time a question about a hybrid build is asked the answer is "no it doesn't work." So are there any champs that can play a viable hybrid game?

Proletaria

06-05-2012

Jax is more or less hybrid all the time and I don't think there's any question about his viability.

Brettapod

06-05-2012

By definition, Rumble is a hybrid, though I find it best if you specialize in either being a tank or mage. In either build, I still get a Rylai's.

corallein

06-05-2012

Depends on what you consider a hybrid build, and what you consider "viable".

There are champions you'll see building a Hextech Gunblade once in a while, but then no other "hybrid" items.
There are champions that naturally do a good amount of both magic and physical damage, but often do not build hybrid items - though the champions that would build Hextech Gunblade are a subset of this.
And there are champions that _can_ build hybrid and do ok, but generally do better going straight AD/AP.

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-05-2012

Kayle, Nid, Jax, and Teemo can do hybrid the best imo

On all of them at some point in the game I normally get guinsoo rageblade(on teemo and kayle I have to be dominating my lane) and hextech gunblade(normally late game on teemo and nid though)
after those two items it depends on the champs, nidalee I go ap, the rest I build ad

I don't consider triforce AP even though it gives you 30, because it is not a lot, Although I do get it on kayle and jax most games

I think by your definition that isnt hybrid though, but hey 2 items that are hybrid, boots, and at least 1 defensive item only leaves you with 2 more slots so to mainly pick ad or ap

XCodes

06-05-2012

If I had the IP, I'd get Varus, and I'd play him with a Rageblade and a Malady, and in game I'd be all...

shoot-shoot-shoot-rain-shoot-shoot-shoot-arrow

Crazy Crann

06-05-2012

Poppy benefits fairly substantially by building Triforce and Gunblade, because she uses a mix of her Q and autoattacks to deal the bulk of her damage.

If I'm well-fed and snowballing into late game I'll even add a Rageblade to the mix (after my survivability items.)

ikillutwice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-08-2012

Jax and kayle are considered the best hybrids most of the time

XCodes

06-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikillutwice View Post
Jax and kayle are considered the best hybrids most of the time
Which is kinda funny, because Kayle isn't a very good hybrid. He can get his money's worth out of Rageblade, sure, but you'd be nuts to buy a Gunblade with him.

PinkPwnther

08-30-2012

There are three true hybrid items: Hextech Gunblade, Trinity Force, & Guinsoo's Rageblade.

This are "true" in the sense that they give both attack damage and ability power. Then there are some others which you could classify as hybrid because they have stats that augment both physical and magical attack, physical attack stats being attack damage, attack speed, armor pen, crit chance, and crit damage. Magical attack stats are ability power, magic pen, and cooldown reduction. (I am including all forms of attack/magic penetration/reduction as pen, for the sake of brevity.)

The semi-hybrid items are as follows:
Malady (ability power, attack speed, magic pen)
Nashor's Tooth (ability power, attack speed, cooldown reduction)
Youmuu's Ghostblade (attack damage, armor pen, cooldown reduction, crit chance; activated attack speed)
Zeke's Herald (attack speed, cooldown reduction)
And of course Stinger and Brutalizer, which build into Nashor's and Youmuu's, respectively.

Nidalee has been one of my mains for about a year and a half (I've been playing since summer 2010) and I've always build her hybrid. The current build I am using for her (end game) is as follows: Boots of Swiftness; Hextech Gunblade; Trinity Force; Guinsoo's Rageblade; Rabadon's Deathcap; Malady or Nashor's Tooth. Malady is a nice final item to squeeze in not only because it is cheap, but it adds magic damage to my auto attacks, as well as reducing the targets magic resist. If I can afford it however, I prefer to go with Nashor's, because it not only provides the same amount of attack speed, but 40 more ability power than Malady, some mana regen, and a whopping 25% cooldown reduction, the highest amount provided by any single item in the game (more spears anyone?).

When creating a hybrid build, you want to play to your champion's strengths. For Nidalee, I like increasing her speed (as she is already very fast, especially in cat form while travelling through brush) and concentrating more on her AP, as it increases the damage of all three of her human spells, and two of her cougar abilities. However, if your champ relies more on attack damage than ability power, I'd recommend swapping out the final two items of my Nidalee build for some AD items, or defensive items if needed (or if you just want to build an incredibly well rounded champ). Pick whatever boots you feel best fits your chosen champion. And as always, don't hesitate to tailor the build to suit the needs of the game you are in (Enemies too tanky? Get some Ar/Mr pen! Enemies too aggressive or powerful? Build defensive items! Etc...)

I hope this was helpful, and feel free to correct me if I missed anything.

Sincerely, PinkPwnther