New Meta for AP Casters

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

El Zapatista

06-22-2013

As I'm sure we've all noticed by now, the role of AP caster in mid is not as dominant as in prior seasons. The introduction of excessively mobile assassins like Zed and Kha'zix -- along with the introduction of BOTRK -- a lot of AP casters no longer have a safe home in mid. In seasons past, the AP caster used to be synonomous with middle lane. There were some ADC's in season 1 that thrived in mid, too, but they played second fiddle to the APC.

Seeing as I main AP in 5 mans and solo, this has taken me out of my comfort zone. As an aspiring game developer, I take no issue with players trying new things and attempting to reshape the meta. At first, I was a little puzzled why I started seeing so many bruisers in mid. Most of them were poor imitations of pros, and I dispatched of them pretty easily. As the season progressed, however, the bruiser mid role has been refined, and although there are plenty of ways to counter and build against them, there are some pitfalls to this new meta.

The most problematic aspect of bruiser mids is that anything an AP carry can do, they can do faster. They can clear lane faster, especially at early levels. They can clear wolves/wraiths, which most AP mids cannot due to mana use (at early levels at least), and in the case of Kha'zix and Zed, they can roam extremely fast with gap closers and wall jumps, which most AP carries do not have. This ultimately leads to bruisers having a strong game even if you get a couple of kills up on them. If you've scored a few kills on them, they'll push lane and roam, farming the jungle if gank opportunities aren't there.

Now I know it's not something that is broken or any such nonsense like that, but these advantages do have a strong impact on most games with even skill. You are often pigeon-holed into taking a small pool of AP carries that can explicitly deal with bruisers, such as Kennen, Rumble, or Kassadin.

So what I'd like to do is open up a discussion about new strategies for the AP caster. I'm not going to complain about mid becoming harder for my favorite AP champs -- I've been craving a new meta for awhile. But what I do want to figure out, is if there are popular tactics being used at the moment to place AP casters elsewhere on the map. I know Ryze top is fairly popular at the moment, as well as AP Nid top, but that's about it for me.

TL;DR: Any ideas for AP carries outside of mid?

Yankotsu

06-22-2013

Top lane, they are mainly AD close ranged, or Armor based tanks. So going a heavy AP (preferably with a stun of course <3) would counter nicely, and it would make great comfort zone because your squishy ass wouldn't have to worry about a gank from two sides, only one.

El Zapatista

06-22-2013

Yeah I've been trying a few AP tops, but if you're on red side it can be pretty nerve wracking.

Ldap

06-23-2013

Common - Ryze, Kennen, Rumble, Diana, Elise
Playable - Nid, Karthus, Annie, Fizz

Eccentrick

06-23-2013

I found both Diana and Swain pretty good in Top lane.

AsphodelNext

06-23-2013

Cho'gath, though the magic damage is pretty weak. Loads of CC though. Also, Akali, Gragas, Heimerdinger, Kayle(a little bit more of an AS hybrid then AP caster though), Teemo(same), Morde, and Vlad.

WeNeedVision

06-24-2013

i like dinga mid

420 LOL 69

06-24-2013

AP zilean ****s on most bruisers and ad casters mid

DarkeChampion

06-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zapatista View Post
As I'm sure we've all noticed by now, the role of AP caster in mid is not as dominant as in prior seasons. The introduction of excessively mobile assassins like Zed and Kha'zix -- along with the introduction of BOTRK -- a lot of AP casters no longer have a safe home in mid. In seasons past, the AP caster used to be synonomous with middle lane. There were some ADC's in season 1 that thrived in mid, too, but they played second fiddle to the APC.

Seeing as I main AP in 5 mans and solo, this has taken me out of my comfort zone. As an aspiring game developer, I take no issue with players trying new things and attempting to reshape the meta. At first, I was a little puzzled why I started seeing so many bruisers in mid. Most of them were poor imitations of pros, and I dispatched of them pretty easily. As the season progressed, however, the bruiser mid role has been refined, and although there are plenty of ways to counter and build against them, there are some pitfalls to this new meta.

The most problematic aspect of bruiser mids is that anything an AP carry can do, they can do faster. They can clear lane faster, especially at early levels. They can clear wolves/wraiths, which most AP mids cannot due to mana use (at early levels at least), and in the case of Kha'zix and Zed, they can roam extremely fast with gap closers and wall jumps, which most AP carries do not have. This ultimately leads to bruisers having a strong game even if you get a couple of kills up on them. If you've scored a few kills on them, they'll push lane and roam, farming the jungle if gank opportunities aren't there.

Now I know it's not something that is broken or any such nonsense like that, but these advantages do have a strong impact on most games with even skill. You are often pigeon-holed into taking a small pool of AP carries that can explicitly deal with bruisers, such as Kennen, Rumble, or Kassadin.

So what I'd like to do is open up a discussion about new strategies for the AP caster. I'm not going to complain about mid becoming harder for my favorite AP champs -- I've been craving a new meta for awhile. But what I do want to figure out, is if there are popular tactics being used at the moment to place AP casters elsewhere on the map. I know Ryze top is fairly popular at the moment, as well as AP Nid top, but that's about it for me.

TL;DR: Any ideas for AP carries outside of mid?
To be honest, I've found out the same thing but I adapted much faster. My main secret, although it's not really a secret, is that I will use unorthodox champions for each position, such as I will go Heimerdinger top or jungle, I'll build Corki as a hybrid AP/ADC in the bot lane, I've used Anivia as a support, and if you still want to do mid lane, then there are tanks that focus on AP such as Maokai. I guess the main way to be a good APC in the new Meta is to play top or jungle, since those are both solo positions and they aren't too much of a stretch, or play hybrids in the bot lane.

Action Beard

06-28-2013

going ap trist or nid bot as support is pretty good. and building an anti ap champ mid is soon to be the new meta cause they shred their counterparts