Theory-crafting: Void lore

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cookiehime

2 Days Ago

Hello fellow Summoners!

I came up with a hotchpotch of theories about Void lore that I have been crafting for some time. It's a bit messy, but I hope that it's comprehensible. First, we'll start off with a little introduction about the premise of Void lore. Secondly, we'll look at some Void-related characters which I'm sure you're familiar with (or not, it does not matter). And finally, we'll go into some details about the summoning of Void creatures... which I'm sure many of you (including myself) have been wondering about for a long time now.

(1) Premise

Long ago, summoners sealed away the abominations that came from the Void. They started appearing in the ancient civilization of Icathia, which was completely destroyed under unknown circumstances. Few ever dared to tread there ever since.

Among those who went to Icathia, few ever came back... alive or sane.

(2) Characters

The only two people (who we know of) who came back from their journey to Icathia are Malzahar and Kassadin.

The voices of the Void haunted Malzahar because his powers of foresight allowed him to hear them. He listened to their call and went to Icathia where he was driven insane.

Kassadin went to Icathia driven by a strong thirst for knowledge. He seems to be from Shurima and had been reading ancient texts about Icathia which have aroused his curiosity.

Minor theory about the characters and their transformation

The thing about Kass is that, after coming in contact with the horrors of Icathia, he was morphologically changed by the Void. He tried to resist the Void at first but then accepted it as part of himself to survive. Malzahar does not seem to have been affected in a similar way and kept his human body. Why is that?

My theory is that Kassadin's initial resistance to the Void is what changed him into an otherworldly creature. He could have been partially "consumed" by it. As for Malzahar, my bet is that he knew of his fate and did not even try to resist the Void (he never fought back unlike Kassadin). This could explain why the Void did not seem to have "consumed" him.

Mind you, I'm only basing this theory on that line:

"Bow to the Void! Or be consumed by it!"

(3) Summoning (this one is a bit long and complicated)

One thing that has never been explained explicitly yet is how the creatures of the Void are allowed to come (or come back) to Runeterra.

But before we go into more details about it, let's take a another look at Malzahar's lore.

His lore states that the voices directed him to the League of Legends, which is a place filled with Summoners. But knowing how the Void creatures are supposedly timeless and eternal, would they forget who sealed them away a long time ago? (psst.. it was the Summoners!)

But I have to point out that there is an inconsistency in the Void lore.

Some Void creatures like Vel'Koz, Kha'zix and Kog'Maw (inconsistent to a lesser extent since he's seemingly a young Voidborn) seem to have discovered Runeterra only recently and know nothing about it. However, others like Cho'Gath and the entities that directed Malzahar to the League of Legends seem to know a bit more about the world (and its fate... or rather, the fate they have in store for it).

I could theory craft about why Kha and Vel know nothing of Runeterra, but I'll save it for another time.

Nevertheless, how are Void creatures summoned? The only one we know of that was summoned was Kog'Maw (by Malzahar). The others seem to have popped up out of nowhere.

But if you read Cho's lore, it is said that:

"Even now, something dark stirs in Icathia, perverting the summoning rituals of the League to allow the presence of Cho'Gath."

What does that mean? Going head-on into theory-crafting territory here because summoning as a whole is such a vague concept in LoL. I can only assume that Malzahar has been corrupting the minds of summoners in the League of Legends or influencing them to join the Void. That could technically explain how he gathers cultists who can actually summon creatures from other dimensions. (He himself is akin to a summoner)

By assembling a large group of summoners.. or cultists if you prefer... Void creatures can actually be summoned during summoning rituals (that usually require a sacrifice). We learn a little about this in one of the JoJ issues.

-------

I guess that's enough theory crafting for today. And forgive the mish-mash. I have plenty of other theories in store since I'm such a huge Void lore fan. But feel free to ask me questions. It could give me plenty of ideas which I could use to theory craft.

Post your own theories as well Sometimes, it feels like I'm the only Void fan in the world.

SecretLore

2 Days Ago

Kog'maw more or less disproves that the void creatures are not timeless and eternal,because if they were,they wouldn't age,but kog'maw is a child,he still has to grow up into an adult.

While they may have long lifespans,or even live eternally(until killed),they are not timeless.

I think you are right about why kassadin was changed and malzahar wasn't.

OuttaControl56

2 Days Ago

I think Kassadin / Malzahar is a bit different:

Kassadin was actually exposed to the Void, and embraced it in order to keep his sanity.

While Malzahar was preyed upon by the Void and was consumed by madness long before he traveled to Icathia, and even then he was goner, so what he and Kassadin experienced were very different:

One sacrificed his body to keep his sanity, the other sacrificed his sanity to keep his physical existence. But its debatable Malzahar had any say in the decision, or was exposed to the Void in all of its glory.

Kassadin is not separate from the Void, he is as involved as Cho'Gath or Kog'Maw. He has to deal with his roots. But instead of using these connections to further the Void's cause, Kassadin has the fortitude to use the Void's own power against it. Question is, is that enough, or is it a fruitless struggle that makes no difference? Is Kassadin doing the right thing by just fighting the Void Champions, or should he be going around to the Populace of Valoran and try to rally the city states under his cause?

Foolish Lantern

1 Day Ago

I would like to offer my own opinion in regards to the nature of the Void as a place and its relation to summoning.

The Void and its denizens seem to take quite a bit of inspiration from the Lovecraft mythos and similar works; otherworldly locales teeming with horrifying creatures that shatter the minds of those unfortunate to come in contact with them. Cho'Gath is the Terror of the Void, Kog'Maw is the Mouth of the Abyss, etc. These titles are inherently foreboding, if not intimidating. In addition to these disturbing monsters is the notion that mortals who come in direct contact with the Void are driven to madness or outright killed.

That being said, I do not think of the Void as a prison so much as it is another reality, a space that exists alongside the universe Runeterra inhabits. Of course, transcending the barrier between realities is no easy task. If such is the case, it is somewhat confusing that creatures from the Void simply appear without any special fanfare or noticeable effort. This conundrum is made possible by a very special property of Runeterra that began with the first Runewar. Three magical wars took place in the worlds past, wars so devastating it left permanent reminders throughout the environment and necessitated the founding of the Institute of War to prevent a similar conflict from emerging. Magic permeates Valoran; nexuses occur naturally, a point of convergence for magic that apparently solidifies into a crystalline substance. It would be no small surprise if Runeterra is not exactly the most stable planet in existence.

With its metaphysical state so incredibly fragile that, in the right place at the right time (when the stars align or some other arbitrary requirement is fulfilled), the Void and Runeterra's reality are close enough (in a metaphysical sense, not a tangible one) for a native of the Void to stumble into Valoran, or vice versa. Particularly intelligent or powerful monsters, such as Vel'Koz or Cho'Gath, can disregard the chance encounter and force their way in through brute force; one of Vel'Koz's spells opens a portal to the Void, which is pretty casual use of a reality-tearing power. The reason there has not been an invasion of any sort is due to the Void's inhabitants.

Every Void champion we have seen has absolutely no relation to one another. They are indifferent at best and tolerant at worst, best exemplified by Vel'Koz frying the few unfortunate companions that tagged along for his adventure. These are independent creatures, and why would they not be? Judging from the standard disposition of every champion we have had that came from the Void, it is not a friendly or forgiving place to be; kill or be killed.

Where do summoners fit in all this? I suppose some Void monsters wish to plunder another world besides their own; new information to collect, new dishes to sample. However, since the means of going from the Void to Runeterra is no simple task, manipulating a being that can is the more efficient alternative to waiting around and hoping for the best. Summoners rip holes in reality, pulling an object from one place to another, and that cannot be safe. A high concentration of summoners in a single area seems a very unstable situation. This is why I believe Malzahar was pointed towards the League of Legends. Imagine a summoning gone wrong; suddenly there is this gaping hole where all manner of crazy critters are pouring through. And if a hole exists, it is that much easier to make it bigger, allowing larger, more dangerous, and likely more cunning monsters through. Monsters that cannot create portals to other worlds, but nonetheless want to see if the grass is really greener.

BIG WALL OF TEXT; TONS OF DAMAGE.

Sharjo

1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish Lantern View Post
BIG WALL OF TEXT; TONS OF DAMAGE.
I really dig this theory. In particular the part concerning the nature of the Voidborn, and how they are so different. I draw back to Starcraft 2, and the origins of the Zerg, particularly the ones called "Primal Zerg". The main Zerg were transformed, controlled and that jaz, but the primal zerg remained on their home planet, evolving and adapting with every kill. The world's name was Zeras if memory serves, and no two Zerg were ever completely alike there.

The Void seems like that; the Voidborn are in a constant state of evolving, making themselves better for the fundamental principle of survival and nothing else. Their intelligence only extends far enough to be helpful to them, any more intelligence it would be a hiderance. This is the difference we see between Kha'Zix and Vel'Koz, where Kha'Zix doesn't need high intelligence, but instead acute awareness, his intelligence is on the fly thinking, not in anything philosophical. Vel'Koz adapts through consuming information and learning, and as such he only needs to be intelligent enough to be able to analyse and, in the most basic way, comprehend what he is learning. He doesn't need to know why things act as they do, he just needs to know that if a set of circumstances come in to play with a subject will behave as such. He needs the facts, not the theory.

The difference also means that these two, and potentially other Voidborn, would rather avoid each other than actually try and eat each other. It's been stated in a Q&A that Kha'Zix wouldn't want to eat something intelligent, because that would kinda wreck his mentality. Kha'Zix wouldn't want to eat Vel'Koz because that comprehension isn't something the...or maybe a Voidreaver needs. At the same time, Vel'Koz wouldn't want to learn about Vel'Koz, because he already knows about the Void, and its inhabitants. He's likely to recognize which Voidborn are actually a threat to his life, which ones he can fight, and which aren't an issue, through simple observation.

Given the way that VUs are coming along, I'd be willing to say that when Cho'Gath gets his VU, he may be "dumbed down" just a tad. To elaborate, Cho'Gath is an entity who consumes to grow. Kha'Zix is the "consume and adapt" Voidborn, Vel'Koz is the "consume and learn" Voidborn, Cho'Gath is the "consume and grow" Voidborn. What would he need in terms of intelligence other than recognizing his environment, what's active, what's dead, and what's worth eating? In contrast he'd maybe be the least complex of the Voidborn, because Vel'Koz and Kha'Zix both have more than rudimentary intelligence, because of what their reason for consumption is. Since Cho'Gath's consumption justification is growing bigger, he doesn't need their levels of intelligence.

To summarise, Voidborn seems to me a species name for a whole bunch of varied, ever changing independent creatures. They might not even be the same species, given just how varied their anatomy and behaviour is, and the name Voidborn might just literally be that: Born from the Void.

Course that might all be complete bollocks, I dunno! It's fun to speculate though!

On another note, I'd like to see what a "herbivorous" Voidborn would be like, if such a thing could even exist. A Voidborn who's against the curve, possibly because they've evolved to a point where they don't need to evolve further, because there's no competition towards them anymore.

ADDITION/EDIT/SOMETHING: I personally like the idea that Icathia was the home of the Darkin, they inadvertently summoned the Void, and it led to their near extinction. No evidence to suggest that at all, just me thinking it's kinda cool!

Foolish Lantern

1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharjo View Post
I really dig this theory. In particular the part concerning the nature of the Voidborn, and how they are so different. I draw back to Starcraft 2, and the origins of the Zerg, particularly the ones called "Primal Zerg". The main Zerg were transformed, controlled and that jazz, but the primal zerg remained on their home planet, evolving and adapting with every kill. The world's name was Zeras if memory serves, and no two Zerg were ever completely alike there.
Close; it is Zerus. Had to look it up because it sounded right.

Also, I think this is a very apt comparison, fitting the Void's nature of being a dangerous place where the only means of moving forward is by chewing through the guy in front of you.

Quote:
The difference also means that these two, and potentially other Voidborn, would rather avoid each other than actually try and eat each other. It's been stated in a Q&A that Kha'Zix wouldn't want to eat something intelligent, because that would kinda wreck his mentality. Kha'Zix wouldn't want to eat Vel'Koz because that comprehension isn't something the...or maybe a Voidreaver needs.
This, however, does make me a bit sad, as it leaves Kha'Zix, and consequently all other Voidborn, as little more than organic machines; there is no development of their personalities, no potential for existence beyond "kill (disintegrate), consume, adapt, repeat". It's similar to a workaholic, where nothing matters outside of the job, which, to me, is incredibly boring from a greater narrative standpoint.

Quote:
Given the way that VUs are coming along, I'd be willing to say that when Cho'Gath gets his VU, he may be "dumbed down" just a tad. To elaborate, Cho'Gath is an entity who consumes to grow. Kha'Zix is the "consume and adapt" Voidborn, Vel'Koz is the "consume and learn" Voidborn, Cho'Gath is the "consume and grow" Voidborn. What would he need in terms of intelligence other than recognizing his environment, what's active, what's dead, and what's worth eating? In contrast he'd maybe be the least complex of the Voidborn, because Vel'Koz and Kha'Zix both have more than rudimentary intelligence, because of what their reason for consumption is. Since Cho'Gath's consumption justification is growing bigger, he doesn't need their levels of intelligence.
I am a bit on the fence in regards to this. Cho'Gath being a clever, intelligent monster is a beautiful juxtaposition to his hulking, brutish appearance. What is more terrifying than a beast the size of a house and the mind of a master tactician? Few things, I imagine. However, the direction I suspect Riot will take him in is as the "kaiju" of the Void, considering his mechanic of physically growing larger and eating his victims whole. I feel this carries the same horror factor. In my mind, Cho'Gath is so big he doesn't need to think; a single-minded monstrosity that brushes aside all attempts to put him down as he lumbers inevitably closer to the ADC. Cho'Gath does not need to consider how he is going to kill you, because in his mind you are already dead, and nothing short of your entire team will stop him.

Quote:
To summarise, Voidborn seems to me a species name for a whole bunch of varied, ever changing independent creatures. They might not even be the same species, given just how varied their anatomy and behaviour is, and the name Voidborn might just literally be that: Born from the Void.

Course that might all be complete bollocks, I dunno! It's fun to speculate though!
I can dig it.

Quote:
On another note, I'd like to see what a "herbivorous" Voidborn would be like, if such a thing could even exist. A Voidborn who's against the curve, possibly because they've evolved to a point where they don't need to evolve further, because there's no competition towards them anymore.
This, I will say, does not feel quite as possible to me. The "Void" seems a strong indication to me that this space the Voidborn inhabits is not exactly the most lush environment, which necessitates the fierce competition between its native species. There exists so little there that the only means of acquiring sustenance is via absorbing any naturally occurring energy, as Vel'Koz might (no mouth), or eating whoever happens to be nearby. I think this plays in nicely with Kog'Maw's design as a juvenile Voidborn ADC; being so small and young puts him at great risk, so why not digest a meal from range, or deter predators? I am not saying it is impossible there exists some form of herbivorous Voidborn, just unlikely. Though by technicality, Vel'Koz may qualify.

SecretLore

23 Hours Ago

Overall Cho'gath seems to be actually the most complex thinking voidborn.

I mean Vel'kozs way of thinking is kinda weird,but in the end he is fixated on gaining information,similar to how kog'maw and kha are fixated on eating.

But cho'gath is not.
Many people say that newer champs make the older look bad(quinn was scared by lissandra,rengar lost his eye to kha AND was scared by MegaGnar and of course there was jayces original lore that made viktor look like a hypocritical weakling),but I'd say it is probably the opposite with cho.
He seems to be the only voidborn who isn't fixated on eating alone(even though it is part of him),he is the only one where I wouldn't be surprised if he did have some kind of ulterior motive(and it would make sense that this is possible,since the void did call to malzahar and the voidlings seem to tolerate him)

Ebonmaw Dragon

21 Hours Ago

Quote:
Cho'Gath is the "consume and grow" Voidborn. What would he need in terms of intelligence other than recognizing his environment, what's active, what's dead, and what's worth eating? In contrast he'd maybe be the least complex of the Voidborn, because Vel'Koz and Kha'Zix both have more than rudimentary intelligence, because of what their reason for consumption is. Since Cho'Gath's consumption justification is growing bigger, he doesn't need their levels of intelligence.
Actually, i believe that Cho does not consume to be bigger or due necessity... His real reason of eating is to cause suffering and fear, THAT is his real "justification".

He is the only champion from the void that actually enjoys to destroy and kill. The rest of them eat due need, for hunger, to survive or "Learn"... Cho Gath already evolved beyond that, he is on the Top of the Food Chain. At least that is what i think.

OuttaControl56

21 Hours Ago

We know to little about the Void, except that it's existence is enormous and it's dark as heck in there. Kinda like a parallel to outer space but crawling with monstrosities.

It's not safe to jump to any conclusions about the nature of the Void or the Voidborn, I feel. They may all seem very terminal and single minded, but that does not mean they know things.

For example, Vel'Koz sometimes pauses from his search for knowledge and murmurs "I miss the darkness."

Cho'Gath has a similar line. Kha'Zix loves to remind the summoner to "Fear the Void." This has nothing to do with evolution, by Kha'Zix is almost taunting us...

Kog'Maw is excited for the eventual arrival of his father, and something that he refers to as terror.... "Terror coming... daddy coming!"

Make no mistake, Void creatures may have their passions and fixations, but they all have an intelligence beyond that, and what the know is something that we desperately need to find out, no matter how grim the knowledge is.

Which begs the question... Why doesn't Kassadin tell us? If he's to be our savior, why is he so quiet about the Void?

Foolish Lantern

19 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaControl56 View Post
It's not safe to jump to any conclusions about the nature of the Void or the Voidborn, I feel. They may all seem very terminal and single minded, but that does not mean they know things.
With how little we do know, it is a bit inevitable we do form our own opinions on just how the Void functions. Besides, it is just speculation; people can agree with me or disagree with me and regardless of how close or incredibly distant my own assumptions may be, Riot's word is the only one that is canon. Relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaControl56 View Post
Which begs the question... Why doesn't Kassadin tell us? If he's to be our savior, why is he so quiet about the Void?
Perhaps the logic Void creatures, and possibly the Void itself, operate on is so far removed from our understanding of reality it is utterly incomprehensible, and to try making any sense of it unfailingly leads to madness.

Just a thought.