Should They Bring Back The JOJ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dotintheparadox

03-25-2014

A while back, Riot had a written series called the "Journal Of Justice", in this series the events that occurred in Runeterra were expanded upon, and we were given better glimpses of the personalities of the champions in the league. Occasionally, we were even given teasers of future champs as well (Brand, Yorrick, Rumble, etc.)
Honestly, I was not around for this series while it was active, but I read up on the chapters on the wiki, and I loved them, they helped give more personality to the game, while making the world seem more fleshed out.
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=1680645
Here they say the JOJ actually limited the lore that could have been presented, but honestly just because you can present the lore in this manner doesn't mean you have to only show it here, also after the JOJ, we rarely get any significant lore other than backstories these days and even then, there are a lot of characters we're waiting on for updates (I'm fine waiting by the way, I know it takes time to revitalize the old characters.)
But all in all, I think the JOJ could be reintroduced as a lore enhancer, not as the sole introduction to the world's lore, I mean it's not like summoners are the only literate people in this world.
(Link to JOJ issues) http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...es#cite_note-0

(P.s. sorry if my writing has atrocious derivations, I have an issue with run-ons)

OuttaControl56

03-25-2014

Should the JoJ come back?

Is the pope catholic?

Just the small head canons were amazing. I know Riot is focusing on "big plot lore" but the interactions off-rift between the champs, no matter how trivial, really allowed us to connect with them.

SecretLore

03-25-2014

Well I was never such a big fan of the JoJ(got also only interested in the lore after it stopped),but I'd say it is still better than no lore at all,so I'd welcome it as long as we don't get some other kinds of lore.

I think the whole "it restricts the lore"-thing may have meant differently.
a lot of lore means there are a lot of things to keep tack of.
If for example the JoJ mentions that Champ X has no brothers it will completely destroy the possibility to create a brother for that champ,even if one of the rioters has a totally awesome idea for that.

Even worse is probably the possibility of introducing a character in the JoJ and fans demand him to be made into a champ,but the characterization of said character doesn't fit into the league.

Of course this can be avoided through proper planning,but I doubt that riots lore-team is big enough to do that,while doing other stuff.

Also a lot of lore is currently reworked and even parts of the JoJ aren't canon anymore,which is likely the reason they pulled it off.

Dotintheparadox

03-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretLore View Post
Well I was never such a big fan of the JoJ(got also only interested in the lore after it stopped),but I'd say it is still better than no lore at all,so I'd welcome it as long as we don't get some other kinds of lore.

I think the whole "it restricts the lore"-thing may have meant differently.
a lot of lore means there are a lot of things to keep tack of.
If for example the JoJ mentions that Champ X has no brothers it will completely destroy the possibility to create a brother for that champ,even if one of the rioters has a totally awesome idea for that.

Even worse is probably the possibility of introducing a character in the JoJ and fans demand him to be made into a champ,but the characterization of said character doesn't fit into the league.

Of course this can be avoided through proper planning,but I doubt that riots lore-team is big enough to do that,while doing other stuff.

Also a lot of lore is currently reworked and even parts of the JoJ aren't canon anymore,which is likely the reason they pulled it off.
But mot of the JOJ is still canon, the only thing I can think of that isn't is Trundle, where they just had a few passing remarks on his plague. Also, most of the people I play with loved it too, and I think the only character I've seen introduced that people want worked was Kassidin's daughter.

SecretLore

03-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotintheparadox View Post
But mot of the JOJ is still canon, the only thing I can think of that isn't is Trundle, where they just had a few passing remarks on his plague. Also, most of the people I play with loved it too, and I think the only character I've seen introduced that people want worked was Kassidin's daughter.
I think the new Maokai lore also contradicts some parts of the JoJ

AbiwonKenabi

03-25-2014

We got both Sejuani and Lissandra (released even after the JoJ finished) out of the JoJ so its clear Riot has no problem with creating champs from JoJ characters when it makes sense. I would love to see Kassadin's daughter released.

Also other than Trundle, the only retconned thing in the JoJ I can think of is changing Twisted Treeline's location to the Shadow Isles.

IMTOOJUICY

03-25-2014

they did some newspaper headline thing a few months ago during the release of forecast janna. it was fun, but they haven't done it since. maybe it garnered too little web traffic or something.

SecretLore

03-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbiwonKenabi View Post
We got both Sejuani and Lissandra (released even after the JoJ finished) out of the JoJ so its clear Riot has no problem with creating champs from JoJ characters when it makes sense. I would love to see Kassadin's daughter released.

Also other than Trundle, the only retconned thing in the JoJ I can think of is changing Twisted Treeline's location to the Shadow Isles.
yeah,but was there really much known about sejuani or how she fights?

It is more about characterizing a champ in the JoJ(or rather lore in general,I noticed that aside from guys who die in the lore of a champ,there aren't many npcs mentioned in the lore of a champ,we may get the information that there are others,but without any hint about their character)

I mean lets take general ducouteau as an example,he is classified as a master with the knife and a master assassin too.
the problem here is that simply being a knife-user isn't unique enough,since we have katarina who specializes in knives and we have talon who is already an assassin.So what could be done with general du couteau to make him unique?Everything he was characterized for is already present in the league.
If they didn't characterize him before they would have many possibilities for him,he could have magical powers,weird weapons or whatever,giving the creators much more freedom for creating him.

In Lissandras case this was avoided through the plot twist that lissandra deceived everyone the whole time,thus making her characterization from the JoJ insignificant.

Morec0

03-26-2014

IF Riot still seemed interested in fleshing Runeterra out as a world I'd say "yes", but they seem to have moved away from it to, instead, focus on the characters - while this COULD be done in the JoJ as well, there are simpler methods that could also be employed without having to put comedic/based-on-the-world filler in to flesh out the pages more.

Dotintheparadox

03-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morec0 View Post
IF Riot still seemed interested in fleshing Runeterra out as a world I'd say "yes", but they seem to have moved away from it to, instead, focus on the characters - while this COULD be done in the JoJ as well, there are simpler methods that could also be employed without having to put comedic/based-on-the-world filler in to flesh out the pages more.
But, other than opening lore, we have gotten nothing on the characters, (Except for Quinn's field report.) and there are things I definitely want explained, even if they are just small things, like why is Nautilus rivals with Fizz and Nami? There is no explanation for it. Shaco, Nocturne, and Fiddles are friends?

Also, about characters lores being changed, and then they no longer coincide with past writings, it's known as a retcon, and it doesn't change much of anything, when it comes to character stories, Riot presents these champs as if they were comic characters, they all have character arcs, interesting powers, the "Good" characters have lost loved ones, the "Evil" ones have motivations mostly tied up in greed of some kind, and there are countless plots occurring. Riot has made a new comic universe, not a fantasy one.