Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knight of Dusk

11-17-2012

Quote:
1st game voli, 26/2/5
2nd game voli, 20/1/8
3rd gamevoli 28/4/1
most of my early voli game looked like this.
fyi i was in top lane.
That's some great scores! Volibear does really well in certain match ups. Just don't expect the same results every game. Volibear does fall behind later because he scales poorly right now, and good players can counter him really hard with even weak CC. Judging by the low assist count I'm also assuming you Frenzied quite a few kills. Not calling it KS, just try to feed teammates that don't get as many kills. Sadly, they are probably better at using the gold than Volibear is.And even if that's not the case, it's easier to shut down one fed champion (A fed Volibear can take a beating though, better organize a five man gank for this one) than a team that is equally strong.

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KygqQ8pu3pg

Knight of Dusk I think you should see this.
Yessss. That flippin' jump animation. I like how after watching it once, you can go back and freeze frame every scene to read the chat box and you get two videos in one! Looks like it's still very early in development to me, but it also looks fun and promising. Will keep an eye out for it.

Quote:
Wellp, there goes my hope for Volibear.

Even with Knight's theory crafting for a damagey build, Voli wont survive these changes.
Ignite has always been just as big a threat as this poses in a fight. We'll manage. Shame it's such a tasty looking item though, most casters shouldn't hesitate to get it if they need it. It's also blessed with Morello's name AND named after the Necronomicon, so that makes it ten times more terrifying and appealing.

---

Almost back inside the PBE again. This will be fun! So much to try and test. I want to see if Muramana + Frozen Fist works out on Volibear too. Also, Hextech Gunblade seems to no longer have spell vamp listed as unique. So... stacking gunblades. Rageblade also much more powerful. Better tank item selection. Are they TRYING to make Jax stronger?

And Hecarim. Oh man I need to see how good he has become. I just hope it isn't too good, I really don't want to see him nerfed. He's my favorite Jungler these days ;_;

(Sorry Nocturne, I'll use you again soon! Sometime. Eventually. Maybe. I'm sorry.)

Knight of Dusk

11-17-2012

So I'm in the PBE.

Volibear works pretty well from what I can tell, still trying to figure out a decent build order and possible item selection. Manamune needs to be built early on, but it adds very little to start with since you don't really gain much from all that mana at first so you're paying 2000+ gold for 30 or so AD at that point. I couple it with an early Glacial Shroud which gives it a little boost, since you get more mana. Leaving it as a Tear until it maxes is a possibility, but I feel like I use skills too rarely (lol cooldowns) to fill it quickly enough that way.

Also, I was just now getting me some of that brand spankin' new Hecarim jungle. Exciting!

I died at blue. And I had to recall once just so I could get more health potions after I got back in there. This is before finishing a single clear. Like, wow. I got DESTROYED. I had the machete. Which was a big, BIG mistake. What made it even worse? I had a blank rune page! My runes must have failed to save because now that I checked it was all blank. Wow, just... amazing how terrible it was.

A bouncy Furret

11-17-2012

I've heard that Machete is required starting to win this new jungle.

StupidLoudPack

11-17-2012

bump

Knight of Dusk

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Arçadius View Post
I've heard that Machete is required starting to win this new jungle.
It is for some. Those with high single target damage can do it, since they use the 10% bonus really well. Attack speed also is great, Voli is one example of one who uses the machete correctly.

Hecarim who only really does AoE however, falls flat. But then again, I had NO runes that time, so he might still be able to pull through with machete.

I've also tried Volibear some more. Got full build. I have to say, he handles impressively compared to before. I believe this was my build:

Muramana
Frozen Fist
Frozen Heart
Runic... Bulwark? The Aegis upgrade. Dat MR.
Warmog's
Merc Treads

Edit: Oh and, I believe if you can work some AS into it and he'll do much, much better. Wit's End perhaps. Mana does drain rather quickly though if you forget to pay attention to it. I'll try to do some more testing later today if I manage to stay logged in, going out for a few hours now.

Asdioh

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Timber View Post
1st game voli, 26/2/5
2nd game voli, 20/1/8
3rd gamevoli 28/4/1
most of my early voli game looked like this.
fyi i was in top lane.
lol, I still have a screenshot of a stupid game when I was a newbie: http://i.imgur.com/inGJU.jpg
I like how I stacked armor against a team that had 2 AP champs

Anywho, does anyone else feel like Volibear's passive is one of the biggest things that need a rework? I'm sure we've all been saved by it plenty of times, but the truth is, it falls off at higher levels of play. It usually only works against people that are ignorant of it, or just forget. Against more experienced people, they just ignite you or whatever, and you usually take so much burst (unless you're super fed) that you die before the passive even helps at all.

I feel like his passive should be changed to something that gives him legitimate tankiness, as right now he's considered a tank/tanky dps yet he has no shields, no armor/MR steroids, just a passive that scales with health and is hard countered easily. I also think it should help him out in the jungle. Other than his passive, I feel like his W should be turned into a damaging nuke with a shorter cooldown, rather than an execute, since an execute simply doesn't fit into his kit and makes him a "kser" (and a slow jungler)

Do you guys have any ideas for what would be a cool passive change? I have one, I'll talk about it later

Knight of Dusk

11-17-2012

Yeah the passive needs a total do-over. Easily countered, yet it's such a critical part of him!

I'd love to see some sort of play on his lightning theme and his armour. Just a simple Armour and Magic Resist increase is just SO boring though, but probably one of the more effective solutions.

Here's a quick idea:

Storm Armour (Passive)
Every time Volibear uses a skill he gains 1 charge of Storm Armour. For every charge, Volibear gains 10 armour and magic resistance. Volibear can have a maximum of 5 charges.

Whenever Volibear gets struck by an enemy champion, his armour unleashes an electrical discharge damaging nearby foes. This effect consumes 1 charge of Storm Armour and can only occur once every 1.5 seconds.

This just an example, but something along these lines perhaps? (the numbers are way of, you'd be jungling with a 50 armour bonus with this configuration if you'd just spam one skill 5 times before minion spawns) You'd essentially always have the bonus stats in some amount, but there's that little fun feature there too. The damage done could easily scale with health. More power to tank Volibear, and you get to keep the fun 5 WARMOGS, GET DUNKED theme of his.

---

I also agree that Frenzy should become a normal nuke instead of an execute. I love using it, but it doesn't really help my team if I accidentally kill steal and doing so much damage and scaling with a tank stat is just... wrong.

Asdioh

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Dusk View Post
I also agree that Frenzy should become a normal nuke instead of an execute. I love using it, but it doesn't really help my team if I accidentally kill steal and doing so much damage and scaling with a tank stat is just... wrong.
i dunno if the health scaling is bad, but I definitely agree about the execute part. Your passive suggestion sounds interesting. What I had in mind was something like this:

Chosen of the Storm: Whenever Volibear is struck, he heals 10% of the damage dealt over 3 seconds. In addition, if Volibear falls below 30% health, he gains bonus armor and magic resist for 8 seconds. This additional effect has a 2 minute cooldown.

Something along those lines, obviously numbers are subject to change. What this does:
-keeps a bit of the regeneration aspect of voli
-is actually useful for jungling, as it is a minor form of sustain
-isn't as hard countered by a single ignite, or the Morellonomicon etc.
-still scales with health, as the secondary effect becomes more useful the more health you have, but it doesn't REQUIRE you to stack health like the current volibear has to
-gives you real tank stats when you are in need of them, something volibear currently lacks even though people often call him a tank.

whatcha think?

Tsukinoki

11-17-2012

Bump for bears!

Knight of Dusk

11-17-2012

Thanks for the bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asdioh View Post
i dunno if the health scaling is bad, but I definitely agree about the execute part. Your passive suggestion sounds interesting. What I had in mind was something like this:

Chosen of the Storm: Whenever Volibear is struck, he heals 10% of the damage dealt over 3 seconds. In addition, if Volibear falls below 30% health, he gains bonus armor and magic resist for 8 seconds. This additional effect has a 2 minute cooldown.

Something along those lines, obviously numbers are subject to change. What this does:
-keeps a bit of the regeneration aspect of voli
-is actually useful for jungling, as it is a minor form of sustain
-isn't as hard countered by a single ignite, or the Morellonomicon etc.
-still scales with health, as the secondary effect becomes more useful the more health you have, but it doesn't REQUIRE you to stack health like the current volibear has to
-gives you real tank stats when you are in need of them, something volibear currently lacks even though people often call him a tank.

whatcha think?
Healing 10% of damage done is essentially taking 10% less damage, which is very useful but not even close to OP, so yeah I like that. Useful at every stage of the game. Combos very well with Spirit Visage too (which might be core on Voli now with FoN gone, we'll see, I am not a big fan of it though). What I am interested in knowing is if this would be calculated before or after damage reduction like armor. Because if it is calculated before, you'd get some real heavy value out of your tank items.

I'm not sure if gaining tank stats at near death will help much. I'd rather have them at the start of a fight so I don't get instantly killed when trying to initiate that fight. If you're not the initiator (and I really think he shouldn't be for many reasons, but everyone I get matched with insists on it, because they just want to be no-armor ADCs instead of getting a proper tank on the team) then it's perfectly fine, since you don't have to weather that much damage anyway.

The thing is, free tanky stats at the get-go means you can build cheaper items, and if you're the dedicated tank that's what you can afford generally with less murder-gold. A bruiser though, could just see that as having to build one less tank item and get room for one more damage item. Which might be bad, bruisers shouldn't get to deal TONS OF DAMAGE and never risk dying.

But I know one thing for certain. Tricking newbies into tower diving you would be twice as hilarious with this passive. You'd be Blitzcrank with an execute.