Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

10-25-2012

I challenged Volty and Morello to play 10 games as Volibear in a row and enjoy each game gameplaywise.

Let's see how that goes.

A bouncy Furret

10-25-2012

Bump

xSteel

10-25-2012

I hate how buggy his Q is, bump for riot.

Knight of Dusk

10-25-2012

I do hope they do some Volibear playing, I think any extended play of him will make it obvious he needs something more. But I do agree that they might have to cut back on something to give him more. The problem with having a kit like Volibear's that is so all-around, is that if you boost each of those parts into being good, then you have a champion that is good at everything.

I mean, just look at what he has:
AoE CC
Champion displacement
AoE damage
Execute
Movement speed bonus
Attack speed steroid
Damage steroid
Rapid health regenration

He needs a weakness, and currently that is his problem with kiting.

Ryan Matsushima

10-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Arçadius View Post
Heh... Volty started getting involved and things got kinda silly....

"if you don't like being kited though... There are melee to pick that can more consistently engage" -RiotVolty

Let me reword that for you "If you don't like playing a champion we're very ignorantly not going to look at the issues they have, pick someone else! Problem solved"

Sorry Volty but you have to do better than that if you want me to keep loving you.
Morello said he wanted to remove DFG because all AP burst champs were getting it and he didn't want it to be a 'required' item.

lolwut? AP burst champ. Isn't it their job to do a lot of damage at once and wait for CD's? Might as well remove Void and Rabadons while you're at it.

By his logic BT/PD/IE should be removed from the game because every single ADC buys it. I don't think his dumbass realizes there will always be a 'best' item that certain roles will always get.

Rossingol

10-25-2012

Profound sadness. But if we want anything to be done, we need to try to think about this from their perspectives instead of just being mad about it. Some questions that we need to answer.

1. What is it about Volibear that scares them so much?

2. Why is our perspective on this issue so different from theirs? How much of this can be accounted for by our own bias, how much is their misconception, and how much is legitimate?

The problem with a thread like this is that despite the massive outcry of support that we have received, we lack important things like hard data and practical information to back up our thoughts. Comparatively, it may be the case that Morello and Volty know things that they don't feel the need to divulge to us yet. For example, with Season 3 changes on the helm, it is possible that the new masteries will be very good for Volibear.

Has anyone tried to do anything like a stat comparison to skill comparison deal with other popular tops and jungles like Irelia, Darius, Jayce, Riven and Shen/Nocturne, Nunu, Maokai etc?

Knight of Dusk

10-25-2012

1.) I think what they fear the most is that Volibear runs on free damage. That is to say, he can build pure tank and still do damage. If I understand the design behind him, he was meant to be able to work as tank that deals some damage rather than have strong CC or a taunt. Making the job of the team easier by reducing the health of the enemy team, rather than freezing them in place or splitting them up, etc. Thus he only has a mediocre slow but still retains the ability to peel to some degree with his fling.

(I make this assumption based on the base damage and long cooldown of Thunder Claws. It is clearly meant to be used rarely rather than be a constant addition to his DPS. But when it is used it should have an effect on the whole enemy team and do damage even if you don't have any AP or AD built, and it doesn't have the ratios to be abused if you do build for damage, making it clearly meant for rare use by a tank.)

So if they introduce more sensible ratios, they'd have to remove a good chunk of base damage, which would undermine his ability to do some damage even when tanking.
But if they do buff his base damage output, he gets more free damage. If they choose to buff his CC instead, then there is no reason to choose any other tank. Why not pick the one with all the CC who also deals damage too? If they buff his toughness, he gets both free damage and survivability. He wouldn't need items to crush his enemies early on, and when he does buy them, he'd just establish his superiority even more.

Just adressing small things like his stacks falling off, would massively influence counterplaying him. Sadly, frenzy is such a large part of his damage that when you can negate it, you are almost negatig Volibear entirely. And if you can't, well say hello to a ton of damage that doesn't even need damage gear to be great.

I think it's something like that anyway. He's just way too easy to make too good if you don't remake him into something else than what he is.

2.) I think a lot of our concerns are legitimate, but if you look above, he just seems to be much more trouble than he's worth if you're the ones who would have to adress it. I think that we're missing his purpose is also part of it, that of a tank that tanks by doing damage, if I'm correct. To them, we might just seem to be fanboys that want him to do everything rather than be able to take a hit and do a little damage now and again.

---

Yeah we don't have any data to back anything up, so we don't really have any solid proof of any issues. Meaning that we might just be percieved as a bunch of fanboys who want their favorite champion to be the greatest of all time hahaha. I'd love to dig up hard numbers really, but I'd probably be a bit biased in my presentation and selection, plus I don't want to spend that much of my free time on it honestly.

Rossingol

10-25-2012

Valid points. I wish @Volty or @Morello would have actually come to us in this chat though to tell us their thoughts instead of needing people to hound them on twitter.

Yes, it's not very satisfying and they might incite some rage, but having an actual answer and actual communication is always better in the long run.

OxBaker

10-25-2012

As I've said before. RIOT's never going to show the big guy any love. Over 70 pages and not one Red post. sigh...

Knight of Dusk

10-25-2012

Agreed Rossingol, they should come here to talk! Twitter isn't exactly a forum (lol) for discussion. They have the link to this very thread, so why not drop in? D:

Mister Ox, while my brain tells me you're right, my heart wants me to make like an ostrich and stick my head in the ground, and pray that Riot still has the time to care even for champions that aren't the most used.

/Mega sadness.