Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iklo

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthunderz View Post
Thank you I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I do vary my items as to team comp but was just wondering if you heavily favored any of the items listed.

The only one I kinda disagree with is Atma's. I know the crit isn't great but it's not bad. The armor is very nice and at 3k health it adds as much AD as a BF sword. After Warmogs I'm always over 3k and I find the extra damage nice for a relatively low price.
Yup, thats what I used to believe as well. It is def cost efficient, but attack speed is Voli's butter and allows him to duel 2 or 3 opponents and still come out alive because of it. If you think about it, 60ish AD sounds great especially when it comes with armor, but take for instance an attack speed item with Volibear instead of additional AD.

AD gives you what? Additional power when you auto attack.... and thats it. Voli has no AD scaling and his auto attacks are amplified by his ult, making attack speed the greater stat. The more attack speed the more damage you get from your ult which hugely outweighs the benefit of Atmas and the additional AD that comes with it. Attack speed synchs with Voli's w and r which gives him a huge bonus in teamfights and single target dps. This is why Wits or Zephyr is so much more cost effective than an Atmas is mid to late game. For your last item Atmas would be great, but attack speed items should always be your number one priority after a quick Warmogs.

Asdioh

02-23-2013

http://na.lolesports.com/

Teleport smite jungle Volibear being used in tourney. I've always been too afraid to play Voli without flash.
He's 4/0/1 so far ._.

Iklo

02-23-2013

Volibear is being picked more and more in tournaments. Thank god, now people can realize that he is fine and a top teir jungler. GG Volibear keep it up. Maybe the increase in popularity for Volibear will land him a skin!

IS15780dc83872d25e80b86

02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iklo View Post
Volibear is being picked more and more in tournaments. Thank god, now people can realize that he is fine and a top teir jungler. GG Volibear keep it up. Maybe the increase in popularity for Volibear will land him a skin!
A Skin for Volibear would be awesome ! ! !
and as for the Rebalancing the problem with Volibear isn't that he is weak( he got picked 4 out of 4 times in the EUW LCS Week 3), but that he sometimes just feels weak.
Also the Ult can easily be wasted what can lead to a mind set of "its not worth casting yet" through out an extended period of time.

bigthunderz

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iklo View Post
Yup, thats what I used to believe as well. It is def cost efficient, but attack speed is Voli's butter and allows him to duel 2 or 3 opponents and still come out alive because of it. If you think about it, 60ish AD sounds great especially when it comes with armor, but take for instance an attack speed item with Volibear instead of additional AD.

AD gives you what? Additional power when you auto attack.... and thats it. Voli has no AD scaling and his auto attacks are amplified by his ult, making attack speed the greater stat. The more attack speed the more damage you get from your ult which hugely outweighs the benefit of Atmas and the additional AD that comes with it. Attack speed synchs with Voli's w and r which gives him a huge bonus in teamfights and single target dps. This is why Wits or Zephyr is so much more cost effective than an Atmas is mid to late game. For your last item Atmas would be great, but attack speed items should always be your number one priority after a quick Warmogs.
I was looking at other build options for diversity. Do you ever build any of these 3?:

Ohmwrecker
Spirit of the Ancient Golem
Randuin's Omen

They all seem like they could be good options for Volibear.

I like seeing the Volibear play in LCS, lets get a new skin! Darth Volibear with red lightning!

Iklo

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA ReviloO View Post
A Skin for Volibear would be awesome ! ! !
and as for the Rebalancing the problem with Volibear isn't that he is weak( he got picked 4 out of 4 times in the EUW LCS Week 3), but that he sometimes just feels weak.
Also the Ult can easily be wasted what can lead to a mind set of "its not worth casting yet" through out an extended period of time.
This argument is not valid. The point of an ultimate is for it to be used wisely. So your point of the ultimate being wasted is entirely based on the player. The ultimate is fine, but when it is used is a variable that is controlled by the player, thus it takes skill to know when to use your abilities and when not to. The ultimate is not weak nor does it need to be worked upon, it is simply used at improper times which make it seem like it is wasted. The idea that "its not worth casting yet" is based on player inferences and how that individual's playstyle effects their ability usage. Watch pro players in teamfights and it should become clear soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthunderz View Post
I was looking at other build options for diversity. Do you ever build any of these 3?:

Ohmwrecker
Spirit of the Ancient Golem
Randuin's Omen

They all seem like they could be good options for Volibear.

I like seeing the Volibear play in LCS, lets get a new skin! Darth Volibear with red lightning!
Okay, in short, no, no, yes (situational).

Ohmwrecker - This item has been changed to tailor supports and ADCs. There are much better items for Volibear than Ohmwrecker, and besides Voli shrugs off tower shots mid to late game just fine. Sunfire, Warmogs, Randuins, and Locket are much better suited.

SotAG - No, just no. Madreds is much more cost effective than this item. Madreds costs 400 for an upgrade off Machete where as SotAG costs around 1700 more gold. This is a no go. Locket gives more to Volibear than this item and the tenacity can easily come from Zephyr or Merc Treds. You could argue that Spirit Stone is just as much as Madreds and can build into an item such as SotAG to help Volibear mid to late game, but Spirit Stone does not benefit from attack speed, which Volibear has a passive attack speed increase on his w and through runes and masteries which makes Madreds the better choice. All in all, Madreds is better.

Randuins Omen - Yes, in some situations. Great armor, health, and passive. For slow comps I get this instead of Sunfire after Warmogs. Champions such as Ashe or Ez that build Trinity or IBG are easily countered by Randuins. Overall a great pick, but situational.

IS15780dc83872d25e80b86

02-25-2013

Iklo, i never said his Ult was weak and the only part on which i personally waste his ult is when i have to close a gap first(bad timing for casting), what wastes lets say a 1/4 of the 12 seconds(most of the time no biggie), i do "waste" it though when i notice in mid game that i'm about to die and use my ult jsut for 2 or 3 auto attacks at most xD
This part about his Ultimate i spoke about is mostly what i noticed when i read about it this and other threads, though the biggest shout there was about the cast time on his, what i can understand, but it just looks so cool!
as for items( in mostly play him top btw),as full build i usually run against ad heavy teams:
warmogs, sunfire, mercurys, wits, randuins and ga
and against ap heavy team:
warmogs, sunfire, mercurys, wits,bulwark and spirit visage
This are of cousre not the item order but only the final builds i use

Strato5

02-25-2013

bempelemp

Walram Amani

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volty View Post
I've gone through a bit of this thread tonight. You guys, Ursa Arcadius and friends, are raising some great points. I'd like to improve Volibear. The front runner issue for me is to resolve how R's cast time feels bad, because standing still to cast is directly counter to the melee gameplan.

Two possibilities immediately present themselves:

1. Remove the cast time. (Boring but direct.)
2. Make the spell worthy of a cast time. This could be by adding another mechanic, like a material chunk of upfront PBAoE damage. Could even collapse the E into the R as a single (cast-time) spell and make a new E.

Thoughts?

Sorry I haven't had been responsive to this thread. Let's see what we can accomplish together!
That's a terrible idea 'cause one of the biggest advantages is that you can throw them behind you and then do an AoE slow....

TOFalucard

02-25-2013

I so badly want Volibear to be a useful champion but with the latest champions kits being so over the top. He really can't keep up with the times.

I love all of these suggestions you guys are throwing out, especially the range increase and stack decay timer increase on W. Its so frustrating to lose them just as you get a chance to kill your target.

The idea of Q pushing enemy champions aside would make initiation of team fights so much better, since you can get past the cc and tanks, and just toss the carry into your team.

His E needs something more than just range TBH. The slow is okay but i kinda wish the fear could hit champions but not effect them as long as the creeps. So it would be sort of a mini fear that breaks channels and the such.

AP scaling on his kit seems pointless since you build HP, armor, attack speed, and Magic res. Changing them to AD is alright i guess but having them scale off HP or even AS would be a lot better.

Finally his passive needs a rework. I love the storm armor idea since his current passive seems to always trigger and never work fast enough to matter in fights.