Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knight of Dusk

01-18-2013

Just got off the PBE. Damn it, the Annie skin looks amazing, rather, Tibbers does. That could have been Volibear ._.

Iklo

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Dusk View Post
Just got off the PBE. Damn it, the Annie skin looks amazing, rather, Tibbers does. That could have been Volibear ._.
Yeah, makes me mad that Tibbers looks better than Volibear graphics wise. HES NOT EVEN A CHAMPION!

JimMaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Well, truth be told, there are some champions who desperately need more skins other than Volibear.
Karma and Trundle, for example. Though Trundle (and maybe even both of them) is getting a Visual Rework too. So those might only get skins after that.
I'm really more interested in the Remake than the skins. Skins would be awesome, but Volibear needs real "sustained" scaling...
Something that can help him jungle faster without having to burn all his mana/cooldowns and be useless for another minute.

Iklo

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMaru View Post
Well, truth be told, there are some champions who desperately need more skins other than Volibear.
Karma and Trundle, for example. Though Trundle (and maybe even both of them) is getting a Visual Rework too. So those might only get skins after that.
I'm really more interested in the Remake than the skins. Skins would be awesome, but Volibear needs real "sustained" scaling...
Something that can help him jungle faster without having to burn all his mana/cooldowns and be useless for another minute.
100% agree with you. Remake > Skins.

Skins are just a bonus.

?XJ9

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iklo View Post
100% agree with you. Remake > Skins.

Skins are just a bonus.
No remake, Iklo. Explained you before.

Iklo

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?XJ9 View Post
No remake, Iklo. Explained you before.
Lol, buddy, in that sentence I am explaining how I would rather them focus on his changes rather than his appearance. I do not want him changed and remake is a broad term. I have already stated what I want cleaned up. His q bug, his r cast time, and that is it; its not even a buff or nerf its bug fixing.

You really need to relax and stop pointing me out in this situation. I LOVE Volibear because of his feel and kit. We, as a community, NOT JUST ME, have pointed out there are some flaws in his kit that may need to be looked into, but ofc we do not want a total remake because that would screw up his whole kit. Now when I was presenting my ideas it was ideas based on changing his scaling, not his abilities, and I can see how you could get confused on that. Furthermore, as I have said above the only things I want changed in his kit is his bug on his q and his r cast time so we can use it while using q or while chasing an opponent. Now his binary nature is also a problem, but that would take some tweaks to his kit to fix. His scaling tbh isn't a huge problem, but it is unfortunate that only one of his abilities has something that is worth working towards and that is his w. His q has no scaling and is mainly for utility, which is fine, his w is his only burst damage output, and his e has poor enough scaling that it is not worth getting ap for. Building ap on him doesn't do much because of his long cooldowns which limits his damage output. His e base damage is less than many other top lane base damage abilities and they have scaling with ad which helps a little in a duel.

I am simply pointing out the flaws, but lets look at the positives shall we.

1: He is an easy champion that can be picked up by almost any player and perform well with; although practice always helps especially top lane.
2: His passive is what makes him Volibear and is on a shorter cooldown than ignite making it proc twice in one ignite use. So basically if you lose your first duel top, you are most def going to win your second because of his passive proc. Yes, ignite counters his passive, but you could also say that his passive counters ignite with its regen power.
3: His w is also another great thing that contributes to his power in any situation. He is alot like dar in that way, but instead of dar with his ult being able to cast over and over again on kill, Voli is able to use his bite every 18 seconds which is basically like a mini dar ult on a shorter cooldown.
4: His q and e leave him with enough utility in a game to be a monster in close combat.
5: His r is wonderful in teamfights and duels and can rack up some nice damage at the end of a teamfight.

Lets compare Voli which Cho.

Cho

Passive: Sustain over time
Q: utility slow and knock up and damage
W: Silence and damage
E: Extra damage on attacks (good for farming)
R: Nuke execute that scales off ap and turns into true damage, which on anything killled increases his health by a good amount

Voli

Passive: Burst sustain within 6 seconds (better imo if no ignite ofc)
Q: utility knock up/fling plus movement speed boost (better imo)
W: ult level damage in a regular ability which is on a shorter cooldown (pretty much cho's ult without ap scaling, without true damage, and without health increasing stack, however, it does give bonus attack speed on hits)
E: utility slow and damage (only lasts 3 seconds, but is good for duels and clearing)
R: magic damage on basic attacks including q for 12 seconds (now this ability is good and bad because it can deal tons of damage, but Voli is extremely kitable and also mr takes a toll on this ability which could lessen the amount of the damage by alot, but it is still a large amount for a tank over 12 seconds to 5 targets)

Now if we compare the two they are somewhat similar both being good tanks and have excellent utility in both. What we notice is that Cho has shorter cooldowns in his q and w abilities while also having more damage and utility; however (!!!), we can also see that his e is lackluster in his kit, excellent for farming but also a weakpoint in his damage output. Overall, I think Volibear is stronger, he has a little bit longer cooldowns, but his damage potential is much higher if we include his ult. Their passives are also something we should take into account, both give sustain, but Cho is every last hit, and Volibear's is at a critical point, but is much stronger than Cho's at dueling opponents.

What was the purpose of this wall of text? To show you how amazing Volibear really is, but also to point out that maybe he needs a couple tweaks like his q bug or his cast time on his r or his binary nature. We as a community of bears have seen this and are trying to let Riot see it as well. I repeat, I do not want him changed, I want him to be cleaned up.

Pie Kills

01-20-2013

Buffs where

Iklo

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Kills View Post
Buffs where
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volty View Post
I want to also be really clear that this is just a plan for testing---none of this is set in stone or will necessarily see live servers.

But we are making progress!
Read it.

Asdioh

01-20-2013

Quote:
we can also see that his e is lackluster in his kit, excellent for farming but also a weakpoint in his damage output.
Rank 5 Vorpal Spikes damage: 80 (+30% AP)
Rank 1 Thunder Claws: 75 (+30% AP)
One of which is always on and costs no mana. Vorpal Spikes is surprisingly good.

Iklo

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asdioh View Post
Rank 5 Vorpal Spikes damage: 80 (+30% AP)
Rank 1 Thunder Claws: 75 (+30% AP)
One of which is always on and costs no mana. Vorpal Spikes is surprisingly good.
For single target damage yes it is good, but in a teamfight Voli's r wins over because of the bouncing lightning damage. Vorpal Spikes does deal a small amount of AoE, but it requires the target to be behind the target, Voli's doesn't. However, Vorpal Spikes does not last a limited amount of time which you pointed out and gives him extra damage all the time, which Voli's doesn't. Great point though, thank you for pointing out one of my mistakes.