Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iklo

01-07-2013

Bump

basod

01-07-2013

I was a staunch support of Voli but all the points raised are valid. He is underpar and needs retuning.

Knight of Dusk

01-07-2013

Went back and re-read what Volty has posted thus far.

Here's my prediction on what will happen!

-Slow reduction or tenacity, and disabled unit collision added to his Rolling Thunder duration.
-Early sustained damage increased OR gaining passive % bonus damage to creeps.
-Gaining improved AD scaling via new AD ratios and possibly increased AS bonus
-Decreased base damage on Thunder Claws and Majestic Roar.
-Gaining % bonus to resistances on his passive.
-Cast time on Thunder Claws being removed.

My assumptions are that he will get a faster clear, better itemization options, an easier time getting into melee, and primarily be made less binary. The above ought to achieve all that without changing much. Volty did say skills would remain quite recognizable.

What remains unclear to me is if his passive will be tweaked with concern for the prevalent use of ignite or if his performance as a tank is of any concern. We haven't heard anything about that.

Iklo

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Dusk View Post
What remains unclear to me is if his passive will be tweaked with concern for the prevalent use of ignite or if his performance as a tank is of any concern. We haven't heard anything about that.
I hope we hear something soon, I'm dying to know. I like your assumptions on what is going to happen. He shouldn't be buffed in certain places without having other parts of his kit nerfed slightly. I think his jungle clear time is a must have buff for him.

Iklo

01-07-2013

Bump, almost 800 upvotes!

JimMaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2013

If was thinking that if his W healed him if used on minions, similar to Nunu's consume it might make him a better jungler, but I don't think that would make him clear faster, only safer.

I think he will have much less base damage after this "rework", but he will have more and be able to do more counter-play and hopefully better damage scaling.
If his passive gets nerfed I can definitely see him getting passive resistances with his ult, otherwise I doubt it a bit.
I think that if he had lower cooldowns, but less base damage he would be able to trade better early game, but he would blow his mana very easily.

Iklo

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMaru View Post
If was thinking that if his W healed him if used on minions, similar to Nunu's consume it might make him a better jungler, but I don't think that would make him clear faster, only safer.

I think he will have much less base damage after this "rework", but he will have more and be able to do more counter-play and hopefully better damage scaling.
If his passive gets nerfed I can definitely see him getting passive resistances with his ult, otherwise I doubt it a bit.
I think that if he had lower cooldowns, but less base damage he would be able to trade better early game, but he would blow his mana very easily.
Volibear is one of the strongest early game tops in the game. His ability to trade is extremely above average from my experiences. His weakness comes after his cooldowns are used. Once his long cooldowns are recharging is when he has his drop in damage because from then on he is relient on autoattacks. Furthermore, his autoattacks do not hurt for very much unless you pop your ultimate and have an attack speed item in your inventory. His sustainable damage comes from his ult and if it is on cooldown then he usually loses most duels top, which is perfectly fine considering his overall kit.

His jungle is fairly safe as well. His passive allows him to sustain even with health pots and he usually comes out with a good amount of health, BUT his clear time is beyond bad. His jungle clear time is on par with Alistar jungle and Leona jungle, both meant to be supports as their primary role not jungle like Voli... Now, if Volibear had Naut level ganks, which he doesn't then I would understand his slow clear time; however, he has excellent ganks, but no where near as good as Naut. The reality is that he is a safe jungler, like Warwick, but his clear time is horrible beyond belief and that is what makes him a bad jungler during Season 3 and even in Season 2 it disrupted his performance. Now that the jungle has leaned toward a farming more passive jungle his performance is that much unviable because he relies on early ganks to do well and keep up in the jungle. In Season 2 you could build philo and hog to keep up until late game, but now with hog gone and philo nerfed to a support only item it has left Volibear weaker in his already weakened state as a jungler.

SaintDeathscythe

01-08-2013

i'm not sure i'm even qualified to speak bout him since it's been a yr since i started playing lol,he was my first champ btw and is now my main champ. i have a few suggestions on how to fix him up a bit,

1)rolling thunder should start up much soon than before,and d movement speed should increase gradually over a length of time as he chases champions he also ignores unit collison. and the range of d flip should be increased as well.

2)frenzy- should remain just as it is,no changes required.

3)Majestic roar-i really appreciate d recent buff that was given 2 this move it made it a little easier to catch enemy champions. but i really wish that the enemy champions were either stunned or feared. i will really assist in ganks or cc in team fights. however,ap ratio /damage type should be decreased/removed,since in recent times i have seen this move used together with crystal scepter and Liandry's Torment and d damage it does is really insanely op. volibear is not an ap tank. even so,this move can stay as is.

4)thunder claws,the 12 second duration and slow attack speed makes it less viable in s3 than s2 where ionic spark was used in combination with this move 2 increase his damage output,health sustain and overall value and contribution in team fights. my suggestion is that this moves duration lasts longer and applies some sort of debuff that incapacitates d enemy,like a stun or something or passively or actively grants bonus attack speed during d usage of this move up 2 a cap.

these are just some suggestions,but volibear toolkit is really fun use,easy to use and very good as it is right now. volibear is a very good champ,but he is underutilized, underestimated,outclassed and less popular than tanks like shen,malphite,leona,alistar and ammu. i feel that should not be. if we could just tweak his ability to catch up 2 fleeing champs and buff his tookit a bit that will mak him a little more viable. chosen of the storm passive should remain as is,but d cooldown on it should be a little faster. his base magic and armor should be increased.... i do hope he gets so love and some new skins. ty riot for making a very addictive and enjoyable game.

A bouncy Furret

01-08-2013

Bump

Knight of Dusk

01-09-2013

Y'know, the Lunar Revel is coming up. And Volty has started to cook up some special patch sauce for Volibear. It wouldn't be too unlikely for the changes to hit us at the same time as the Lunar Revel.

Furthermore, some have speculated that Volibear might get a skin to coincide with his update, he's in dire need of one after all.

What I'm getting at is, Lunar Revel Volibear skin anyone? :D

I'd love to see a bad ass, wise, old monk type of skin for Voli. Or you know, PANDA Voli.