Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iklo View Post
Bump

Edit: Really, you down vote a bump for a thread that has gotten over 160 pages worth of comments and 13 red posts so far????
That's actually pretty funny. I wonder who did it and why.

Iklo

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Arçadius View Post
That's actually pretty funny. I wonder who did it and why.
I didn't take it as a joke.

Knight of Dusk

01-05-2013

AD Voli 2stronk.

I decided to actually give it a try, skipping Atmogs for other options, and playing him like a tanky assassin. And I'm actually kicking a lot of ass. (Won 10 out of 12 games doing this, but normals isn't the best judge of strength, but it's what I play so it's good enough for me personally)

Sure late game the DPS isn't much, but that's true for all Volibear builds (minus AP I guess, but that's hard to pull off properly). The power of early AD combined with just how much people underestimate Volibear's dueling potential is hilarious.

My core:
Boots of Situation + Brutalizer + Phage + Hexdrinker + Warden's Mail OR Giant's Belt

Then I pick depending on how well I'm doing. Usually health or AS. I built a B.F sword once, but as soon as I closed the shop our foes surrendered. I never got to find out if it was a good decision or not.

Anyone else had success with AD Voli? What do you build? ...Anyone dared to try SotD? In theory it's not that bad, but it's a gamble, with dire consequences if you mess up.

JimMaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

Stacking ARM Pen and health looks to me the easiest way to max Volibear's single target damage.
He actually works well as a Black Cleaver champion too mid game.
Boots + FM + BC as core, then see how much tankier you can get.
ARM Pen + Health Voli is a good Anti-Darius build hahaha.
Hexdrinker is good against bursting your passive since you won't be thaaaat tanky, you can also get Quicksilver Sash and if fed upgrade it to Mercurial against an heavy CC team.
For armor new Omen seems great since it gives a lot of health too.
CDR will also work well on him for multiple W uses, but it's a bit harder to get. Zeke is one possibility.
If enemy still builds heavy on Armor, Last Whisperer can be a good pick.
Problem with BC on Volibear is that he can't stack it on multiple enemies, so you can go for LW instead of BC right away too.

Knight of Dusk

01-06-2013

Yeah ARM pen + health is pretty effective, and BC gives both and then some! Just slap on some AD from elsewhere (FM, Hex, Zephyr, whatever looks good in the current situation) and you're golden.

I've been building towards Omen every game since S3 started, IT IS great. I usually couple it with Iron Solari. The armour is decent, and you get a good bit of health (925 I believe). The actives are just icing on the cake. It's helped me save overambitious teammates more than I can count, and myself when I run in and try getting the angry swarm of enemy champions of our backs.

Asdioh

01-06-2013

I'd forgotten Randuin's gives so much more health now. I'll definitely be building it from now on with voli. Maybe randuins, spirit visage (or wits) and mallet.
Too bad Warmog's has become so invalidated in almost all situations.

Knight of Dusk

01-06-2013

http://www.reignofgaming.net/tier-li...e-for-season-3

Volibear placed in tier 5. Again.

Cool beans.

Hoofster

01-06-2013

I like voli top as a bruiser/initiator.

I pretty much agree with the majority here. Cast time on ulti, overly kited, poor role definition, horribly confusing scaling.

I'm a bit confused by the guy who says to simply walk up to someone and start AAing them. What level of play are people letting you walk into AA range? In my experience even vs a melee top with no range poke, they'll never engage in a 1v1 that's not forced with Q. They'll either farm or wait for gank.

I also disagree that his multiple damage types are an advantage. While early game it puts more pressure vs your lane opponent, come mid and late everyone but the adc (the one you said is ok to not go straight for) will have both armor and mr, with you lacking penetration for either.

I agree that used properly that he's rather strong, but I also agree his kit makes it extremely frustrating to use properly.

5 Guys in a Bush

01-06-2013

Voli was the first champion that i ever bought, and he has been my most played champion by far (i started playing right before he came out). I'll share with you guys what I've done and the takeaways from it.

My prime position for Voli is always top. I've done jungle and support with mixed results but top is where Voli shines. it's always a good feeling knowing that you can get a few kills on an unsuspecting Darius because of Voli's passive.

The OP suggested something about changing his passive to something else. I personally love his passive and is one of the reasons why i have played Voli so much. his sustain is amazing.

As for items, atmogs then FM is always a decent choice. With the new TT and the removal of Warmogs on the map, I started working with frozen mallet more in both 3s and 5s, which seems to be just as viable if not more so than Warmogs.

as far as harassing in lane, I normally wait until their top laner gets just out of position and looks like they least expect in then dive with q, pop e and AA until they have almost ran far enough away and hit W. It's amazing how many times you can catch their top laner out of position if you merely look for it while you're last hitting. Voli's ultimate is also very versatile, letting you push quickly, have decent AOE damage in teamfights, and also a good trick to finish off escapers when minions are around.

While i agree that Voli could have a couple things changed about him (the mechanics of his Q flipping uncontrollably at times, delay of his ult, the speed by which his W goes away), I think that Voli is still an extremely viable champion and i love playing him.

Iklo

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Dusk View Post
I've been building towards Omen every game since S3 started, IT IS great. I usually couple it with Iron Solari. The armour is decent, and you get a good bit of health (925 I believe). The actives are just icing on the cake. It's helped me save overambitious teammates more than I can count, and myself when I run in and try getting the angry swarm of enemy champions of our backs.
This has been helping me alot. I usually get FH instead of Omen if I need the CDR tho. Often, ill get Iron Solari or Spirit Visage in lane and then get boots to counter who is fed on the enemy team. With Solari, Spirit Visage, FH, Warmogs and boots it gives me a great deal of CDR, armor, MR, and HP to make Voli a living hell. Then the last item is situational. I highly recommend to get Iron Solari or Spirit Visage depending on your lane opponent because many starting items for Voli work into both.