Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coach

12-18-2012

I believe the biggest problem to volibear is his inability to build aspeed and hp at once now. No zeke's or ionic spark. The new items on volibear have improved him by making him less kited as easily. The damage output from voli just isn't great enough. His gap closer isn't that great and if he isn't in range he can't bruise or do anything to a carry which kind of makes him useless unless he goes tank. but if he goes tank he has little damage.

currently i jungle him. I've only jungled him in s3 ranked and i'm 2-0. However, i'm only at the 1200 elo where the unviable is viable if you play well. coming from being a 1700 in s2 this isn't a great measure. however every game I have just built pure damage and snowballed off the early game dominance i had from the jungle. I realized that if i hadn't gotten fed off the jungle in the early game. my late game presence would be nothing. I can only build tank to close in on the carries. Warmogs and bulwark are nearly a must. Making me rely on the W for the aspeed passive only. I would like to get more aspeed in and do more damage with my ult but it seems like late game my role is to just go in Q and flip someone away from or to my team.

The problem I also find with voli is his ability to initiate. He seems like an initiator but really isn't. The Q doesn't make him move fast enough to catch up to people most of the time which is fairly frustrating. and late game i find he has little presence in a fight other then sitting there to get hit.

Right now for him to clear the jungle well, he requires a lantern or at least a razor to clear it substantially faster. but you would want the benefits of the spirit of the golem as well. so it isn't really cost efficient.

RandomGuy928

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Personally, I would love it if you improved his jungle, as I really like Voli but I rarely play top lane. I don't really care where he falls in the tank/bruiser/dps spectrum - he's just generally awesome and fun to play.

That said, it would be amazing if you somehow figured out how to make Statikk Shiv a good item for him.

As it is, I have very little experience with him due to how difficult he is to place on a team, especially as a jungler, so I have no real direct feedback to give. Sorry.

A bouncy Furret

12-18-2012

You could always bring back Ionic Spark. Imagine if you took away Ashe's Infinity Edge. Not a good feeling.

Poondar

12-18-2012

Being one of the best volibear players, I just don't like how his late game sucks. Mid game you are tanky and have high damage. Late game he is just a tank with low damage, except for his W bite, which you will probably only use once in the whole teamfight just to semi- finish somebody off. I just hate losing games because Im a fed voli but cant carry.

A bouncy Furret

12-18-2012

If you were to take away his E I'd like to get your thoughts on this potential replacement.

Quote:
Imperative Roar

Volibear shouts words of lightning, sending out a ball of delicious electrical pain (Think Dragonborn for the visuals). All units hit by this roar...

Option one-InitiatorBear: instantly lose 70% of their movement speed but quickly regain the lost speed over 1.5 second
Option two-BruisiBear: are slowed for up to 60% based on how low hp the target is and takes X(+Y bonus AP) magical damage
Option three-TankiBear: are frozen in place for 1 second and deal Z% reduced damage for T seconds

...any minions or monsters caught in this roar are feared for 3 seconds

I believe Voli should go the way of an AP bruiser instead of sometimes 60% physical 15% magical, sometimes 55% magical 30% physical etc depending on the build (notice how these hybrid builds don't add to 100%)

It's also a wonderful homage to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L3DMJB8yGM (and a wonderful skin idea)

Allorim

12-18-2012

I approve this thread

A bouncy Furret

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX Allorim View Post
I approve this thread
There you are. We've been waiting for you to come check this thread out.

Do you have any ideas for Volty?

Allorim

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Arçadius View Post
There you are. We've been waiting for you to come check this thread out.

Do you have any ideas for Volty?
I already posted them but I'll put them here again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX Allorim View Post
Ok, so I saw some of you talk about me on this thread and about how I build Voli and other things. For those of you who don't know me, I'm known for my Volibear play at 2.3k elo.

Anyway. With all my time playing Volibear I've noticed a couple things about him that bug me. I've already mentioned on my stream about the R cast time and how it makes it a hassle to keep up with someone you try to engage on. The buff sounds really nice, upfront damage; instant; still has the chain effect with every auto. All of it sounds great (if not too much really, since he already does so much). Another proposed buff on my stream was 1 more health ratio on his Q. I know a lot of people like the straight tank Volibear build and that's what most people do (not myself though). Because a lot of people like stacking health on Volibear it's making him completely W reliant and nothing else is strong, so putting another ratio on Q would be nice.

When it comes to how I build Volibear he's fine the way he is, my DPS>Tank style works with his current kit and makes him not W reliant (but again the buff sounds great for my style).

I've noticed some people complain about the grievous wounds issue with his passive. I don't really think it's that big of a deal, but to make it easier to stick to a fight without being worried about ignite I say change it so grievous wounds aren't as effective on his passive (sounds a bit OP though).

TL;DR - Volibears W is OP and his Q is UP. Change on R sounds great, if not that then put a health ratio on Q

Edit: Not to mention jungle Volibear is atrocious. Make his E have a DoT on jungle minions.

Edit: Also another proposed buff. Give his ult a passive as well as the active: +health OR every 4th auto procs an Ionic Spark
I also have some other things up in my noggin but I really need to think about them before I say it, so I'll hold off for a bit.

Also to be completely honest, Voli fell off HARD in the S3 changes.

-Nerfed attack speed (might hurt him a bit yah)
-No Ionic Spark (his core item removed, Shiv is garbage on him)
-No HoG (it was a great item to make his W, Passive, and overall lane stronger, there isn't much I like from ruby crystal now, phage is just ok)
-MR items (with the FoN removal getting an MR item that isn't SV or Wit's is awkward)

EDIT: If you have any questions ask away

The Antipop

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volty View Post
A lot of good discussion already! But also a lot of varying points of view.

I agree that understanding our desires for role and lane will be helpful. If you reply I request that you state your preference for lane (e.g. top, jungle, lane support) and role (e.g. tank, fighter, melee dps).

I will consider and do more research tomorrow.
top for sure, i've always felt he was lack luster in jungle

Iklo

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volty View Post
Yeah, totally not committed to dropping the E skill, was just an idea.

Volibear feels workable in either top or jungle right now, or is at least close to it. Solving his scaling / itemization might be all he needs for top to become strong.
Will you keep his mixed scaling or make him pure AP or pure AD?