Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GG Hard

12-05-2012

I'm not a big pro with volibear, but using my past experience jungling as voli I only agree to a change in W where the duration and cooldown would be needed. However, I do not wish for it to scale off of AD, I would like to politely disagree with the passive change, although I haven't play volibear enough to consider the passive to be behind, I still love it the way it is. As for the Ultimate I mainly only use it as a way to clear minion waves and jungle buffs, I would like an AtkSpd boost along with it and maybe increase lightning bouncing, possibly enabling a bounce that can occur to the same target given that it can connect between enemy units.

A bouncy Furret

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakyoom View Post
keep this alive. at least make his stacks last 2-3 seconds longer... SO tired of having executes not work as i cast them.
I plan to keep it alive until he's buffed.

A bouncy Furret

12-06-2012

Bump

Knight of Dusk

12-07-2012

Buuuump.

We aren't getting a Volibear skin for the winter holidays it seems. :'(
Oh well, guess it's better he receives a permanent skin, but it's been a year since he was released now and we haven't gotten anything!

Quite an odd selection for the limited skins actually. Viegar has tons of skins already, Katarina too, Fiddlesticks has a lot of limited skins right now, he needs a permanent skin instead if anything, and Ziggs just got a new skin a few months ago. :S

Moving on, how is everyone doing with Voli now? I've yet to play him on Live since the patch hit. I'll have to get around to it soon. I'm starting to ponder his early counter jungling potential versus lower tier junglers now.

With his passive up and execute you'd think he could easily jump a weak target clearing any of the buff camps (which should be kicking a lot of peoples butts) and win with ease as soon as level 1 with a Frenzy start, 2 if you want to prevent escape with the throw or slow + a cool buff.

But maybe I'm crazy.

Barso55

12-07-2012

i disagree with the passive change

his passive is fine and a lot of play/early dives are build atound it

Iklo

12-07-2012

Just wanted to say thank you to OP for creating a thread for such a great champion that deserves attention.

I haven't jungled with Volibear as of yet, but after watching several high level games I feel like he still isn't very good at it. His clear times are slow, but his ganks are very strong. I have played him top lane many times though and he feels much stronger. I tried several builds with him and I felt that Spirit Visage was a given on him along with Randuin's Omen. Warmogs is certainly stronger, but it isn't a core item on him; Warmog's does significantly increase his tankiness, but many other items including Frozen Mallet, Runic Bulwark, Sunfire Cape, and Randuin's Omen can all do its job as well.

My builds tend to come out something like this:
(order is random depending on my needs, sustain always comes first though)
Merc Treds
Warmog's Armor
Frozen Mallet
Randuin's Omen
Spirit Visage
Situational Item (usually attack speed, additional resistances, Runic Bulwark, Frozen Heart, or GA depending on your team composition)

I enjoy tanky Volibear more than DPS Volibear, but that is my opinion and that is how I build him. DPS items that come to mind include: Wit's End, Sword of the Divine, and Zephyr (because Volibear benefits from attack speed more than additional attack damage).

I experimented with some summoner spells and noticed that heal, barrier, ignite, flash, ghost, and exhaust all work on him fairly well, however, some work much better than others. Heal is primarily a bot lane summoner spell I feel because on Volibear it only benefits him early game in early duels then falls off mid and late game significantly. Ignite is still strong on him combined with his ult. Exhaust is fairly strong on him too if used at the right time; usually I would exhaust my challenger when my passive proced and would then turn the tide of the battle in my favor, very effective. I still enjoy flash over ghost on him because it has several uses that ghost simply cannot offer Volibear, just seems stronger in my opinion (ghost is still viable of course). Finally, barrier surprised me greatly because of its early, mid, and late game strength. This spell scales well into late game and still has strength early game, the only downside is that the shield only lasts for 2 seconds which means it is a "skilled timing" summoner spell. This simply means you have to estimate when your challenger is going to use their combo. In addition, you must know your challenger's combo to know when their damage is highest and when to use barrier. I found this spell to be extremely powerful if used correctly; it has the potential to completely mitigate a champion's combo early game and make you win a duel easily.

I enjoy Barrier/Flash for my play style.

Just my two cents on a champion that I loved from the day he was released.

Iklo

12-07-2012

Bump for 2v1 tower diving a Volibear.

A couple seconds later...

"DOUBLE KILL!"

A bouncy Furret

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iklo View Post
Just wanted to say thank you to OP for creating a thread for such a great champion that deserves attention.

I haven't jungled with Volibear as of yet, but after watching several high level games I feel like he still isn't very good at it. His clear times are slow, but his ganks are very strong. I have played him top lane many times though and he feels much stronger. I tried several builds with him and I felt that Spirit Visage was a given on him along with Randuin's Omen. Warmogs is certainly stronger, but it isn't a core item on him; Warmog's does significantly increase his tankiness, but many other items including Frozen Mallet, Runic Bulwark, Sunfire Cape, and Randuin's Omen can all do its job as well.

My builds tend to come out something like this:
(order is random depending on my needs, sustain always comes first though)
Merc Treds
Warmog's Armor
Frozen Mallet
Randuin's Omen
Spirit Visage
Situational Item (usually attack speed, additional resistances, Runic Bulwark, Frozen Heart, or GA depending on your team composition)

I enjoy tanky Volibear more than DPS Volibear, but that is my opinion and that is how I build him. DPS items that come to mind include: Wit's End, Sword of the Divine, and Zephyr (because Volibear benefits from attack speed more than additional attack damage).

I experimented with some summoner spells and noticed that heal, barrier, ignite, flash, ghost, and exhaust all work on him fairly well, however, some work much better than others. Heal is primarily a bot lane summoner spell I feel because on Volibear it only benefits him early game in early duels then falls off mid and late game significantly. Ignite is still strong on him combined with his ult. Exhaust is fairly strong on him too if used at the right time; usually I would exhaust my challenger when my passive proced and would then turn the tide of the battle in my favor, very effective. I still enjoy flash over ghost on him because it has several uses that ghost simply cannot offer Volibear, just seems stronger in my opinion (ghost is still viable of course). Finally, barrier surprised me greatly because of its early, mid, and late game strength. This spell scales well into late game and still has strength early game, the only downside is that the shield only lasts for 2 seconds which means it is a "skilled timing" summoner spell. This simply means you have to estimate when your challenger is going to use their combo. In addition, you must know your challenger's combo to know when their damage is highest and when to use barrier. I found this spell to be extremely powerful if used correctly; it has the potential to completely mitigate a champion's combo early game and make you win a duel easily.

I enjoy Barrier/Flash for my play style.

Just my two cents on a champion that I loved from the day he was released.
I haven't had time to experiment with things yet.

I just finished an exam block and some old friends started playing again so when I've played I haven't been able to Experimentibear but hopefully soon!

These items seem beary strong on him but I just worry about his early game.

A bouncy Furret

12-07-2012

Bump

Iklo

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Arçadius View Post
I haven't had time to experiment with things yet.

I just finished an exam block and some old friends started playing again so when I've played I haven't been able to Experimentibear but hopefully soon!

These items seem beary strong on him but I just worry about his early game.
Hello sir, nice to hear from a fellow bear :P. I have noticed that his early game is a lil bit lacking. Hardly noticable if you go tanky masteries with attack speed runes. Wait until around lvl 4 to start being aggressive. Early on he is beat because he doesn't have all of his cooldowns, but once 4 hits, hes very strong.

After I've finished my opponent off with the mercy of my w I recall to get sustain and health usually getting a rejuv bead and a ruby crystal. If I haven't purchased my boots yet because I started cloth/5 then I will buy boots on my first trip instead of the ruby crystal.