Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

11-22-2012

Bop

A bouncy Furret

11-22-2012

Bep

Knight of Dusk

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Arçadius View Post
Have you tried new Guinsoo's on him? Maybe a build based around early tanky CDR with a Guinsoo's into bulky AP late game?

I could see that working, hell that could be quite strong on him.

But I'm still in disbelief that someone actually pledged $10,000 for Rob's kickstarter.... It's just amazing.
Hmm, you're right, I shall test this when I can. The kickstarter is looking good, out of the five most expensive options four are sold out :O

Knight of Dusk

11-22-2012

Ooph. Did the testing. My first attempt I just did what felt natural, and at first Guinsoo's was really nice! But things went bad quickly. Not enough AD to make an impact, and I wasn't building AP fast enough to make it useful for my DPS.

Not one to be discouraged by failure, I went back, and built a Brutalizer. Which gave me both CDR and extra AD and arm. pen. which made Guinsoo's usefulness last longer. I should note that the Brutalizer should be sold for some AP source with CDR if the game lasts long enough and not be upgraded EVER, and after that, trade Guinsoo's last for whatever AP item you think would give you the most use at that point. Basically, I see both of these items as expendable enablers that let you slowly build into an AP build as the game goes on by carrying you through and into mid game. And their replacement items should be the only ones you consider purely for more AP, otherwise, just shoot for tanky items, if possible, with some AP, but never choose an AP item with some tanky stats when what you really need is as much defence as possible.

For more CDR so I can use my AP skills more often, I get Glacial Shroud early on. It's great because you can build it into the new Ice Fist thing which gives you a sheen proc and the CDR to let you use it effectively AND since you have armor pen from Brutalizer, it becomes even more hard hitting. And it gives you some AP too. It's an amazing thing. On the other hand, if the enemy ADC is fed, you can build it into a Frozen Heart. I love Glacial Shroud so much now, it's just a glorious little thing for Bruisers.

It's important to view AP as a luxury on this build despite it being an AP build. I can not stress this enough. If you get Brutalizer + Ice Fist, that's enough damage to manage and you shouldn't feel bad if you have to build purely defensive items for the rest of the game after that.

But if you do come across a good amount of AP, you can really destroy people with Thunder Claws. Especially if you can weave in a few Sheen procs if you got the Ice Fist instead of Frozen Heart. (getting both eventually is a good goal though)

I feel like this is a good build, and I might actually end up using it on Live when S3 hits (in Top Lane, maybe as support too with a few alterations, but Tiamat builds are better if you're going to farm the jungle IMO).

And as always, take what I say with a grain of salt.

My current AP build for Volibear:

Start:
Clothing and 5 red sodas.

Early game:
Upgrade Cloth Armour to Emblem of Valor, pick up Boots of Speed, Brutalizer, Pick Axe

Mid game:
Upgrade to Aegis, Mercs and Guinsoo's, pick up a Glacial Shroud

Various late game options:
Upgrade GS to Ice Fist for vastly improved DPS, or Frozen Heart for armour, or get both!
Rylai's Crystal Scepter or Liandry's Torment for health and DPS, both for Tons of Damage
Upgrade Aegis to Runic Bulwark (this item is amazing I'm telling you)
Abyssal Scepter for MR and DPS

Asdioh

11-22-2012

Spirit Visage gives 15% CDR now, it seems like it's close to being a must-buy on voli, especially with the improved passive. 20% instead of 15% right?

A bouncy Furret

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Dusk View Post
Ooph. Did the testing. My first attempt I just did what felt natural, and at first Guinsoo's was really nice! But things went bad quickly. Not enough AD to make an impact, and I wasn't building AP fast enough to make it useful for my DPS.

Not one to be discouraged by failure, I went back, and built a Brutalizer. Which gave me both CDR and extra AD and arm. pen. which made Guinsoo's usefulness last longer. I should note that the Brutalizer should be sold for some AP source with CDR if the game lasts long enough and not be upgraded EVER, and after that, trade Guinsoo's last for whatever AP item you think would give you the most use at that point. Basically, I see both of these items as expendable enablers that let you slowly build into an AP build as the game goes on by carrying you through and into mid game. And their replacement items should be the only ones you consider purely for more AP, otherwise, just shoot for tanky items, if possible, with some AP, but never choose an AP item with some tanky stats when what you really need is as much defence as possible.

For more CDR so I can use my AP skills more often, I get Glacial Shroud early on. It's great because you can build it into the new Ice Fist thing which gives you a sheen proc and the CDR to let you use it effectively AND since you have armor pen from Brutalizer, it becomes even more hard hitting. And it gives you some AP too. It's an amazing thing. On the other hand, if the enemy ADC is fed, you can build it into a Frozen Heart. I love Glacial Shroud so much now, it's just a glorious little thing for Bruisers.

It's important to view AP as a luxury on this build despite it being an AP build. I can not stress this enough. If you get Brutalizer + Ice Fist, that's enough damage to manage and you shouldn't feel bad if you have to build purely defensive items for the rest of the game after that.

But if you do come across a good amount of AP, you can really destroy people with Thunder Claws. Especially if you can weave in a few Sheen procs if you got the Ice Fist instead of Frozen Heart. (getting both eventually is a good goal though)

I feel like this is a good build, and I might actually end up using it on Live when S3 hits (in Top Lane, maybe as support too with a few alterations, but Tiamat builds are better if you're going to farm the jungle IMO).

And as always, take what I say with a grain of salt.

My current AP build for Volibear:

Start:
Clothing and 5 red sodas.

Early game:
Upgrade Cloth Armour to Emblem of Valor, pick up Boots of Speed, Brutalizer, Pick Axe

Mid game:
Upgrade to Aegis, Mercs and Guinsoo's, pick up a Glacial Shroud

Various late game options:
Upgrade GS to Ice Fist for vastly improved DPS, or Frozen Heart for armour, or get both!
Rylai's Crystal Scepter or Liandry's Torment for health and DPS, both for Tons of Damage
Upgrade Aegis to Runic Bulwark (this item is amazing I'm telling you)
Abyssal Scepter for MR and DPS
Hmmm... I wonder if Riot will ever make Volibear a dual penetration item that wont be super OP on Jax/Akali/Kayle...

A bouncy Furret

11-22-2012

Bump

Knight of Dusk

11-23-2012

@Asdioh: Yup yup. It's looking like a core option on him, if you need a FoN replacement in your build, that's the undeniably best choice you have.

@Ursa: I know right. Which is partly why I like Storm Armour as a possible new passive. Giving that thing shredding was a really good idea!

A bouncy Furret

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Dusk View Post
@Asdioh: Yup yup. It's looking like a core option on him, if you need a FoN replacement in your build, that's the undeniably best choice you have.

@Ursa: I know right. Which is partly why I like Storm Armour as a possible new passive. Giving that thing shredding was a really good idea!
I drooled over the changed Spirit Visage :3.

Stop giving me credit for your wonderful idea. All I did was make it compliment his kit :F

A bouncy Furret

11-23-2012

Bump