Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

Senior Member

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by choms View Post
As volibear was my first champion and the only one that I mained.


I support this thread.
Thank you kindly sir.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

Senior Member

11-21-2012

Bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knight of Dusk

Senior Member

11-21-2012

BUMP!

Played some more Voli on PBE last night. Black Cleaver seems pretty good with Tiamat. A lot of Voli's kit is magical so I wouldn't call it an optimal build on him, but Frenzy does benefit from the shredding. So that's pretty tasty. Tiamat also means your shredding becomes an AoE, so even if you don't become a fluffy wrecking ball of damage your team will always love it, and you for building it! Hopefully.

And since I feel it's important, you can still build Volibear the old way! It's just not as good as it was. Decent replacements for FoN are SV and the new Runic Bulwark. Ionic Sparker can be replaced by Statikk Shiv, it works, but since you don't really build around critical damage you won't make use of it fully, so it's not really worth the gold, but you can still do it if you want to.

I am unsure if a tanky AP build would work out. Late game with a full build? Sure. But getting there is the problem, since you won't make much use of the AP until you can spam E and R after getting high CDR, and even then your ratios are what they are. Lich Bane losing the MR also takes it out as a possible DPS/Burst boost now since you can really only build AP items with good defences or you'll be too squishy


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

Senior Member

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Dusk View Post
BUMP!

Played some more Voli on PBE last night. Black Cleaver seems pretty good with Tiamat. A lot of Voli's kit is magical so I wouldn't call it an optimal build on him, but Frenzy does benefit from the shredding. So that's pretty tasty. Tiamat also means your shredding becomes an AoE, so even if you don't become a fluffy wrecking ball of damage your team will always love it, and you for building it! Hopefully.

And since I feel it's important, you can still build Volibear the old way! It's just not as good as it was. Decent replacements for FoN are SV and the new Runic Bulwark. Ionic Sparker can be replaced by Statikk Shiv, it works, but since you don't really build around critical damage you won't make use of it fully, so it's not really worth the gold, but you can still do it if you want to.

I am unsure if a tanky AP build would work out. Late game with a full build? Sure. But getting there is the problem, since you won't make much use of the AP until you can spam E and R after getting high CDR, and even then your ratios are what they are. Lich Bane losing the MR also takes it out as a possible DPS/Burst boost now since you can really only build AP items with good defences or you'll be too squishy
Things sound grim


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knight of Dusk

Senior Member

11-21-2012

Oh he is fine for the most part. Being able to spec more into anti-CC now helps him a lot. It's just that a lot of what I find works for him works a bit better on other champions with better or more scaling. Or in the case of the Black Cleaver, their damage is all or mostly physical, so they get more benefit from it.

But at the same time, take AD builds. The enemy is stacking armour. Your team builds armour pen. You do less physical damage so you don't get as much benefit on that front. Buuut you also have a massive magic damage on-hit steroid. I'd like to see their armour reduce the damage of that! Hybrid damage can be a good thing.

The poor/weird scaling on the other hand, there is little in the manner of a silver lining to.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

Senior Member

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Dusk View Post
Oh he is fine for the most part. Being able to spec more into anti-CC now helps him a lot. It's just that a lot of what I find works for him works a bit better on other champions with better or more scaling. Or in the case of the Black Cleaver, their damage is all or mostly physical, so they get more benefit from it.

But at the same time, take AD builds. The enemy is stacking armour. Your team builds armour pen. You do less physical damage so you don't get as much benefit on that front. Buuut you also have a massive magic damage on-hit steroid. I'd like to see their armour reduce the damage of that! Hybrid damage can be a good thing.

The poor/weird scaling on the other hand, there is little in the manner of a silver lining to.
Have you tried new Guinsoo's on him? Maybe a build based around early tanky CDR with a Guinsoo's into bulky AP late game?

I could see that working, hell that could be quite strong on him.

But I'm still in disbelief that someone actually pledged $10,000 for Rob's kickstarter.... It's just amazing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asdioh

Senior Member

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Dusk View Post
It's just that a lot of what I find works for him works a bit better on other champions with better or more scaling.
This is his problem, now and forever, until they balance him in a way that makes it so they're not afraid of him getting damage by building HP and stuff, therefore becoming an unkillable monster that will get whined about on the forums :/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

Senior Member

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asdioh View Post
This is his problem, now and forever, until they balance him in a way that makes it so they're not afraid of him getting damage by building HP and stuff, therefore becoming an unkillable monster that will get whined about on the forums :/
To be fair, health = damage is a really awful mechanic.

And HP on Volibear is 30% more effective because of his passive in terms of survival. He's an abuse case in terms of health stacking. Which is kinda bad design. I think they could find a way to balance it but it would be really hard.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

Senior Member

11-21-2012

Bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

Senior Member

11-21-2012

Bemp