How do you rise in ELO without using an OP champ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

deathTOeXistenZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-05-2012

It does seem really hard to get a win anymore. I think you need to duo once you reach a certain point.

ShawNuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-05-2012

I don't think I need to reiterate this, but you don't need to duo to get to high elo. You simply have to be good at the game. Plenty of high elo players solo queue with great success. Even Sauron, at his 2700 elo, solo queues for the majority of his games.

DramaticBear

06-05-2012

I played Xin/Nunu almost exclusively to 2000. There were some brief intervals of Jarvan and Nocturne though.

Melvear

06-05-2012

I play a lot of Nocturne lately and I'm both having fun and am winning most of my games (I have 18 recorded games with him on lolmatches with a 71% win rate). He's a fairly uncommon pick (at least at my elo) and people don't seem to understand how to deal with him or what he's capable of, giving you a good edge if you yourself know what you're capable of and what the champion you're facing is capable of.

I also find that playing bottom lane helps you win game. For one thing, you can actually make the conscious decision of playing defensively and not lose your lane if you find yourself in an unfavorable matchup, or to play aggressively to kill and get their bot in a favorable matchup.
In both scenario, your team at least has bottom under control and doesn't *need* to send people to help you and can therefore focus on their own thing (be it windmill, back capping mid or ganking bot while pressuring top)
This does not mean that your team will win though. Sometimes people don't adapt and keep attacking top despite constantly losing up there, or just don't build to counter the enemy. There's little to do in these cases except trying to direct them as best as you can (politely, can't stress that enough. *****ing and whining will never get you good reactions)

One thing is for sure, Dominion is no more chaotic than SR or TT. The pace is faster, which may lead to this impression, but there is a lot more to it than running around trying to cap towers randomly and killing people everywhere. You just need to see the opportunities, just like in the other game modes.