Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How do you rise in ELO without using an OP champ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

R00ler

06-04-2012

lol, I just looked you up on lolmatches.com (http://lolmatches.com), looks like 6\4 was not kind to you. You need to duo queue to go higher, you won't get any worthy advice from this forum. When you go solo queue you really roll the dice.

Shaxtenn

06-04-2012

You don't need to play ban-tier broken champions to do well.

You will have a disadvantage playing AGAINST them, and this will be frustrating. Yorick is broken, so if you aren't wrecking his **** with Poppy or whoever, the game will be unfair, and that is innately frustrating if you can't laugh it off.

But every single champion is capable of victory on Dominion. With the right build, in the right team comp, any champion can be an asset to their team (not just get carried).

The crucial point is that whoever you play, you need to play them well.

Figure out strong builds. Figure out skill orders and playstyles. Learn which lane matchups you can handle. Practise.

Practise. Play 5 games in a row with the champion. 100% guaranteed you will notice yourself improve by the end. Don't get discouraged after a single loss and move on to another champion. Now play them a whole bunch more. Try different builds each time, if only to learn that they don't work. Learn from experiences in different situations. After a little while you'll be able to play a really killer Janna that can take down Urgots and Pantheons.

Pick champions that fit your team. If your team has locked in champions with no range, no hard CC, and no AD, do you mindlessly pick Mordekaiser because you feel like playing him, or do you play someone like AD TF or AD Kennen? Some games are lost in champion select, which becomes demoralisingly clear after you get outranged at the Windmill and lose it decisively, so if you can prevent that from happening by picking a champ that fills your team's gaps, you're a step closer to winning.

To a large extent you cannot carry a game of Dominion single-handed. You can't compensate for ALL your team's mistakes. It's a team game, so you need a team effort to win. But you can do your best. And you can lead by example: be aware, don't make silly mistakes like tunnel visioning on a low health target and running into suicidal situations for a kill. Don't overextend to push mid lane if the enemy is respawning. Don't try to ambush a team with Eve in the jungle. And use retreat pings to tell your team what you're doing.

ShawNuff

06-04-2012

Quote:
R00ler:
lol, I just looked you up on lolmatches.com (http://lolmatches.com), looks like 6\4 was not kind to you. You need to duo queue to go higher, you won't get any worthy advice from this forum. When you go solo queue you really roll the dice.

not true at all. Asinglehat solo queues almost exclusively, and he has a huge winrate over his latest 20 or 30 games. Point being, if you belong in a higher elo, you will win your way into it. From my own experience, sometimes my duo queue partners are harder to carry than the randoms.

MyDeadGrandma

06-04-2012

Quote:
ShawNuff:
From my own experience, sometimes my duo queue partners are harder to carry than the randoms.

Oh god this is so true.

ShawNuff

06-04-2012

Quote:
MyDeadGrandma:
Oh god this is so true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-StowFeeoog

DiscworldDeath

06-04-2012

Quote:
MyDeadGrandma:
Oh god this is so true.

The best bonus about playing with people you know, even if they are often horrible, is that you should rely on them at least not raging and being asses.

I'd rather lose a game I should've won than see flaming and incessant bickering.

Scyhn

06-05-2012

It depends. I had great results using one champion over and over (AP shaco). The first 4 or 5 games i sucked. Then i started to see what roll i could fill, what were my limits. what build had more positive results. Then, i started to see more clearly what my team was capable of and try to compensate their mistakes.
The only thing i can assure is that being an ******* doesn't help. Sometimes is difficult to resist the urge to say "What the **** are you doing stupid ****!"...but try your best not to. Be polite with your teamates and try to teach them instead of telling they can go **** each other.

CommodoreSkippy

06-05-2012

I'm trying, good god am I trying, but I think I'm stuck at 1600.

I'd love to get higher. I have a TON of games where I personally do very well, but either one extraordinarily bad player loses us the game, or the opposing team overall is better than our average.

With much shorter respawn timers, it's significantly harder to carry an entire team than in SR. You can't make a wild all out offensive to brutalize a lane/inhibitors/Nexus during an ace or go get baron and seal a straight up advantage. Winning will still take time, because that's just how Dominion is.

And really, I'm THRILLED that's the case here. Unstoppable 1 man carries makes the game way more boring for the other 9 players. I'm just saying this because the only thing more frustrating than sucking is knowing that despite tryharding my tryhardiest and kicking ass, nothing I could do could get me a victory, or even any sort of reward for doing well.

Isysar

06-05-2012

Quote:
PurpIe Reign:
By playing the next not-as-op-but-still-op champion.

Welcome to Dominion

Isysar

06-05-2012

Quote:
Levgre:
Meh I'm about to give up on Dominion. Tons of bad players + tons of OP champs just makes it a random **** fest.

I'd give up personally. (Matter of fact, I did 3.5 months ago).

Or strictly play custom dominion games arranged through dominatedominion.com or with friends you know are good, but that takes considerable time.

Dominion at present imo is a failure. If they balanced it, I'd play it all the time. But is seems that there just aren't enough people playing it to be worth Riot's while anymore.