How do you rise in ELO without using an OP champ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Levgre

06-03-2012

I don't care about the ELO itself, but I wanted to get to a higher ELO for a different playstyle. At 1800-1900 it is still infested with people who just make obvious, bad mistakes and do not play as a team. I'm going to have less carrying potential than an opposing skilled Darius/Jax/Poppy etc., simply because of the limitations of my champ. I have been pointing out players' mistakes (like running in 3v1 instead of defending bot, chasing kite champions from top to enemy side), but it gets tiresome leading people around.

I guess the only way is to pick a carry champ, either like Jax, or a bottom carry like Yorick/Malz?

K J

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-03-2012

Unless you're playing with and against organized teams you're going to see that a lot. Even the "pro" players tend to make obvious mistakes

DiscworldDeath

06-03-2012

If you play better than most players in the game, you'll usually rise up, it'll just take longer if your champion can't carry your plans out. Tanks also work well for these things.

Also, people make blatant mistakes, and blame you for doing things they think are mistakes but aren't, even when they reach 2.4k Elo.

Elo is not really skill, though there is some correlation. Don't sweat it that much.

I really mean it, sometimes 1,600 players who end in my games make the right calls, and lots of 2k Elo players just keep banging their head against a 4 man enemy team sitting on windmill with Heimer, though enemy team has poke and ours doesn't. Happens.

zionist shill

06-03-2012

By playing the next not-as-op-but-still-op champion.

Xavderion

06-03-2012

Impossible for me. I play OP champs almost exclusively and still can't get better than 1600 elo. I guess I'm just bad.

Levgre

06-04-2012

Meh I'm about to give up on Dominion. Tons of bad players + tons of OP champs just makes it a random **** fest.

FDru

06-04-2012

One of the best players out there plays mostly Sejuani, and basically carries every game. I would say get good with the champ you like and not worry about what's OP.

Sauron

06-04-2012

You don't really have to worry terribly much about your picks or your mains. There's only a few champions that I would deem unviable, and even then they have something, somewhere to contribute. It boils down to team fights, because you do have the option to not commit to 1v1's if you choose a champion that isn't good for that.

Believe it or not, a support or tank champ is going to be your best bet for rising in Elo. A knowledgeable and experienced support player makes a tremendous difference in team fights and can hold capture points for a long time, allowing a lagging team to catch back up. Even inexperienced carries will take advantage of opportunities you open up for them.

Levgre

06-04-2012

I could see support being strong, of course the power level of Lulu and Janna are very high. For holding points, while it does make a difference if you are still losing team battles, delaying 3 enemies for a bit won't change the game.

One of the biggest problems is people simply won't adjust their plans. If the enemy has 3 on point on top and we have a comp not the best at taking points, we can very easily take bot. Every time they listen it works. But sometimes they just won't listen. People want to play mindlessly.

Aparkhurst

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2012

Pick a champion that never gets old to you, and play it 100 games in a row.
The idea of playing the same champ over and over allows two things to happen.
The first thing is that you get better at that champion.
The second thing is that you can focus more on learning how Dominion works more than how your "flavor of the week" champion works.