Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Give your life for the team, or wait for a better opportunity?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shoopman

06-03-2012

I've recently taken a liking do Dominion and I was wondering if the good players could weigh in on something here. Let's say you are going to dive the enemy team on their point. Is it best for me (Blitzcrank) to dive in, take turret aggro/disrupt them/do damage and then die while my team cleans up and takes the point, or is it better to wait for a better opportunity so nobody has to die? I'm always first in line for the suicide mission because Blitz can lock people down for a long time and people like to focus me for some reason allowing the rest of my team to beat them down easily. I realize that the answer to this question relies on the time of the game that the situation arises in. I'd never do it if the game was very close and one death could throw it, unless my revive was up. I feel like the trade is usually justified because my team usually comes out ahead in kills and in points because I dive when the other team is outnumbered. Any recommendations on when and when not to give your life for the greater good? I'm asking mostly because my elo is getting higher and I know that eventually people are going to be smart enough not to focus the tank and instead kill my damage dealers and then me, resulting in a losing fight.

Volandum

06-03-2012

Well if you're blitzcrank you're not like other initiator tanks because your initiation pulls people off the point. If you miss and you have to go in and the enemy is outnumbered you may just be able to chase people off the point and zone them while your team caps it.

Do you have garrison? As a tank it's invaluable for defending or offending.

CannonFodder4Hyr

06-04-2012

main thing thats important when tower diving if youre worried about the towers damage is to rotate snagging it. If you initiate, pull some damage, then back off and take your turn holding the tower while your teammates then move in and finish off the enemies.

Thats an ideal but it can be tricky for teammates to get it sometimes.

the martyr bonus makes it sort of cool to die for the cause, but you have to be careful. Even with abundant gold, the guys getting kills do build even faster and you can quickly find yourselves outgunned and no longer able to control or cap points, thats bad.

Sauron

06-04-2012

Its best to have Garrison, but not use it right away. Rotate a few caps before throwing it off, ignore the turret until its almost down, and go back to rotating like normal. Its generally the lowest health person's duty to stop the turret from firing when the team is fighting under it, but if everyone is of roughly equal health then you'll want the tanks or the people furthest back to hold it.

If you're the last one alive and you have the choice of dying or retreating, it really depends on how long you'll delay them from doing anything to the point. If the rest of your team isn't already on their way back, its probably best to harass once or twice and then abandon the point.

Shoopman

06-04-2012

The Dominion board never ceases to make me feel stupid. Rotating capping is a great idea, I'll let my friends know about it. Problem is we queue as 3 and get 2 pubs who are generally competent but sometimes questionable, so that may not always be an option. Good advice though, much appreciated.

I'm still torn on summoners between garison, exhaust, and revive. I like to bait their damage dealersto 1v1 me and die with my exhaust and mana shield, but I feel like garrison will help the team more and revive is for sealing the deal in clutch moments. I'll have to adjust my playstyle if I don't have exhaust but if it means getting better I'll try it.

Redenbacher

06-04-2012

If I'm playing a tank like Maokai, Alistar, Malphite, or even Blitz, I'll take Revive + Garrison. Basically, any champ that is good at holding a point down while on top of it can make fantastic use of Improved Garrison.

If I'm playing any kind of AD or AP 'carry', I'll take Revive + Exhaust, mainly to mitigate gap-closers.

If I'm playing an Assassin, I'll take Revive + Ignite.

Wolfalisk

06-04-2012

Quote:
Volandum:
As a tank it's invaluable for defending or offending.

Blitzcrank is not a tank.