What is the purpose of the critter mobs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reaves

10-29-2009

New player here. There was no new player section so posting here on strategy since it seems the best place. Just got the game and started playing last night. Played roughly 6 games against the comp (yes how carebear of me however there is no way i am jumping into a game this intense without understanding the mechanics and one of the issues I have found is everytime I go after the critters I lose the level fight with the rest of the comps.

it takes a long time to kill the criters early on to what seems little reward compared to diving into a scrum with your minions. I know some of the critters give you buffs but they are not that great compared to the levels you fall behind and gold you miss out on from driving minions. please note i have never played dota either, so from reading on this forum i am a true blue newb.

thoughts on this would help me understand the flow of the game and where i would focus if jumping into a team game.

Tarion

10-29-2009

If you mean the enemy in the forested areas (Frequently referred to as the "Jungle") there are various reasons for going after them.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=20929

That's a good read.

To summarize though, outside of the ones with the buffs (Which can turn team-fights completely) and the Dragon (Which provides Gold and XP for the entire team) the rest of the jungle is primarily not useful in Bot Games. It shows it worth when there are 5 players on each team.

By leveling in the Jungle, you're allowing another member of your team to claim a solo lane, meaning they'll have better experience.

Reaves

10-29-2009

Thanks! I read the Jungle thread I guess I just need to play in a team for it. It just seems the cost/reward mechanic for the jungle is off. You get higher gold, fine. But the level difference you get into is HUGE. I was finding myself 5 levels behind my peers and the enemy.

Tarion

10-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaves View Post
Thanks! I read the Jungle thread I guess I just need to play in a team for it. It just seems the cost/reward mechanic for the jungle is off. You get higher gold, fine. But the level difference you get into is HUGE. I was finding myself 5 levels behind my peers and the enemy.
Some characters do it better than others. Smite also makes a rather large difference.

Cyatomorrow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2009

The reason you're getting behind from the bots are that you get more experience from soloing a lane than from jungling. Keep in mind that this isn't always the case when you're sharing the lane with another hero (you share some exp).

Jungling is quite viable: A good jungling character can keep up with the other characters, but the main advantage is that you have two heroes soloing lanes and getting ahead of the enemy team's average level.

The other major advantage of jungling is that the other team will often have difficulty keeping track of you, which means they'll play more defensively or risk getting ganked.