Can someone explain AP yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CannonFodder4Hyr

06-02-2012

Not trying to be a wise-ass, I see how much respect he gets, especially those claiming he gets it in tourneys and ranked (not saying thats not the case, but I'm not one of them so I wont go claiming it myself.)

I normally play an AS/AD glass cannon build, so looking at an AP yi is weird for me not just in build, but in playstyle.

When playing AP yi- youre basically buffing only your Q and W, correct? Meaning the battle plan is to then what, launch with an overloaded Q and then once in the midst of the enemy pop your W while your team unloads, then pop another Q to finish people off?

Thanks for any input on this, cheers.

Thelohel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2012

I don't think I've ever seen one played well enough to suggest it. Yi in general feels a bit weak on dominion given how easy he is to counter. I am certain there are some players who play him quite well and I'm not saying hes no competitively viable but all the AP Yi's I've seen have done little more than distract people while they heal and then run off.

inFe eD

06-02-2012

It's intended as a bot laner. Clear waves with q while harassing at the same time, all while having infinite sustain with w. Easily wins many matchups if played well, although there are hard counters.

Alex Dude

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2012

don't get stunned

gg them

Shaxtenn

06-02-2012

You're only buffing Alpha Strike and Meditate with AP. Although Wuju Style still gives you a surprisingly high amount of AD, which can help you finish people.

The idea is to abuse Alpha Strike's attack pattern. It will hit three additional units near your target, but you will arrive at the location of your target. There are three minions in a wave. Wait for the enemy champion to walk near the wave, Alpha Strike a minion, damaging the enemy champion, but depositing you at the location of the minion and away from the champion. Retreat, repeat, harassing them down while taking no damage in retaliation. Meditate off any damage you do take.

He's better at doing this solo bot than top. Although, theoretically, a Yi with Highlander up can Alpha Strike in, get a kill, refresh cooldowns, Alpha Strike again instantly, get another kill, etc, and suddenly everyone is dead. This is incredibly high risk/reward.

It is a somewhat gimmicky build, reliant on DFG or Lich Bane or both to compensate for only having one damaging ability. AP Yi does fall off a bit late-game.

But he can be crazy to lane against. And if you don't have a way to interrupt Meditate, he can be impossible to kill. Underestimate at your peril.

CannonFodder4Hyr

06-02-2012

Im well versed with AS/AD yi and either have an amazing game, or a horrible game. Guess I'll try a few APs and see what happens.

Thanks for the input all.

Nekrogen

06-02-2012

Thread about my favorite bottom lane mage? +1

It is a rather gimmicky build, but there are inherent skills required to play AP yi besides pressing Q. 9/10 you're going to be facing someone who has SOMETHING which can interrupt your W, in which case you need to retreat further back in lane or the brushes to heal up, or wait til their limited CC is used. This said, you should NEVER be facing champs which dish out constant CC + heavy damage like riven, nocturne, alistar, etc.

It will take several games to master the alpha strike pattern to effectively farm the lane + harass from a safe distance. Note that the alpha strike max range is the sum on the max jump range distances, so in theory your jump can go from your point to the enemy's point given enough jump points. It is a really interesting pattern to learn, which is why i love AP yi.

Probably the hardest part about AP Yi is his inherent lack of finishing potential. You can easily poke away at someone's health, but it is very challenging to stop someone from going back from your poke without killing them. Using you ult and E effectively are actually very important for mopping up those unexpected, but important, takedowns. Building CDR early will help you to have alpha strike up very often, but until then you will need to rely on your other abilities and teammates to finish off your opponent(s).

Of course, the main reason I love AP Yi is his sheer poke potential, and the amount of damage that each alpha strike does. Acing their team with your ult and consecutive alphas is extremely satisfying.

HaIfhearted

06-03-2012

When playing AP Yi, it's imperative to obtain max CDR as quickly as possible, because Alpha Strikes CD is brutal without it.

My usual build is Boots/Prospectors Ring/Pots start, then Ionians > DFG > Chainvest/Null Magic Mantle (depends on lane opponent) > Sheen.