Picking a Support toon.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rekcy

06-01-2012

Me and my friends have been wanting to start a ranked 5's team and Im trying to find a support i enjoy. At the moment ive been playing Taric but i feel useless once i use my stun and my aoe and i find myself just standing there. Ive also played Karma but i have a habit of accidently stealing kills.

Any suggestions? [please dont say lulu...she scares me]

MeltedWater

06-01-2012

For tank, try Alistar. His Q and W (a knock up and a knock away) each have 10~15 second recharge (depending on skill and CDR levels; could be more/less) and are both extremely useful at killing, stunning during a team fight, and escaping if need be. His E has a low cooldown which gets lower every time a minion or enemy champion is killed. It's a heal. At max level, with no AP, it only heals your teammates for around 80 health....but if you use that 10 times a fight, theres 800 free HP. To everybody. It makes a huge difference. His ult makes him take WAY less damage. You're not useless in team fights because you can use your Q and W as often as they recharge, but also spam your E.

Soraka is another choice (for non-tank). You stand in the back and just heal. People typically play her with the summoner spell Heal, so with that, her W, and her ult, she has 3 heals. Using your ult in a team fight, you can heal just like Alistar does except all at once, plus she has her W with like a 15 second recharge. She also has her E which silences enemies or can restore your own team's mana in the rare event that they can't get a kill or escape because they're OOM, but could if they weren't. That's not enough? She can literally SPAM her Q (like, 1 second recharge) to lower the resistance of all enemies around her (and it stacks) plus damage them a little.

These are just my 2 favorite supports. Shen is also quite useful in team fights, so I'm giving him an honorable mention although I don't particularly like playing him.

NightShade

06-02-2012

One: It's not always about what you enjoy, you need to pick what best benefits your team; every champion has synergy with other champions (i.e. Support Lux, Janna, or Alistar for CC laning with Caitlyn for damage)

Two: Karma is amazing, you're probably building too much AP if you're stealing a lot of kills, so try aegis or the legion, locket of the iron solari, or shurelya's reverie if it's an issue, but supports will usually get a couple kills, I usually steal one to four per game, depending.

Three: I recommend trying every support, not because of the synergy, but all champs are equal, it just depends on your skill and comfort with them. You feel useless with Taric? Get someone like Sona who usually has to spam (and is far too overrated) skills to be useful, I enjoy Lux, Karma, and Orianna because they're always doing something to be useful, and can do damage and support.

midillusion

06-02-2012

If you are planning to play in a ranked premade team, you will need to be able to play a variety of supports, both aggressive and defensive. The supports you'll need most will probably be:

Leona - very aggressive kill-lane support, she has the most CC of any support champion and with her ulti, it able to lock down multiple opponents for a very long time.

Blitzcrank - another kill-lane support, although a bit harder to use because of his grab, which you have to be careful how to use. If you are facing someone like Alistar, Taric or Leona and you grab them instead of the AD carry, you will most likely lose the fight.

Janna - considered the best defensive support. Her passive is amazing for the whole team, and once you learn to use her abilities, she is almost ungankable, thanks to her tornado. Also fantastic teamfight support, able to disengage fights very easily with her ulti.

Soraka - the best sustainer, Soraka should be picked if you are just planning to farm up for 20 minutes and stay in lane as long as possible. Not as good as Janna in terms of preventing ganks, but her burst healing is the best in the game. Soraka also counters the majority of kill-lane supports since her silence out-ranges most of their initiations. If you see them running towards you, silence them and they have to back off.

With these 4, you can counter any other bot lane you may come across. Apart from those, you have other supports like Alistar, Taric, Sona, Nunu, GP and Fiddlesticks which can be used but aren't as good as the 4 above.

AddSubtract

06-02-2012

Another support you could try is support Nautilus. Lots of utility. Pretty good mobility. Sure, he doesn't get as tanky as he would being jungled, but he's actually a really good kingmaker.

midillusion

06-02-2012

Sorry, I had to laugh when you said Nautilus has good mobility...especially since he is the only melee champion with just 300 base movement speed.

Something Snazzy

06-02-2012

Just so you know (and feel free to check in game), Taric is one of my three most played champions and I have over a 60% win rate with him. And that is with a silver Elo and 300+ games played this season.

Why is he so **** good? Because I choose him EVERY time their team goes AD heavy. Quite frankly, with Aegis, giving 42 armor to your entire team is just too good. Particularly when 3/4's of their damage is AD. Sure Taric can be kind've boring compared to Ali or Soraka but if you make sure to auto attack a lot to refresh heal, he isn't that boring. Plus, all support are going to be slightly less interesting than other champions.

Moral of the story, get good with a few support. Ali, for example, is a great counter to champions who can be interrupted (Fid, Kat, etc). Soraka is great when your team is a bit AP heavy, since starfall can shred the MR of champs that dive into your ranks. Janna instantly provides some great and long ranged CC.

You should always try to fit a support to a situation. Plus, at least in solo/duo queue, support is usually the last champ to pick.

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2012

karma is never played because her base shield/heal is so low and needs a lot of ap to do well, which as a support you don't get a lot of

with supports the main thing is picking a good support that goes with the ad chosen, lets say you are playing a leona graves vs leona ashe

the graves comp will do better since graves can dash q to her stunned target while ashe is more just all autos so a janna goes together with an ashe more for her shield

there was a good picture that had a general list of supports and what AD they go with well I will edit to add this once/if I can find it

Can't find it but I did save it
ashe: sona, janna, soraka, nunu
cait: taric, ali, sona, soraka, leona
corki: sona, soraka, janna
ez: sona, janna, taric, soraka
graves: sona, soraka, leona
kog: nunu, janna, ali, soraka
MF: janna, sona, soraka
sivir: taric, ali, soraka
trist: ali, sona, leona
urgot: soraka, ali, janna
varus: leona, soraka, janna, ali, taric
vayne: taric, ali, janna, leona

blitz really goes with everyone equally if he is good at grabs
lulu is more of a damage/cc support and can go with anyone also, but is often not used since no real support aside from ulti and polymorph