Are my main champions good for ranked?!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Victorious Joker

09-25-2013

What's up ya'll?!

I'm just wondering if my main champions are viable for ranked.

Long short story, I joined in the beginning of the year, I could say by the time Quinn came out, but really didn't put that much attention to her until now, but I didn't have my own account until my cousin decided to create a demacia crew which we are big fan of them so that's where I got the name from.
Alright so that's my story but the champions that I mostly play are:
ADC- Quinn/Graves/Draven
SUPPORT-Zyra/Janna/Taric
TOP-Kha'zix/Vi/Zed/Fiora
MID-Ahri/Ziggs/Twisted Fate
JUNGLE-Vi/Zac

These are the champions I always play with if the enemy team doesn't pick them otherwise I'll pick a random champion which I don't mind doing but I'm just curious about what ya'll think about these champions and if they are viable on ranked, and no I didnt pick: Ahri, Zed, or Vi, because they are being pick on the LCS a lot, I main them because I like them and been using them since I joined the league and back before I created my account, I appreciated any feedback I received, thanks!

CG Big Tuna

09-25-2013

I dont see teemo.

Mcbooze

09-25-2013

this may sound a little harsh but i really don't think you have the skillset or experience to be varying your champ pool so much in ranked. the purpose of ranked is to increase your standing, and if getting to silver is what you really want, then focus yourself on 1-2 roles and 1-2 champs for those roles.

as your skills and experience increase, branching out is more viable.

but hey, if you have fun just filling w/e role, or playing something new every time, then keep doing what you are doing. at bronze 4 i wouldn't be so concerned with what champs you play unless they are a) really weird and hinder you, or b) too high a skill cap for you like zed. but some people just enjoy variety in the ranked context for some reason and don't care much about climbing.

Hiryuu16

09-25-2013

I agree that, if you want to climb up, you need better skills on a fewer champions, not a wide field of options. That said, you should have an AD mid for dealing with Kassadin and a genuinely tanky top option (not Vi, maybe Zac, though).

Victorious Joker

09-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbooze View Post
this may sound a little harsh but i really don't think you have the skillset or experience to be varying your champ pool so much in ranked. the purpose of ranked is to increase your standing, and if getting to silver is what you really want, then focus yourself on 1-2 roles and 1-2 champs for those roles.

but hey, if you have fun just filling w/e role, or playing something new every time, then keep doing what you are doing. at bronze 4 i wouldn't be so concerned with what champs you play unless they are a) really weird and hinder you, or b) too high a skill cap for you like zed. but some people just enjoy variety in the ranked context for some reason and don't care much about climbing.
I mean the point for this game is too have fun right? but at the same time I wanna get to silver and climb higher and if I have to just stick to 1-3 champions then I will definitely do that. If you have any other tip you could tell me I'd be more than grateful. Thanks tho!

Mcbooze

09-25-2013

i don't want to give the impression "only play these 3 champs and only those champs." b/c i agree, that's boring, and part of the fun of the game is mixing things up and playing the variety of champs available.

i just know from experience, climbing out of silver and climbing through gold, that ranked is not the place to vary your strengths. especially as a bronze player, you don't have the mechanics, experience or skill of say a plat to just jump into ranked and play a champ they've had maybe 2 games w/ and be good w/ them.

but just speaking from what i've learned, i ditched champs that made it difficult for me to carry, even though i liked playing them. for example, i played a lot of malzahar. love the champ, he's tons of fun. but i found it hard for me to win games w/ him. i have over 50% but it wasn't consistent enough. so i branched out, tested other champs to see which ones i really connected with.

b/c there will be some champs where you just go "hot damn, i get this guy. i know how to use him." others i developed over a long period of time.

like on my smurf (who is also gold 1), i play a lot of hecarim. my first 5 games on hec were so bad i looked like i didnt even belong in bronze 5. but once i figured him out, he carried me from silver 3 - gold 1 so hard that i even skipped gold 4 and gold 2.

so experiment a bit, but keep it tight. you don't want 50 games where you played a different champ nearly every game. that won't build consistency. you want a champ you have a good feel for that can help you develop the rest of your game.

Victorious Joker

09-25-2013

Quote:
i don't want to give the impression "only play these 3 champs and only those champs." b/c i agree, that's boring, and part of the fun of the game is mixing things up and playing the variety of champs available.

i just know from experience, climbing out of silver and climbing through gold, that ranked is not the place to vary your strengths. especially as a bronze player, you don't have the mechanics, experience or skill of say a plat to just jump into ranked and play a champ they've had maybe 2 games w/ and be good w/ them.

but just speaking from what i've learned, i ditched champs that made it difficult for me to carry, even though i liked playing them. for example, i played a lot of malzahar. love the champ, he's tons of fun. but i found it hard for me to win games w/ him. i have over 50% but it wasn't consistent enough. so i branched out, tested other champs to see which ones i really connected with.

b/c there will be some champs where you just go "hot damn, i get this guy. i know how to use him." others i developed over a long period of time.

like on my smurf (who is also gold 1), i play a lot of hecarim. my first 5 games on hec were so bad i looked like i didnt even belong in bronze 5. but once i figured him out, he carried me from silver 3 - gold 1 so hard that i even skipped gold 4 and gold 2.

so experiment a bit, but keep it tight. you don't want 50 games where you played a different champ nearly every game. that won't build consistency. you want a champ you have a good feel for that can help you develop the rest of your game.
Thanks man, I understand what are you telling me and the mistake I committed was back when I hit level 30 and rushed into ranked and went deep and got into Bronze V then I barely got into Bronze IV a couple weeks ago but now I have been playing more normal games and developing more skills, learning more tactics, and of course one thing I learned on my own and watching better players about the warding system that a lot of people doesn't get.. but my point is that I probably just going to stick with ADC and go from there and hopefully next season goes better and I won't rush into ranked like I did on this season, besides this thank you so much, and don't think that I don't appreciated everything you told me, because I listen and is hard to find this type of people on League

Mcbooze

09-25-2013

adc is always a good choice b/c quite honestly, many of my games are dictated by the quality of the adc. so if you heavily practice your cs and your positioning/aggression, you'll do very well if you practice enough.

ColeTroll

09-26-2013

Quote:

Don't listen to this guy.... you are going to be forced into playing every role in ranked. So it is FANTASTIC that you know how to play 3 or so champs for each role. and yes, ALL of those champions are viable for ranked play.

Mcbooze

09-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeTroll View Post
Don't listen to this guy.... you are going to be forced into playing every role in ranked. So it is FANTASTIC that you know how to play 3 or so champs for each role. and yes, ALL of those champions are viable for ranked play.
this is the logic of a silver 4 w/ 30 games played.

if you are serious about climbing, don't listen to this guy. yea, you will OCCASIONALLY play a role you aren't overly familiar with, most commonly will be support - and that's if you get stuck as last pick.

but you aren't looking to worry about those games. your concern is statistical consistency. the average player that climbs elo has a small arsenal of champs they are highly skilled with. naturally the more skilled you are, the more you can concern yourself with versatility. but you are in bronze, and like i said, don't have the skillset to be that versatile.

it's all common sense really. setting up a gameplan that builds consistency is the best route to climbing elo. or, you can be just another run of the mill bronze/silver player w/ 50 games played and cry about elo hell. for me the choice is obvious, but to others it's like i'm speaking in another language.

your goal in each game IS TO GET the best champs you can play in the best role you can play. that's the best way to secure your wins and to contribute to your team. i've occasionally, in my climb to plat, been forced to play positions i'm not great in, like adc and top. sometimes they were good, sometimes bad. but i didn't build myself out of gold on those games - i built myself out on my jungling skills. THAT'S how you approach a system that focuses on consistently good gameplay, and not one that rewards you for a single game of solid play.