Going From Lux To Ahri?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Strill

06-02-2012

I've been playing Lux almost exclusively, and recently bought Ahri since I need to fill out my roster in order to start ranked games. Problem is I'm having a much much harder time with Ahri than I did with Lux. With Lux my strategy was generally to harass, zone, and farm all at once with Lucent Singularity, then if I ever landed Light Binding, burst them from 100% to 0 with my full combo.

But I'm having trouble adjusting to Ahri. With Lux I could always stay out of range of any enemy champions' attacks while still farming and harassing. With Ahri, however, I have a much more difficult time. Her ranges are much lower than Lux's for one. Even her charm has significantly less range than Lux's Light Binding. (Lux's Light Binding travels quite a bit farther than the indicator shows, unlike Ahri's charm.) This means I have to get in close to get anything off, which means I often lose exchanges. Furthermore, Ahri's Orb of Deception is harder to hit, less damaging, and less damage/mana efficient than Lux's Lucent Singularity, especially if you manage to proc Lux's passive afterwards. That means I have to land more and harder skillshots in order to get the same benefit.

I usually build Sorc Shoes>2xDoran's>Rylai's Staff>WotA>Deathcap, but by the time I get WotA it's well past the laning phase and I never notice the spell vamp. If I try to harass before teamfights it always seems like my Orb of Deception is just out of range. People say that Ahri's ultimate is a great escape skill, which it is, but I find that the only reason I need to escape as Ahri is because I need to get so close to attack in the first place.

With Lux I usually carry games with scores of 10:3, but with Ahri I usually go about 8:7.

Can anyone give me tips on what I'm missing? I think my biggest problem is losing exchanges during the laning phase. What can I try to do to stop this?

BendyBread

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-03-2012

Ahri is more about mobility and more consistent damage. She's slightly assassin-esque as well as having good burst at the cost of her mobility.

Lux is a straight up CC/burst mage. Very different roles. I main both of them and all I can say is: Practice. Having played Lux for a good 3+ months before ahri came out, it was hard adjusting to the smaller range and slighty less bursty damage (depending if you hit charm or not).

PlayGooYa

06-03-2012

It helps to think of Ahri as more of a hybrid-mage assassin. When you get all her conditional abilities off, then hey, a gank's a gank. The rest of the time, she plays like a kiting/harass champ. Ahri's also a little tankier than some mids, if only because Rylai's is an excellent item for her.

Mainly, your job is to farm and not die when you do not have opportunities to gank.

Again, emphasis on the conditional part of her abilities. Q is a skillshot with two stages. W tends to hit minions and is short ranged. E is slow and blocked by minions (and doesn't snare two targets like Lux's CC). R is a trade-off between an escape and a gap-closer and very slow to do its damage.

Ganks come together when you overcome all these limitations. (Minions are a non-factor and they're CC'd long enough for you to land that Q and get most of your R off.) The rest of her kills tend to be clean-up kills in team battles, simply because she's doing sustained damage over the course of the teamfight and can chase pretty effectively with her ultimate.

TL;DR
Ahri's weird. She's a jack-of-all-trades and master of none, insofar as mids go.

Noxian Mercenary

06-03-2012

Ahri and Lux are similar in one regard: When you hit your CC, you unload everything you have (usually).

As Lux, your main job is to snare. After landing your snare (or Kiss, in Ahri's case), throw out a Lucent Singularity, and then your ult if the kill is clear.

Once you get the timing down you can erase 80% of a mid's health in one go.

Here's some general tips to keep in mind in your transition:
-Your E slows enemies in its field, so use it to help escape ganks.
-Your snare can hit two people: Keep this in mind (again, for ganks. But also for saving allies!!).
-YOU HAVE A SHIELD. NEVER forget this, as it pretty much hard-counters ignite. I take it at level 4 or 5, depending on how hard I'm being harassed.
-Your ultimate has incredible range, NEVER forget this. See your tower being pushed? Ult the minions and make the champ take a few tower shots as he walks home with his tail between his legs.
-You are NOT as mobile, and don't forget it. No free escapes.
-For the love of God, do NOT do what I sometimes do. Your E is a two-part spell, in that you throw it, then hit E again to activate it. Sometimes in the thick of things I forget to activate it after throwing all my other spells, and I've actually lost a kill or two because of it. Don't be a me.
-Early game, harass with your E + Autoattack consistently: it's not too hard, and it hurts.

Good luck! Lux is a GREAT end-game support/peel because of her skillset, and is terrifying to deal with.

Tavilicious

06-03-2012

I have been playing Ahri more often than usual, and now she is one of my 3 main AP mids (Lulu and Veigar being the other 2)

What I usually do to keep a game going in my favor is:
-constant movement. I never stand in the same place for longer than a few seconds. It will allow me to dodge most of my opponents abilities, and get me into a cycle of not getting ganked
-for her ultimate, as a beginner Ahri use one dash for initiation, one dash to hit the enemy, and one to escape. After that, you can get into the habit of using it for getting across long distances or leaving ganks

all builds are varied, but I usually build her like this: Rabadon's, Unholy Grail (recently), Morello's, Sorc Shoes, Void Staff/WoA, Archangel's

I have no idea if it is a weird build or not, but it usually gets the job done.

In terms of laning phase, just stick together with a group and make sure you have your ulti up for quick escapes

Chamenas

06-03-2012

I was having this same issue with Ahri when I first started playing her, and still do to some extent. However, I'll expand upon a previous poster's comment of always moving (which I do) and that's to "hit and run". If I'm always moving, my opponent doesn't always know when to expect me to suddenly pop into range and shoot off one of my abilities. By the time they realize I'm in range, I'm already back out of it and my ability is flying off.

Ahri's Orb of Deception is nasty, but it has its limitations. It is a skill shot in the truest sense because you have to get it to hit twice in order for it to do its maximum damage (which then ends up being quite a lot more than most other spells). One tip I saw was to try and hit champs with the "tip" of the spell (its max range), this makes it more difficult to land as there's more travel time, but, if you do it right, if it does hit, it will almost always hit twice because it becomes impossible to juke the second hit.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when you land charm, you definitely get to have two hits with Orb in addition to having Fox-Fire. I use Orb to farm/harass, but I try not to overuse it since Ahri is sort of mana hungry. If you spend the first 20 minutes of the game desperately trying to hit your opponent with Orb, you're probably just going to end up with no mana always having to back off (unless they're really bad). Instead, use your orb to farm and to push them back if you can aim it over minions. If you know you can get a good hit because of where they're moving, use it. Otherwise, try to get your charm timing down, because that's when Orb will be its most effective.

I love playing Ahri and even though I'm still learning and nowhere near being "good", playing Ahri has made me better at other champs too. Just yesterday I picked up Katarina and, in my first game with her I had 22 kills because the innate sense of timing I picked up with Ahri helped me to know when a good time to jump in and ult was.